Random

dwco5051

Commander
Spring has finally arrived when the Great Lakes Whale migration gets underway!
🐳

whale.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
"Two local men were seriously injured when their pickup truck left the road and struck a tree near Cotton Patch on state Highway 38 early Monday morning. Woodruff County Deputy Dovey Snyder reported the accident shortly after midnight Monday.

Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray Wallis, 38, of Little Rock, are listed in serious condition at Baptist Medical Center.

The accident occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc after a frog-gigging trip. On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck's headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that the headlight fuse on the older model truck had burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the headlights again began to operate properly and the two men proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge.

After traveling approximately 20 miles and just before crossing the river, the bullet apparently overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, exiting the pavement and striking a tree. Poole suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the accident but will require surgery to repair the other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and was treated and released.

"Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston (shot his intimate parts off) or we might have been dead," stated Wallis. "I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of the world, but this is a first for me. I can't believe that those two would admit how the accident happened," said Snyder.

Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's wife, asked how many frogs the boys had caught, and did anyone get them from the truck."

... not a true story as far as I know ... but it sure could be :)

Retiredted

Cadet
I remember my mother making and feeding pancakes for and to the dogs. They could down a good sized pancake in 2 or 3 bites.

As far as the 22 cartridge shooting a person when exploding I don't believe that. When I was young I tried to fire 22 cartridges out from under 2 rocks. When I smashed the 2 rocks together the cartridge fired but the bullet never went anywhere It would always blow a hole in the side of the case. That was a good display of the forces of inertia. The bullet took more energy to move than the case to blow out. It needed a chamber and barrel for containment to move.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
having thrown 22 shells into a campfire and getting shrapnel in my arm, I beleive it could happen. made up story of course but it could happen.

Retiredted

Cadet
The shrapnel would be from the casing, not the bullet. I totally agree that such actions are dangerous. The brass casings do come apart and fly unpredictably. That puts another spin to shooting an eye out. I have heard a 30-30 explode in a stove. That was loud.

dwco5051

Commander
We were at the oldest daughters' house years ago and she was vacuuming the rug with a Hoover sweeper and set off a 22 cartridge. Something stung my wife on the calf of her leg. We never figured out if it was the casing or the bullet. Just a red mark and not enough shape to it for a definite clue. A good story as my wife told people that her daughter shot her in the leg but never told them the details.