replacing below deck fuel tank

barrett60

Cadet
I have a 1985 180 fisherman with a 43 gallon below deck fuel tank that has a leak and I need to replace it. Model # of tank is 16-43-AF 18013568 with a date of sept. 1984 and gauge of 090 125. Any suggestions on where I might obtain an inexpensive replacement would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to lose much on my gas capacity so would I need to have a new tank custom made or would it be possible to find a replacement that would fit this size? Or, would it be possible for me to permanently fix the leak myself? I haven't taken the tank out yet so I'm not sure where or how big the leak is in the tank, but I assume it's about midway in the tank cause leak stops when at half a tank of gas. Also, I don't know specific measurements of tank since I haven't taken it out yet, but mechanic at boat shop did assure me that leak is in tank itself. I appreciate any help.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: replacing below deck fuel tank

The most cost effective solutions will be on this site http://www.moellermarine.com/ (iboats carries most of them I believe as do many other sources) If none of those will work....it will probably get more expensive.

timfives

Petty Officer 1st Class

Barrett60. Have you confirmed that it is the tank leaking? I thought my tank was leaking at it was the fill line that was leaking. Is it a steel tank or Aluminum? If it is steel and leaking it is probably shot, but if it is a pinhole and the tank is otherwise solid, then you could probably fix. I've fixed a couple of 4x4 truck tanks, that were solid.

post a couple pictures when you get it out.

T

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer

if its metal take it to a radiator shop.

barrett60

Cadet

the tank is aluminum. I've checked the fuel lines and didn't find the leak there, but plan to take the tank out in the next few days. I've been out of town over the Holidays. I'll update info as I get it. Thanks for all the advice.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Barrett60- please fill out your profile so we can see where you're located.
IMO you should NOT attempt to repair the tank. The tank is old and corrosion has started.

Either find a production replacement or have one built.
If you near NJ get a price from SP sheetmetal. That's what they do. Google 'sp tanks',

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I agree I would not have an alu tank that old repaired...there will be numerous spots where corrosion may have started...but I would check the gasket under the fuel sender first...they can dry out and leak....esp on a full tank.....I'd pull the tank and have it inspected/pressure tested...if bad then get a new one made to the original size...or you could see if a poly tank will fit the space....just make sure you secure it correctly or else it can move around and wear a hole in it....and you're back to where you started....I prefer an alu tank because they are easier to secure right if they have mounting tabs welded on them....

Kevin Morin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
replacing below deck fuel tank

barrett60,

I'd like to suggest that you can make a very informed decision about your old tank regarding rebuilt or replacement.

Many production boats' tanks are not installed as well as we might like, but that is not the only potential for leaks. The first leak source for older welded aluminum tanks is internal acid/water corrosion of the bottom low point. When fuel water separates out into free water it puddles on the bottom of the tank and becomes acidic as it looses its oxygen and that will create a corrosive cell INSIDE the tank.

This is the cause of 90% of internal corrosion- water bottoms left in the tank and de-aerating. Quite unfortunately, in its wisdom the USCG/DOT have regulations that say there will be no openings below the top of gas tanks so.... the nature drain points available to protect aircraft tanks from this normally occurring corrosion are absent in marine tanks. I know that the reg is there to 'help' us but it may have been the reason you and thousands of other boaters didn't "get the water out"?

The second most common reason I've seen for tank failure is external corrosion due to two different causes but having exactly the same results.

Some builders, inadvisedly in my opinion, use urea based foams in the bilges of their metal boats. They foam in place their gasoline tanks and that can result in poultice corrosion as the formaldehyde base foam breaks down into formic acid which is then held against the tank [poultice] externally corroding holes in the tanks' walls.

A related external event is from the metal itself. There is a bright shiny 'mill scale' put onto aluminum sheet when its rolled to enhance release, appearance and saleability. That mill scale is left on finished aluminum products only by the least informed or most cost-cutting builders, perhaps by some in ignorance? Salt or acidic water plus mill scale and the underlying aluminum is a battery, so; the second most common cause of external corrosion I've seen is galvanic corrosion by the mill scale staying wetted in foam poultice. You might as well paint the tank with lead paint!

Fortunately, with today's tool market you can make a very informed choice about rebuilding/repairing/refurbishing the original tank versus replacing it. The tool I'm referring to is the video bore scope, our shop recently got one for a few hundred dollars [Milwaukee brand I think] and got a color, closeup, exact look at the inside of an old gasoline tank. That tool saved the owner hundreds as the tank was nearly 80 gallons. We were able to pin point the two areas of internal corrosion, cut them out, re-weld patches into the wall, air test the welds and send the tank out "as good as new".

If you repair or replace the tank I'd suggest it not be bedded in foam, that it be acid etched with phosphoric acid, inside and out, that it be coated outside with Alodyne and a Americoat 235 epoxy primer and then re-installed on mechanical beds and mount similar to an inboard engine. Any less planning and work is not really seaworthy, even though many builders would consider this level of effort overkill.

If the corrosion is internal and wide spread, patching will cost more than building, if the corrosion is external and widely spread it will be pretty obvious. In either case anyone with a TIG torch and some aluminum experience can give a cost to repair once the problem if completely defined. Then; you can intelligently weigh the options/costs, something very hard to do without a good look inside the tank.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin