Rant!

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rant!

DUI checkpoints are inconvenient, yes, but I don't view them as un-American. Driving is a priviledge, not a right.<br /><br />I would just like echo comments already made. The "where are you coming from" question is perfectly appropriate, and serves several purposes.<br /><br />First, it creates a dialog for the officer to check patterns of speech and look for signs of intoxication, like slurred speech. Most signs of intoxication come from interaction, it's very difficult to determine a person is drunk if they are sitting still and silent.<br /><br />Second, the reason THIS specific question is asked is to look for stumbling, hesitation, or other signs of a guilty conscience. If the suspect just came from a bar, they're certainly not going to say so, but may quickly become entangled trying to come up with a lie.

txswinner

Banned

Exactly, gives the officer an opportunity to "check" no probable cause. Next week he might want to check if you have a gun in your house etc. Sarcastic but that inch foot thing.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Originally posted by DJ:<br /> Flahthead said:<br /><br />
I have no life?? At least I do more than sit in front of a computer screen all day and all night. No offense of course. Sorry JB but you threw the first stone. <br />
You were WAY out of line on that comment. Without JB, this board would not be a place where we could go and spout off, CIVALLY.<br /><br />
DJ I completely agree with you on that point. You and I have been around long enough to know that. I did apoligize to Jb for that remark on my last post on this thread, though I have not seen a reply. I hope it's water under the bridge.

D

DJ

Flahthead,<br /><br />I know you did apologize. Sometimes it's better to just use the edit button. You know, your own PERSONAL poof. ;) :D <br /><br />I could read your frustration. I hope, all is better now.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> <br /><br />Deputydawg, what would your response be to someone who gave you that type of a reply?

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> <br /><br />Deputydawg, what would your response be to someone who gave you that type of a reply?
I would not have been in that situation in the first place because I will never pull a dui checkpoint. They are not right in my opinion and only cause ill feelings.<br />However I do ask all of the people I stop things like where are you going, what are you doing there, where you coming from. That is just good interdiction work. There is nothing that says anyone has to answer, and nothing wrong with my asking. I usually do it in conversation, so it doesn't offend anyone. I would guess by Flahthead's post the officer was pushy or came across as being above everyone. <br />If someone said this to me to my question I would instinctvly try to make them feel small. I would say something like your right it is none of my business, I was just trying to make conversation. I might ask if they are hiding there whereabouts for a reason. If I had other reasonable articulable suspicions of things wrong I would add this statement to the list and request a search of the vehicle. But if I had no other suspicions about the person I would simply tell him that I was extending a hand of friendship while I had them stopped and trying to ease the passing of the time we were out here. <br />I have worked with officers like what Flahthead probably had that would get angry and take it as an insult. Therse officers would then request a search based on this atitude, demand to have answers to their questions, and even threaten jail if the question was not answered. That is all wrong. I would also inform them that it was their right to keep that information from me if it bothered them to tell me a little about themselves.<br />We need to remember that we are professionals and can not be offended when we are treated poorly. We also need to remember that everyone has the right to privacy in their personal affairs including not talking to us when we want them to. Finally we need to remember that the motorist we stop is just like us with a personal agenda, personal worries, personal stress and all that life brings with it. We usually add to this and are so often the target of the agression that comes with it. I live my life in the worst 15 minutes of everyone elses life. That effects me in a certain way, but it also effects everyone else in their own way.<br />Not a real answer to the question about what I would do, but every situation has a different circumstance that directs peoples actions. <br />When I hire and train officers I look for and train for people that are like sponges so that they can absorb all of the peoples harsh words and actions, then wring them out into the toilet where they belong.<br />Once in a while I go off like I did on my first post here, and I again appoligize to everyone for what I said. <br />The last thing I teach all the officers I train, be polite, be professional, and be nice. When that doesn't work anymore then end the contact if at all possible. There is no winning or losing in these situations, and pride has no place inside of a uniform.

magster65

Commander

Impared driving 'counter attack' (they call it) is sponsored by our provincial motor vehicle insurance company (ICBC = Insurance Corporation of British Columbia). ICBC sponsors (with our auto insurance money) a program which pays police to work overtime to conduct 'road blocks'. They're everywhere here... and all the time. This program is merited on the number of citations and lisence suspensions that are handed out. I haven't heard mentioned the false accusations... that occur frequently I'm sure. These officers are not the friendliest people you'd meet in your day if you know what I mean. They need to find something wrong to warrant the checks... makes things tough at the road blocks. I've been to the station to provide a breath sample before. I was friendly, polite, passed my sobriety test but they took me in because my eyes were red. I wasn't drinking anything, I don't smoke pot or do drugs but I have allergies. This is farm country... my eyes are red all summer! The cop didn't believe me I guess. His manner was ok but his actions ticked me right off. Is this fair?

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Deputydawg<br /><br />Actually I meant what would your response have been to MY suggested answer, politely stating ones objection to answering the question based on privacy issues...

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

In that case I would have said fair enough, finished my business and ended it there. I know this because it has happened more than once. Havwe to swallow some pride and let it go, then wonder later what they were hiding.<br />I hear you there Magster. Here we have to have a reasonable suspicion to test someone for alcohol. This is made up of 3 or more indicators such as driving patterns with bloodshot watery eyes and slow pupil reaction to light, poor hand eye coordination, strong odor of alcoholic beverage, and so on. The bloodshot eyes are 1 indicator, but alone mean nothing. We then have to administer feild sobriety tests. These are very simple maneuvers designed to divide the subjects attention like stand with their feet together and count, touch finger tips together and count. Very simple tasks but when a second task is thrown in like counting a drunk will do poorly. We also use what is called HGN, Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus. That is the involuntary jerking movement of the eyes. A sobor person can track an object from side to side with their eyes moving smoothly, and hold their eyes at maximum deviation (look out the corner of their eyes) for a few seconds. A drunk can not, and their eyes will bounce side to side at maximum deviation. This is an involuntary reflex brought on by depressants like alcohol.<br />Then we need to do a preliminary breath test. After that we need to do a chemical test which gives a printed record like a blood test sent to a lab. <br />This makes it impossible for us to falsly accuse someone if we follow the rules. ALthough with all of the regulations on these cases they are the easiest to beat in court.

FLATHEAD

Captain

DD your a good guy, We need more like you out there on the streets. Your statement of "I live my life in the worst 15 minutes of everyone elses life" Is absolutely Right on. <br /><br />Bottom line is I really do have the uppermost respect for cops, they have a tough job. Like I said one of my best friends is a cop. As a matter of fact I am the god father of their first child. I sent my oldest boy to collage and he had a criminal justice major. Nothing more I would like to see than him become a police officer. But I'll tell ya this much, I expect him treat people with respect, not arrogance. Thats where the problems begin.

D

DJ

Flahthead,<br /><br />I know your a good guy.<br /><br />Chalk it up to experience. Just thank your lucky stars it wasn't an IRS agent. :eek: ;) :D