Rant!

magster65

Commander
Re: Rant!

I have to agree. It's none of the cops business where you've been but mouthing him off will only cause a hassle... every time. Some cops abuse the authority but you shouldn't get lippy if he asks a question you don't like. Take it easy man. Life's too short to worry about that stuff.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Best check the law in Pa regarding antique plates before you go off half cocked. I might know a thing or two about antique bikes.<br /><br />So we all agree the cop was wrong,, but somehow I am a smartass, hostile, mouthing off guy that desreved to be treated like a criminal. :confused: I gave the guy the exact same respect he gave me.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Reminds me of a time a few years back. A citizen asked me to patrol his street because of all of the speeders on his street. The ONLY person I caught TWICE was him. Hmmm?<br />Also, what would YOu do if your family member got ran down by a drunk driver? You would blame the COPS for not preventing that one drunk on that one street from hurting someone you know. <br />Obviously you are confused, the LOCAL COPS do NOT have authority over the MEXICAN BORDER. If we did, I would not be here right now. <br />Of course we are going to ask everyone where thet are coming from, where they are going, what they are doing. In part to be friendly, in part to pass the time smoothly, and in part to know who we are dealing with. Did you know in your infinate wisdom that 90% of all drunk drivers, the biggest sign is combative behavior or beligerant behavior? Was it that big of a deal and such a horror to your life that you couldn't just say at a fund raiser? I would be proud of coming from something like that and would want someone to know. Or were you searching for a fight? I do not agree with the checkpoints either, but how else can we appease all of the complaining ignorant citizens when they cry about their friend or relative or child that was killed by a drunk driver? Sure YOU don't drink and drive, but how is the cop to know, especially when you show a beligerant attitude just like a drunk would. I bet you also did not know that it is not always easy to detect drunk drivers just by a simple traffic contact. One way to tell if they are drunk is to talk to them. Sure some smell like a drunk, but I am sure you also know that alcohol has no oder. Drinks like vodka, everclear and a few others have no oder left behind. Also a bike rider smells less like booze when drunk because they are airing out, so how to tell, talk to them a few seconds. <br />I am sure you are right, that cop out there earning $25000 a year is interested in nothing more than lining the courts pockets. In most states that is the exact reason that the courts do not collect the money from fines and such. In most areas it would be much better NOT to arrest anyone, it always costs way more than is ever recovered. I am sure that cop is just interested in nothing more than #1 dispensing taxpayers money on public defenders. #2 spending over $100 of the courts money on alcohol testing. #3 spending money out of the Sheriffs budget to jail and house that drunk. All well over the court costs. <br />yes, drunk checkpoints are not pleasant, they hold us up for a few minutes. But they have proven to be effective in getting drunks off of the street. Maybe just maybe that drunk they did take off of the street was the one that would have ran your rear over a few miles down the road. Just maybe.<br />A last parting thought. When you go out and scrape the remains of a 3 year old child off of the road, yes I said scrape...smeared over 23 feet. Then pick up the dead father after watching the mother die in front of you....then and only then will I sit back quietly and listen to your tirade of how important you are that you should not show the common courtesy at a DUI checkpoint. <br />Sorry to offend all here, but I get kind of fed up. And really sorry to go off like this Flahthead. But like I said, the memory of a little girl only recognized by her bloody dress and a clump of blond hair is something that I will live with forever because of a drunk driver. I will fight and do everything I can to get them off of the street so this never happens again and in this I don't care who I offend. In reality the only appology I really owe is to that little girl because I wasn't there to save her and her family. Or maybe to her 6 year old sister that is now living with grandma and grandpa. Oh yeah, the drunk came out without a scratch and of course it was not his fault!

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Flahthead-a tip. If the cop asks you where you've come from, smile sweetly, point back up the road and and say 'that way'. Always works for me-and riding THIS <br />
y472-1surv.jpg
<br />then I've gotta be a good boy. <br /><br />All that giving them an attitude will do is get you hassled and delayed-rather than getting you on your way ASAP.

FLATHEAD

Captain

Point taken DD. I just dont agree that a dui checkpoint does much good at all. Within ten minutes of it being set up all the bars in the county know,make an announcement and so the real drunks are out there driving avoiding the checkpoint. All the while all the local cops are at one spot stopping folks on the way home from church. How is this helping anything?? <br /><br />As far as the border is concerned I am not talking Mexicans, I am talking middle easterners, they are flowing across the southern border unabated.The Canadian border too. Maybe instead of the fed setting aside money for checkpoints it could be put to better use. But thats another story.<br /><br />I dint think I am so important that I don't need to stop, believe me the cop knew I was not drinking but he chose to pry and it was none of business. Had you been there you might have seen who the one with the attitude was. The cop was so full of himself it was not even funny. <br /><br />Call me what you will, think what you want. I totally disagree with checkpoints and will never be happy when stopped in one.

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Went through a Random Breath Test (RBT) road block midday last thursday.<br />Took a few minutes as they stopped everyone on a 2 lane carriage-way. <br />They had a dozen or so Cops standing spaced out at 1 vehicle intervals. <br />They waived in a doz cars. <br />My Cop reached down for a new gadget to attach to the machine, fitted it and waited for the nod, when they all stepped forward, and we all got to blow in the bag, and yes, the cop I had asked me similar questions to those asked of you. <br />Where's the point in taking offence.<br />I know the day things go wrong for me on the road or at home, the 1st call I make for help will probably be to the Cops, so I treat them with the greatest respect and am thankful for their presence in Society, and I will answer any Q they ask with pleasantness.<br />Oh yes, there were 3 cars pulled off to the side with 'activity' occuring around them so guess the Cops efforts may not have been a complete waste.<br />If I am going to become engrossed in something, I try and make it something important.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

FLATHEAD

Captain

Wow Phil I feel sorry for you guys. Talk about guilty until proven innocent. They also took your guns.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Ohio has these checkpoints also. When I was into the racing scene with my brother, we got stopped awhile back at one. He was driving the tow vehicle with the race car on the trailer.<br /><br />By the time we hit the checkpoint, my brother had consumed about 5 beers. Cop asked for the license/reg along with other questions. This must have been a smart cop because he saw that race car and knew we were coming home from the races. Fresh mud on the car was a dead giveaway. The cop gave my brother back his license/reg and told him to go on. All of us in the suburban just couldn't believe my brother made it through. <br /><br />Sad thing is that I have known other people (which should be actors) make it through also without being detected. So are these checkpoints really efficient on nailing the DUI people?<br /><br />One thing I learned in my early years, "You cannot show any disrespect for a cop no matter how bad of a day you had".<br /><br />I can understand your rant Flathead, but like others laws we don't like or want, we must still follow them regardless of what we think. Yeah it sucks, but it is another part of being an American. Hang in there bud, at least this time it didn't cost you anything except grief!

Kiwi Phil

Commander

The innocent don't seem to have an issue with RBT's over here. There actually seems to be an attitude that the more RBT's are around, the better. <br />Last nights news covered a mass RBT operation down on the boarder, late at night, when drinkers left one area to go to the clubs on the Gold Coast. A weekend ritual so to speak. The cops sealed off EVERY road with RBT units and bagged offenders in numbers.<br />The message is, don't drink and drive, and if you, like me last week, have to loose 4-5 minutes of your day to go through the process, then it is worth it.<br />Also this last weekend, our State of 3million lost 11 people dead to Road Traffic Accidents, (4 x 17yr olds in one) and alcohol was probably one of the factors in some of these fatals.<br />Personally, if you are innocent, then it is a small price to pay.<br /><br />A question on the side Flathead.<br />A while back we use to see a TV series out of the USA called Cops (?). <br />What use to amaze us was the rigmerole your Cops had to go through when they had a suspect under the influence of alcohol. It would show them doing all sorts of tests, like walking a straight line, to prove drunkeness.<br />Don't you use breath-a-lizers? <br />Here, they say,'blow in the machine'. If the crystals or whatever they are turn some colour, you are off to the cop shop for another test, and if that is positive, then you get a blood test. If you refuse to blow in the machine, you are on your way to the cop shop too. <br />The major weakness in the system seems to be, hardend offenders looses their licience but continue driving anyway.<br />Cheers<br />Phillip

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I think that officers are trained to notice tension in citizens they are interviewing.<br /><br />To reduce that tension they are to make small talk, get the person to relax. I have been asked where I was going, where I had been, how long I have worn a beard, where I got my silver belt buckle, and other open ended questions to get me to relax and see the cop as just another human being doing his/her job.<br /><br />If/when that gets a hostile response the officer needs to find out why and what the person may be hiding, if anything.<br /><br />An officer must try to be courteous, but more important an officer must control the situation.<br /><br />You ran afoul of that system, FH. Give the cop a break. (S)he may have just finished cleaning up a crash in which a drunk killed some more innocents.<br /><br />I apologize for the "Get a life" remark. I did it to demonstrate to you what happens when someone throws a hostile remark in your face. Ticked you off, didn't it? Now think about the cop. How do you suppose he felt?

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our state Attorney General ,after driving into a ditch this spring with a state car after just a few glasses of wine, refused a breathalizer test. She's still in office. Why should anyone show respect when the "Top Cop"evades the law?

dolluper

Captain

In your opinion there Flathead you met a bad cop ,just think about it you know a good one too.Next time your pulled over you have 50/50 chance bad or good.I also drive bikes they equal cop magnets,I drive fast cars and trucks also cop magnets.It's always a pain to be pulled over but it sort of goes with the terrorty or just pain luck.There are some over vellious [mostly rookies]and some great and interesting cops just like any other profession good and bad.Any bad experiences I've ever had by bad ones I've reported their badge # to their Staff Sargent,only way to weed out the bad ones or change them in being more professional and diserving respect.Standing up for your rights is something you must always do but with good cops you don't have to,they respect your rights Good Luck next time I'm sure there will be more pull overs

KaGee

Admiral

Flathead,<br /><br />If you truly feel violated, then file a complaint.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Last year around Xmas I went through a DUI checkpoint on purpose. It was very obvious that there was a checkpoint ahead (flashing signs, big traffic back-up), but it could have been easily avoided by making a turn at the light before. Anyway, I had a car full of 12 year olds and decided that they might learn a thing or two. We even discussed freedoms while waiting in line. Anyway, I get up to the cop and answered his questions and then told him I got in line on purpose because of my cargo. I asked why didn't everybody else just turn before the stop. He says "I dunno, we just do this to remind everybody around the Holidays, I guess some people just like them, like you". I am OK with that. A checkpoint that you can go around if you want. They should collect a stupid tax there too . . . :D

Drowned Rat

Captain

Asking where you're coming from and where are you heading are very common questions to ask. The officer doesn't really care where you were, they want to catch you in a fib and that's a great way to do it if you were up to no good. It's hard to come up with a good answer that makes sense to those questions when you're trying to hide the fact that you just robbed the Chevron station. Dangerous criminals are caught every day on "routine" traffic stops that start with questions like this. It's nothing personal, the cop really doesn't care where you were or where you're going, they're just doing their job.

magster65

Commander

We have the same road-blocks here. In the summer months there are a few a month just in our small community alone. On a long weekend or holiday you're almost guarenteed to come across one. They are a nuisance without a doubt but they work. I had twin cousins Richard and Robert (18 at the time). They and thier friend, who was driving, were taken by a drunk driver. They were rear-ended by this idiot on the highway, went out of control and rolled down an embankment. The drunk didn't have a scratch. I understand your gripe in a way but it means nothing when it comes to what's really important. Peoples lives. The cop's just doing his job and who cares if you like the way he was doing it... let it go. The bottom line is that every 'bad driver' they take off the road makes your ride a little safer. You should let this thread go too...<br />Read DD's last paragraph again.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Flahthead:<br /> Then he ask where it is I am coming from. I tell him it is none of his damn business where I am coming from. <br /><br />Mean while a turban head is buying a gun at the local pawn shop. :mad: :mad:
This pretty well says it all in my mind. Cop is doing nothing more than the job his supervisor told him to do, you give him attitude and become argumentative, and in your printed rant you close with a racial profile. And you're wondering why they didn't just smile at you and let you go on by with a "have a nice day?!"<br /><br />I'm not a big fan of the dui checkpoints myself from strictly an "American freedom" point of view, BUT then again there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they've saved more than just a few lives. For that benefit, I will respectfully deal with the minor inconvenience, and will in fact say THANK YOU to the cop for helping to keep innocent people safe and alive. <br /><br />I've learned that when I treat people with respect I get the same in return. I don't want to start an argument, and I will not post on this topic any longer regardless of any response you may give, but I feel that you were completely wrong in the way you handled yourself in that situation.

txswinner

Banned

Flathead, Finally having a liberal thought, I am soooooo proud of you. Imagine personal rights and yes you are on target. Guilty until proven innocent. What about Show-Cause. I am not willing to give up my rights and glad to see you agreeing. Of course this goes for the U.S. Citizens held in detention with out cause etc, etc.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by JB:<br /><br />I apologize for the "Get a life" remark. I did it to demonstrate to you what happens when someone throws a hostile remark in your face. Ticked you off, didn't it? Now think about the cop. How do you suppose he felt?
Methinks FH is running on a pretty lean mixture.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Last time I got pulled over on my Shovelhead for speeding after 8 beers, cops asked me if I been drinking.....told him just before I was spun around and handcuffed...."think I'd be speeding if I wasn't?"........bottle put down a long time ago by the way, and zero problems with cops since. :D