referbishing my jon boat

mikkkystixxx

Cadet
Hi im new at this and this is my frist boat got in two day ago and i need to no wat steps do i need to take to make it water tight and what stuff i need to use. and what kind of paint should i use like the type not color hoply someone can help

Bondo

Staff member
Re: referbishing my jon boat

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard Mikey,.... Ya gotta tell us more about the tub we're workin' on....

What is it,..?? How big,..?? What material it's made of,..?? etc,..??
And of course, Exactly what needs Fixin'.....

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya Mikky, we need more info, Fiberglass or aluminum, 10 foot 20 foot ect.

If it is a smaller aluminum jon I have put them on saw horses and put sopem water in them and marked all the leaks then you rebuck the rivets.

Be carefull though, water is really heavy and you stand a chance of having the saw horses break or buckle the boat so you only want 2-3 inches of water.

mikkkystixxx

Cadet

ok i have a 14ft jon boat and i am trying to make it water tight. its alumium and has like 5 coghts of paint on it. im trying to get that off. righ now im useing and drill with a sanding head witch is a round one with medium rough sandpaper. i dont really no the year beasuce the guy i bought it off of didnt no. theres no holes but i was woundering what type of stuff can i get to ceal the boat so it doesnt leak. im goin to do that fill the boat with water and mark the leaks

hoply that can tell you alittle bit more about the boat im working on

mikkkystixxx

Cadet

Ya Mikky, we need more info, Fiberglass or aluminum, 10 foot 20 foot ect.

If it is a smaller aluminum jon I have put them on saw horses and put sopem water in them and marked all the leaks then you rebuck the rivets.

Be carefull though, water is really heavy and you stand a chance of having the saw horses break or buckle the boat so you only want 2-3 inches of water.

what is sopem water and if it leaks how do you rebuck the rivets

robert graham

Admiral

I have a well-used and abused 1983 riveted aluminum canoe and I use a wire brush in an electric drill to clean each rivet head inside and out, then put a small blob of the 3M yellow weatherstrip adhesive on each rivet head, inside and out. It's very tough and flexible stuff, seals each rivet and keeps salt water out. No leaks at all! It's really better than that green epoxy melt-on with a torch stuff you buy from Cabelas for aluminum repairs. Maybe once a year or so you can go back over and check each rivet and re-apply as needed. This works like a charm and I don't paint over it. Good Luck

usmarine228

Recruit

i am in the same "boat"! why dont you paint over the 3m yellow weatherstrip? i would think it would seal it and allow for longer life.