Registering for the Draft

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Registering for the Draft

Sorry Boomyal, just the males is all that has to.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Draft or no draft, don't matter.. Selective Service... Gotta register for selective service at 18, no if's, and's, or but's about it.....

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

register you must! .. check your local post office.<br /><br />simple little form. no big deal.<br /><br />I agree to MY .. but thems the beans.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If a person doesn't register and later tries to apply for some govt program for schooling and others that are available, guess what, not eligible. Everyone is saying the same thing, must register even though there is no draft now. Your risk if you don't register.

spratt

Lieutenant

Failure to register or otherwise comply with the Military Selective Service Act is upon conviction, punishable by a fine of up to $250,000, imprisonment for up to five years, or both. In addition, federal and certain state laws require registration as a prerequisite for obtaining student financial aid, job training, government employment, and U.S. naturalization.

TilliamWe

Banned

First let me say, there is no draft!<br /><br />I registered for Selective Service on July 5th 1990. I also registered to vote at the same time, in the same place! My duties as an American! :D <br /><br />The selective service registration also has language in it that you are to inform them of address changes. I never did that part. :( <br /><br />Just in case you wondered, the government never called me, and to the best of my knowledge, did not use the info I provided to them to "track" me or anything.<br /><br />So it's no big deal, turn 18 register with Selective Service!

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Is,was,and ever shall be LAW.<br />No draft. But REGISTRATION is mandatory.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

A draft is the act of pulling people into the military involuntarily. Right now there is no draft<br /><br />Selective service is the list the military keeps in the case that there ever is a draft. You must register for the selective service in case there is a draft in the future.

ehenry

Commander

theres more that say you have to register than there are than those that don't.....Just talked to one of my best friends whose son turned 18 last week....he said that he had to register.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Go to the post office EF and they will give you what you need.

gaugeguy

Captain

You can even register on-line at the link someone posted above.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

EF, it's the way u worded the question that's<br />giving both yes/no replies buddy ;) <br /><br />he does NOT have to register for the "draft" which<br />was origional question... selective service is a<br />diff. matter and yes, he's gotta register even<br />though SBN keeps saying he don't...

SpinnerBait_Nut

Originally posted by mellowyellow:<br /> EF, it's the way u worded the question that's<br />giving both yes/no replies buddy ;) <br /><br />he does NOT have to register for the "draft" which<br />was origional question... selective service is a<br />diff. matter and yes, he's gotta register even<br />though SBN keeps saying he don't...
Hey I keep saying he does MY. Read my posts please.

ehenry

Commander

SBN says that he does have to sign up for selective service.

spratt

Lieutenant

I think that we are seeing a play on words here. Some say "Yes" and some say "No"...MY says No that one does not have to register for the draft. Well, he is correct in that there is no DRAFT at this time. However, putting semantics aside, ALL young men MUST BY LAW register with the Selective Service upon their 18th birthday immediately or ASAP!!! <br /><br />If the DRAFT is reinstated, the men who have registered will then become ELIGBLE for teh draft.