Replacement prop brand recomendations

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have a 17.5 Smokercraft with a Yamaha 115 four stroke.
Has what I think is the Yamaha original prop, 16 X 19 K.
I think it's propped about right for most of the time.
WOT is right at 6K.
There are a few dings on the blades and I don't have a spare so looking at buying a new prop.
Think I'll stay with aluminum and see there are a few to choose from here on Iboats and just wondering what brands people here like.
Doing the slip calcs it looks like I have 17% plus a little.
Anyone think one brand over another would be less?
Thanks

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacement prop brand recomendations

Have a 17.5 Smokercraft with a Yamaha 115 four stroke.
Has what I think is the Yamaha original prop, 16 X 19 K.
I think it's propped about right for most of the time.
WOT is right at 6K.
There are a few dings on the blades and I don't have a spare so looking at buying a new prop.
Think I'll stay with aluminum and see there are a few to choose from here on Iboats and just wondering what brands people here like.
Doing the slip calcs it looks like I have 17% plus a little.
Anyone think one brand over another would be less?
Thanks

Seeing as I have a similar boat to yours this thread may be of interest to you? I am still 100% happy with my Turning Point prop, like I stated in this thread, I believe I got SS performance out of a aluminum prop. Good luck...........Irv965
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=269778

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Irv, for the reply and link.
Good info and it sure helped me make up my mind.
I wasn't at work yesterday and for some reason it takes for ever to get on Iboats at home. I have one other website I visit that's acting up as well.
All others work fine.
Oh well. That's an issue for a different catagory.
Thanks again.

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One other question my freinds.
Say I but a Hustler prop and hub kit on and somthinhg happens and I want to put my original back on that I intend toi use a spare.
Is it dificult to replace the hup in the field?
Thanks

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other question my freinds.
Say I but a Hustler prop and hub kit on and somthinhg happens and I want to put my original back on that I intend toi use a spare.
Is it dificult to replace the hup in the field?
Thanks

Depending on the age of your older prop, it may have the hub kit built in so to speak so it will just be a matter of removing the Hustler and putting your old prop back on. When removing the Hustler the hub should come off with prop, if not then the hub kit will still be on the shaft and then simply pull it off. (be careful not to loose the thrush washer when doing so)
The older props, in order to change the hub(in case it is spun etc) will require a press to remove the old one and a press to install the new one. Todays newer props/hub kits pretty much eliminate a press meaning they should be able to be removed with very little effort or a slight tap with an appropriate sized socket etc. Good Luck..........Irv964

mdunn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the input folks.
Have ordered the Hustler 13.5 x 19.
I'll report back.
WOT is pretty much perfect right now with the stock 13 x 19 K and just me in the so we'll see how the Hustler performs.
I may get a 17 pitch for those times when I take a full load.
Thanks again.

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hope your as happy with your purchase as I have been with mine, I really like the gains I seen in all aspects. Just be careful of your rpms if you say you are "Perfect" with your current prop, I gained 200 to 300 with mine so this may put you over? Keep us updated, I am looking forward to hearing your results............Irv964