firing problem

lyn battles

Cadet
i recently bought a 86 vip 350 with a cobra drive andhe said the timing was off.but the distributer cannot move it has a vacuum advance and its hitting on the shift bracket on the intake.so cannot rotate any farther. but the back cylinders 357 while its runnin I pull the wires off them and it does not effect the motor with all 3 wires off. it dosnt idle real good but does really good at wot. would timing cause the wires to do this. should I buy a dist.without vacuum advance

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: firing problem

You dont have fire on 3 cylinders, so it doesnt do real good on top eather.
Read the trouble shooting in the manual, and read the Adult Only section at the top of this forum.
Follow all the steps one at a time, and you will be running good in no time.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

From what I have learned.........marine engines do not use vacum advance distributors, so it sounds like you have an automotive distributor.

And if you're only firing on 5 cylinders I doubt you are making WOT (under load).

Think you need to look a little closer........

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

If a cylinder balance test shows no response then a compression test is needed next. Marine motor do not have vac. advance systems. You most likely have a auto type .

lyn battles

Cadet

I will try to post a picture I don't have a comp. im using a cell phone.I think it is a automotive dist. would this cause my problems should I replace with a dist.without vacuum advance?

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you have a vac advance then yes replace it. Someone has put a automotive dist. in it.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Do you know if the spark plug firing order is correct ?1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2.
Do you have spark coming from the plug wire itself?
Do you have points ?

jack gardner

Seaman Apprentice

possibly a vacume leak on intake manifold .but take a compression test if compression good check 4 manifold leak