Replacement Oil Filters

Boilers2000

Petty Officer 1st Class
Everywhere seems to be out of stock of 35-883702Q oil filter. Does anyone if an automotive would work for the fall oil change and wintereization? I can replace later or in the spring, so just need a temporary fix. I guess I could just leave the existing one on also, I don't think it would hurt anything, right?

TIA

alldodge

Staff member
I used wix for many years
SHORT filter wix 51040 or NAPA 1040 same filter different label
LONG filter wix 51036 or NAPA 1036

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
the 4.3s use a smaller diameter filter than the 5.0/5.7s
you could use a Sierra marine filter or an auto application for that engine like a Purolator or Wix...
The Merc and Sierra filters have gotten much smaller over the years, they are easier to install in a tight installation but not sure if they filter as well.
I used both Sierra & Merc over the years, no difference that I could see, or notice.
I have a remote oil filter mount for the 4.3 that I bought from Michigan Motorz. My only hesitancy in installing it is that some say you have to replace the bypass valve with a higher pressure one (30 psi vs 11 psi) some (including the guys at MM) say not necessary. On the 4.3 changing this thing is not as easy as on the V8s because the V8 uses a removable adapter to hold the bypass, the V6 does not (maybe because the diameter of the pad is smaller). The bypass is installed right into a passage in the oil filter mount and with the engine in the boat would be really tough to get at. So not sure I'm installing it this fall. Gotta think about it some more.
It sure would be nice not to have to pull out the rear seats to do an oil change like I've done for 20 years, though.
Wonder if Merc's remote oil filter kits mention this? I saw the parts that go into them, and never saw a different bypass valve.

Attachments

• 4.3 oil filter mounting pad and bypass valve.jpg
    4.3 oil filter mounting pad and bypass valve.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 5

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The WIX filters listed are some of the best. Much better than the private labeled filters in the Quicksilver box

Remember, Mercruiser does not make oil filters, they buy them and put them in their own boxes

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
remember that the 4.3's filter mount is smaller than the 5.0/5.7. So your typical Chevrolet small block filters won't fit.
the gasket OD on the 4.3 filter is 2.73" (69 mm) whereas the 5.0/5.7 one is 3.44" (87 mm).
So if your engine has the filter on the block, search up the Wix catalog and get a filter for a 4.3 equipped vehicle that doesn't use a remote filter mount (some of the Blazers definitely did have a remote mount).
While I've used them, I don't think a marine filter is necessary.

Bondo

Staff member
remember that the 4.3's filter mount is smaller than the 5.0/5.7. So your typical Chevrolet small block filters won't fit.
the gasket OD on the 4.3 filter is 2.73" (69 mm) whereas the 5.0/5.7 one is 3.44" (87 mm).
So if your engine has the filter on the block, search up the Wix catalog and get a filter for a 4.3 equipped vehicle that doesn't use a remote filter mount (some of the Blazers definitely did have a remote mount).
While I've used them, I don't think a marine filter is necessary.
Ayuh,..... I've always run Napa / Wix filters, but don't remember the number for the block mounted 4.3l filter off the top of my head,....

If you have a remote mounted filter, Merc uses standard Chevy filters mounting pattern, in whatever length you need to fit,....

Grub54891

Admiral
I’ve never used quicksilver filters. Napa as they are handy locally.

ScottinAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
at the end of the day, the engine is automotive based, so it gets an "automotive" filter.... much higher volume of sales, better "selection" of brands if your preferred isnt in stock, and likely one of them makes the Mercrusier and Sierra filters.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
You want a filter made by WIX, Champion laboratories, or Purolator.

I would stay away from Allied Signal

nola mike

Vice Admiral
You want a filter made by WIX, Champion laboratories, or Purolator.

I would stay away from Allied Signal
My last foray down the BITOG.com rabbit hole led to the mid/upper level Fram filters as being the best FWIW. I'm using TG on the boat and truck currently. Both cars now use fancy pants euro paper filters.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is so much to know about oil filters and we take it for granted that they are all equal. Normal filters clean 95-95% efficiency. Go with high filtration and you risk oil starvation being too restrictive. On and on. This study was helpful for me and cut thru the hype and marketing BS. I use Purolator red filters for all my vehicles and JD tractor. Good compromise between filtration, quality of parts, cost IMO. Funny enough, I thought Quicksilver was the only option but now I know Purolator has the correct size for my Rinker 5.7 mag.

Oil filter study

Scott06

Admiral

Should cross reference that filter

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
Kind of related. I have Yamaha wave runners. Yamaha wanted $22.99 for one oil filter. The filter is identicle to the filter for my lexus gs300 which I get 3 for $10.00. Identicle part number, identicle shell, only difference is one says Toyota and one says Yamaha. Unbelievable.....

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Kind of related. I have Yamaha wave runners. Yamaha wanted $22.99 for one oil filter. The filter is identicle to the filter for my lexus gs300 which I get 3 for $10.00. Identicle part number, identicle shell, only difference is one says Toyota and one says Yamaha. Unbelievable.....
I use oil filters for a PT cruiser on the lawnmower. Same filter, different label, $3 vs $18 from Briggs.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I think the original filters on these was an AC PF52. Anything that crosses to that from Wix or Purolator would be fine.