Replace plywood decking on pontoon

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I have a 1994 Suntracker pontoon 30'. I just removed the old carpet and railings and am preparing to replace it with new carpet. The top layer of the existing plywood is delaminating, so I am going to replace it. My question is can I use pressure treated plywood from Home Depot, or would I need to find marine grade plywood ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After some reading about pressure treated vs Marine grade plywood, I have come to learn that this is a complicated topic. I may consider sanding off the top layer of delaminated plywood and epoxy a layer with fiberglass cloth. then install carpet. Also, I am not having an easy time finding marine grade plywood here in N.J.

HotTommy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Use marine grade plywood. .... Pressure treated wood is soaked in a chemical that reacts with aluminum and ordinary steel and can cause serious corrosion problems. I have no comment regarding the fiberglass idea.

griggsmars

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yes, I have located a lumber supply that carries the very expensive marine grade plywood. Now I'm looking to find a good sealer for it. Thank you.

captmello

Captain
when I replaced my deck, I sourced some plywood from a local boat dealer that was treated with the old chemicals that do not react with the other metal on the boat. it was also kiln dried following the treatment. very nice stuff. if you go with marine grade, I wouldn't try to seal it. you're just sealing in the water that gets by the sealer.

ahicks

Captain
2nd vote for not sealing marine grade ply. I generally do seal the edges using carpet cement though....

I would also note that down the road several years, it's not REAL unusual to have the floor covering (whatever) lift at the plywood seams. Might be a good plan to use a little extra glue on either side of those when laying it.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
If you don't use marine plywood you can expect to replace the deck every three to five years. Maybe sooner if you lay carpet on top of regular plywood because it just helps the wood rot quicker.
I replaced my decking with marine grade plywood and painted it with Tuff Coat paint. Then I raise the rails around the outside a half inch so that I wash the deck down with a garden hose and a broom.

ahicks

Captain
Raised deck railing here as well. MUCH easier keep the floor clear of "stuff". Excellent plan!

Rabbit929

Seaman
is there any reason a guy cant use a sealer on it? I would think that would keep the wood dry and last alot longer, especially if its a high gloss decking sealer, then glue vinyl or carpet ontop.
Is there a reason that wouldnt be a good idea?

ahicks

Captain
I think many will agree it's nearly impossible to seal a wood surface 100% and have it stay that way it's entire life. When water does make it's way in, the sealer (or whatever) holds it there.

So there's that idea, and taken one step further, decks built using marine plywood will generally go 30 years or longer - with no sealer. When they do finally start letting go, it's nearly always starting from one side, or the seam between 2 panels. FWIW

robert graham

Admiral
Check out a product called Coosa Board….a fiberglass reinforced plastic that never wears or rots….never need to replace again….with the price of lumber lately going up so much, make the Coosa Board more competitive price-wise…