Quit My Job . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
My former company let my 'second in command' go a month or so ago. He and another guy have been on the bubble since they outsourced the IT department after I left.

I got him (my former 2nd in command) lined up to be the IT Director at the place where I am consulting. This should be a win-win.

In other news, I have booked another CY338 upholstery job for the fall/winter, and perhaps will have a second CY338. I'll probably throw an Ad on CL in a month or so to fill up the schedule for the winter.

alldodge

Staff member
CY's are good but don't forget about the Formula folks who could use your talents

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In other news, I have booked another CY338 upholstery job for the fall/winter, and perhaps will have a second CY338. I'll probably throw an Ad on CL in a month or so to fill up the schedule for the winter.
You know where to get the logo embroidered.....

tpenfield

Staff member
CY's are good but don't forget about the Formula folks who could use your talents
Yes, I have not gotten any Formula inquiries. The brands so far have been . . . Chris Craft, Regal, Boston Whaler, SeaDoo, and Cruisers.

tpenfield

Staff member
The second 'potential' CY338 upholstery job is somewhere in Florida. Not sure it would pan out since the distance is a challenge.

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

The I.T. front has been more active than the Boat Upholstery front. I got my '2nd in command' at the previous place the IT Director job where I am currently consulting. I am going to be starting a new IT consulting gig at another company that should be keeping me busy for the next 6 months or so. Not sure how much time I will have for any additional boat upholstery jobs.

I did book a canvas job, which will be a new thing for me. Maybe expand my service offering to canvas in the future.

I think for the next couple of years, if the I.T. jobs keep coming my way, I may focus there, since the earnings is about 3X upholstery.

flashback

Captain
My BIL did the same thing in the same game. He just couldn't quit. He was a wizard at the computer and death is the only thing that stopped him.. don't push too hard it just ain't worth it..IMHO. :)

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, I hear ya . . . Nothing full time, but the latest IT gig may be a few days a week. At least I'll have some extra cash to restore the O'Day Mariner that has been sitting in my back yard for the past 6+ years.

tpenfield

Staff member
I think it will be vessel view that gets to Ted....
Yes, that VesselView and SmartCraft stuff. My current goal in life is to figure out how to get the GPS feed to the speedometer. One of my boating buddies with a Cruisers 328 has V-P 6.2's and they are no better. At one point the 'smart' system could not 'find' one of the engines and he had to figure out a way to 're-initialize' it. (not sure of the exact V-P speak)

It seems like Mercury and V-P wrote the book on 'complicated'. :ROFLMAO:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Just like modern cars eh?
It’s good to hear all the solutions that we can learn from
My fantasy boat is a simple carburetored V8 engine with a direct drive transmission in a keel drive Shamrock.

tphoyt

Ensign
Love the older Shamrocks.
A buddy of mine had one back in the 80’s that a 318 hemi in it. What a great set up.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
The only microchips would be in my plotter/fishfinder & VHF radios
I'd have a points distributor, and a 4bbl carb, closed cooling. Easy and cheap to maintain, nearly forever.

tpenfield

Staff member
I should be starting my next IT consulting gig in a week or so. It should last about 6 months which will take me into the middle of winter. The Admiral will be happy to have more money coming in. :cool:

Not much happening on the boat upholstery front. It seems like I'm getting beat out by folks charging a mere $20/hour for their work. :rolleyes: Maybe in a month or so when boats are coming out of the water things will pick up.

I am going to be doing some canvas work over the winter, as one of my customers lost their bow cover and also wants some alterations to their camper canvas. So, that will be good to add to the repertoire. :D