Re-wiring my boat advice

nearpar

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 17ft Sea Nymph with a 75hp Mercury outboard. The previous owner made this an electrical nightmare so I completely gutted the wiring and made a new aluminum dash panel. this is going to be primarily a fishing boat and I am adding a Hummingbird combo GPS unit and a 24 volt 80lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor up front. I no longer need the speedometer because the GPS will give me that. My question is do I need a volt meter installed in the dash and maybe one up front for the trolling motor batteries ? What else would you recommend I install as long as I have this thing apart as far as the electrical system is involved ? Lights, voltmeter, bilge pump, Live well pump, Hummingbird unit, horn ? am I forgetting anything ? :)

Thank you in advance for your help.

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Re-wiring my boat advice

I also have a 17 ft sea nymph and I am at same stage. don't forget radio's music and vhf. also may want to put in power port for cell phones or spot light etc. I would include volt gauge. maybe interior light

nearpar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I also have a 17 ft sea nymph and I am at same stage. don't forget radio's music and vhf. also may want to put in power port for cell phones or spot light etc. I would include volt gauge. maybe interior light

Thank you yes the cell phone charger is a great idea ...
:D

gm280

Supreme Mariner

The only gauges I am concerned with in my refurbishing project are Volt, Tachometer, and of course Fuel... Other then that, I personally have zero interest in other gauges for my fishing setup. You can use your voltage gauge for both batteries with a simple switch. Fuel level is always a must and a tach will allow you to see the condition of your engine and prop setup down the road for any problems... But those are just my opinions and likes...

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

You may find this useful as a general guide.

GW Wiring Diagrams 1.jpgGW Wiring Diagrams 2.jpg

NYBo

Admiral

Your HB probably has a voltage display, but I would install a dedicated gauge anyway.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I hope you're not considering lights and a horn optional. Navigation lights are required (you never know when you might get caught out after dark). A horn is required although nothing says it has to be a 12v horn hardwired to the boat. I would want it that way.
I would certainly think a bilge pump is a necessity as well. It could help save the boat from sinking some day.
My wiring advice would be to up-size you're main wires bigger than you need right now, also, put in a fuse panel with more fuses than you need right now. This will make upgrades and additions much easier down the road. Also, don't skimp on the wire. Use marine wire, not house wire or something else.

nearpar

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The diagram is very helpful thank you !

dozer1013

Seaman

I'm kinda in the same place rewiring and the diagrams are great but I'm wondering where the 24v TM fits in?

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class

The diagram is very helpful thank you !
hows the wiring going? my brother in law got mine all wired up sunday :D. glad he was there because my electrical knowledge is touch to wires together and no sparks and I must have got it. :facepalm:

NYBo

Admiral

I'm kinda in the same place rewiring and the diagrams are great but I'm wondering where the 24v TM fits in?
It would be totally separate from the 12V system. If it runs only on 24V, you would have 2 deep cycle batteries connected in series with two wires running to the receptacle for the TM.

dozer1013

Seaman

It would be totally separate from the 12V system. If it runs only on 24V, you would have 2 deep cycle batteries connected in series with two wires running to the receptacle for the TM.

I was afraid of that. So we're now talking about 4 batteries
1 for Cranking
1 for House
2 in series for the 24v

What about tapping the 24v system to run the 12v. I see a lot of people talk about doing that

dozer1013

Seaman

You may find this useful as a general guide.

View attachment 201731View attachment 201732

A couple questions please...

In the first diagram, what purpose does the battery switch serve. I know it allows for switching between 1 or the other or both batteries but why have it in that layout?

And on the 2nd diagram, there is a fuse panel itself but also fuses on the switch panel. Are fuses in both places needed?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In the first picture. If you anchor (engine off) you can turn the switch to battery 2 to run lights, electronics and any other items. If you run that battery down too low to start the engine, you can turn it to position 1 and start the engine. After the motor is running you can turn the switch to both and combine the batteries to charge them back up. There are options for keeping the starting and house systems separate automatically.

View attachment ACR wiring.pdf

In the second diagram, the fuse panel feeds the switch panel with a 25A fuse. Not all circuits are on a switch. However, if you want to use feed the switch panel directly from the battery, that can be done too, but you wouldn't have a fuse panel then.

If you want, once you decide on what you want to use, let me know and I can make a drawing up for you. Similar to the ones in this thread. (kind of a hobby of mine)

dozer1013

Seaman

In the first picture. If you anchor (engine off) you can turn the switch to battery 2 to run lights, electronics and any other items. If you run that battery down too low to start the engine, you can turn it to position 1 and start the engine. After the motor is running you can turn the switch to both and combine the batteries to charge them back up. There are options for keeping the starting and house systems separate automatically.

View attachment 202317

In the second diagram, the fuse panel feeds the switch panel with a 25A fuse. Not all circuits are on a switch. However, if you want to use feed the switch panel directly from the battery, that can be done too, but you wouldn't have a fuse panel then.

If you want, once you decide on what you want to use, let me know and I can make a drawing up for you. Similar to the ones in this thread. (kind of a hobby of mine)

That would be great!

Here's what I have, if you feel like it, a drawing as to how I might wire it all up would be great!

The boat is an '88 Nitro fish n ski
on board is:
Single outboard with trim (3 trim switches bow/throttle/stern)
24v TM (current plan is two set up two 12v in series for the 24v and tapping that set up to draw the 12v...don't really want 4 batts on board)
Fish finder
gauges (trim, fuel, mph, rpm) all bundled on one cable assy
AM/FM/CD
(2) LED interior lights
Nav lights
live well (assume there's a pump but haven't gotten that far yet)
bilge
aerator

Would like to add:
12v socket (for cell phone charging etc)
horn

I have already purchased a Blue Sea 5026 fuse block
Wouldn't mind having a centralized switch panel either

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Don S

You need to start a thread of your own dozer, this thread is nearpar's wiring on his boat.

EDIT: I thought I was answering the OP's questions, not the hijack. I'm not going to get involved in trying to put a dual voltage system together.

Last edited:

dozer1013

Seaman

You need to start a thread of your own dozer, this thread is nearpar's wiring on his boat.

EDIT: I thought I was answering the OP's questions, not the hijack. I'm not going to get involved in trying to put a dual voltage system together.

understood, not my intent to "hijack" anything, just replying to replies

my apologies nearpar

Don S

Just start your own thread and ask whatever you want. I can put together a drawing.

gatorfan6908

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just so ya know... eBay has GREAT deals on marine grade wiring, fuse panels, and connectors. Saved me a few $100. Genuinedealz was the seller if I remember correctly.