Rant!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Rant!

Did you really say "none of your dam business" to a cop? Where you surprised by his reaction? That's not a rhetorical question, I'm seriously curious whether you knew you were provoking him.<br /><br />Anyways, at least you DC where you can come to rant, and get the support of your friends. right? ;) :cool:

KRS

Banned

I think he had the right to search you before conducting any tests to be sure you didn't pose a threat to him or the public.<br /><br />I still can't see anything wrong with his response given your hostility to him.

txswinner

Banned

Right, he is an officer of the law and therefore owes you nothing in the way of personal freedom or rights of privacy and your are darn lucky you were not in a subway or he could have shot you 5 times in the head.

dakk1

Chief Petty Officer

I believe that:<br /><br />DUI checkpoints are a means of getting drunks off the road and probably save lives.<br /><br />It wasn't any of his business where you came from or was going to.<br /><br />You can't fight City Hall.<br /><br />You should have used more diplomacy.

FLATHEAD

Captain

First off It been a long day at work. Second,, apology accepted JB and I too would like to extend an olive branch your way. Personal insults are pointless<br /><br />Bottom line is I think DUI checkpoints are about as un American as it gets. I really don't think you guy realize the jist of what went on. It wasn't like I was screaming at the cop, or even belligerent. I just told him what I thought in a nice even tone, if he don't like it I guess that badge gives him the right to treat me like a criminal, so I guess I asked for it. Fact is I'll never be cooperative in a DUI stop, I feel that strongly about it. <br /><br />To each his own and lets agree to disagree and put this to bed.<br /><br /> By the way Txwinner before you get to proud of me and figure me as a liberal, I am a pretty conservative guy, a republican I might add.<br /><br />------------------------------------------------- "It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect<br />his country from its government."

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I cant believe some people here approve of the cops actions.<br /><br />They should train police specifically not to ask "where ya coming from" or "where ya going to" cause that is a privacy issue.<br /><br />Also, some of yall forget that Flathead was stopped for doing NOTHING wrong. Police should have a different attitude when doing checkpoints.<br /><br />Ken

crab bait

Captain

next time lie.. tell um' sumthin'.. <br /><br />commin' from the store .. commin' from church.. commin' from yo-mommas' house..

Realgun

Commander

Do you want me to stop or slow down?<br />
:D <br /><br />Oh and when the nice policeman asks you where you are and where you come from be nice and tell him.

BrettNC

Petty Officer 1st Class

The officer was probably making conversation to make sure you were sober and with it. He probably didn't care at all about where you came from or where you are going. When at a checkpoint just go with the flow. You have nothing to hide, so why be defensive? <br /><br />Fortunately the great majority of officers are responsible and do their jobs very well.<br /><br />Don't get me wrong. Dumb questions and actions that are unwarranted and a waste time are normally a sign of an incompetent officer who wants something easy to do. <br /><br />By the way, here's a stupid question:<br /><br />"Do you have any guns, knives, grenades, rocket launchers, or nuclear weapons on you?"<br /><br />It's supposed to be a psychological question to help determine if the person has anything to hide based on how nervously the person answers the question. The correct response is to laugh and ask for clarification. Most people get nervous when they are pulled over and have a nervous reaction when asked the question, regardless of whether they have anything illegal or not. Some just think the officer is an idiot for asking and have no reaction to the silly question. Either way it is a useless and annoying question.<br /><br />There are worse things going on in the world anyway. Just wanted to rant.

txswinner

Banned

I went to the Police Chiefs office when a cop asked my 19 year old daughter if she lived alone during a improper lane change stop. I almost went to the slammer over that one.

D

DJ

Flahthead said:<br /><br />
I have no life?? At least I do more than sit in front of a computer screen all day and all night. No offense of course. Sorry JB but you threw the first stone. <br />
You were WAY out of line on that comment. Without JB, this board would not be a place where we could go and spout off, CIVALLY.<br /><br />As for your experience. I'll say this.<br /><br />1. Respect goes a long way.<br /><br />2. Politeness goes a long way.<br /><br />On the other side:<br /><br />1. Police, like other government officials, tend to flex their muscle, when they can.<br /><br />I do not deal with the latter number one because I exercise the prior numbers 1 and 2.<br /><br />In the Police defense. You wouldn't want that job. They deal with every @##$$%& idiot out there. <br /><br />You'd be defensive too. <br /><br />And yes, "profiling" catches moire crooks than not.

txswinner

Banned

I disagree, JB does a good job and is appreciated but if anyone jumps in the water they must be able to swim. There is sharks in them there waters.

txswinner

Banned

Also, this is not a police state. Law enforcement must obey the laws and honor our individual rights in all situations. I keep seeing the remarks it is a voluntary army so they can go die and fight. I do not recall a draft for police. If police overstep their bounds and nothing is done, the authority will keep reducing our rights.

D

DJ

TXS,<br /><br />We're the sharks and JB is the prey.<br /><br />You have NO idea about how much he cares for this board and how much time he puts into it.<br /><br />He only wants us to be civil. Differing, yes.<br />Not a big wish, in my book.

D

DJ

TXS,<br /><br />You're missing the ENTIRE point of the word VOLUNTARY.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Flahthead....I owe you an appology. It was a bad day for some reason hit me the wrong way. <br />I must agree though that random DUI checkpoints are effective but are BS. I will never do one here, and will never allow my officers to do one. We do however do safety checks. We stop every car, check license registration, headlights and brakelights. We do not write very many tickets here, but we do let a lot of people know brake lights, headlights etc are broken. It amounts to about a 2 minutes delay total. <br />We can not request a breath test at random either. We must have probable cause to request one. The same way with waiting at a bar parking lot for the drunks to leave, just not right.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Flathead,<br /><br />Surely you can think of a better way to convey your philosophical disagreement that you need to answer his question than "none of your damn business".<br /><br />I'm guessing that by presenting your objection to the question in a polite, respectful way, you might have gotten your point across and provided him with what he was really after; a general guage of the state you were in (both from a drinking perspective and from one that might indicate behaviour corellated to some other criminal activity). <br /><br />Perhaps something like "No offense, officer, but I view that type of question as an infringement on my personal right to privacy. Can I ask why you would want or need that information as part of a generalized road check?"<br /><br />Deputydawg, what would your response be to someone who gave you that type of a reply?

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by LakeLivin:<br /> ..... Perhaps something like "No offense, officer, but I view that type of question as an infringement on my personal right to privacy. Can I ask why you would want or need that information as part of a generalized road check?....."<br />
Exactly, precisely what I would have said, HAD I chosen not to tell him.

salty87

Commander

i don't like checkpoints either but i can't really think of any time when the response, "that's none of your damn business" is really appropriate. certainly not when dealing with the authorities.