re-painting a cowling

Gr8fshrmn01

Recruit
Can anyone lend a helping hand on how I might go about re painting a 2003 Merc 150 cowling. It is sunbeat and scratched, faded. I have new decals and I am ready get started. Let me know If anyone has some tips! Thanks a bunch guys!

BitterSweet

Cadet
Re: re-painting a cowling

I can deffinatly help you with that. I specialize in aircraft composites and painting.. that being said i need answers to a few questions so I may further assist you.

First I assume that fairing is fiberglass and covered in gelcoat?

What color are you going to be painting it? The reason I ask will determine wether you will have to use a primer or not although it is suggested.

Lastly any thought of what paint you are going to use? my suggestion would be to use a single stage polyurethane.

BitterSweet

Cadet

I just realized it was an engine cowl. Ok so here is your approach.

First, remove from motor, remove sticker and sticky residue (3m adhesive remover or similar) and clean the cowl with a soap that is suited for degreasing.

Scuff the cowl with 220 sand paper

blow off with compressed air, and wipe with a prep sol (or the solution i use 3:1 - water:denatured alchohol (i like this because it evaporates quickly and does not leave streaks) with a cotton cloth or tack cloth

If you have nicks or scratches you wish to fix this is the time to do it as the filler will soak up the primer some what and once the primer is down you will be able to see if the repair needs more filling.

Next coat the the fairing in either gel coat (spray) or more simply with a thick filling primer. 2 -3 coats as directed on the can of primer. you can use any primer you like, epoxy primer or something else but i would suggest a urethane based primer that is specific for filling and sanding (only if the glass was showing through the paint prior to starting) otherwise you do not need a sanding primer.

when the primer is cured wet sand it with 320 sand paper and then 400 if you wish but is not really nessesary if you use a poly paint as if fills voids well.

again blow it off and wipe it with solution

mix paint by manufactures directions and spray with 2-3 coats,

I assume you know how to spray and set a spray gun but if not feel free to get a hold of me and i will help you get set up

Also where ever you get the paint ask for a spec sheet for the primer and for the paint also called tech sheet or msds sometimes, this is all the detailed info that will help you when spraying and knowing drying times and compatibility of products etc.

good luck

Gr8fshrmn01

Recruit

Yeah, I think I can get all the prep work done. I am a little worried abotu the finishing work! Thats where I dont want to mess up. When, or would I even put a good coat of clear on there? What do you think!

BitterSweet

Cadet

If you use a good single stage paint like a polyurethane then you will not need a clear coat. shoot two med wet coats on it with lets say for example Imron (made by dupont) and you will never need a clear coat. this stuff will with stand you running a razor across the finish. not like automotive paint. you can polish it as much as you want to. I use this paint often when painting aircrafts which are subjected to much more elements than boats and i never clear them. I just hit is with a buffer two days after its dry. If you mess up, who cares, its part of the experience, wait till its dry, then sand it and respray. shoot me a private message if you need any more help. good luck.