Quit My Job . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
Quick Update . . .

I've been filling my weeks with a combination of IT Consulting and Boat Seat Upholstery. I like having a mix of things to do, and neither is overly time-consuming so far.

The Admiral has been cleaning out various rooms, closets, and storage areas throughout the house, which tends to add to the 'honey-do' list.

Outside work on the house has been deferred to the spring months, as I have a few more windows to re-build and some painting left.

About 5 years ago, I had a financial advisor to a 'wealth assessment' for us to project how things would look financially going into retirement. At that point, I had planned to work full-time until I was age 70. Having stopped a few years short of that, I thought to revisit the assessment and update the figures accordingly. It took me a few days to find the files (spreadsheet) on my computer, and eventually stumbled upon them. So, I spent a few days updating all that happiness. 🤣

I still have great ambitions of finishing the re-build of my O'Day Mariner Sailboat. I'm still 'waiting' to have a second mooring in the local harbor to keep the boat, and maybe I'll get one someday (before I'm too old). Once I get the work on the house done, then (maybe) I'll resume working on the Mariner.

Just looking back at the past year, it sure has been one of unforeseen changes, but change can be good. 😎

tpenfield

Staff member
Well . . . in my IT consulting gig, I've been helping the company with their IT strategy and technology plan.

Now they want me to come on-board and manage the IT department. :oops: Probably be only about 20 hrs/week (hopefully) :unsure: . . . . There goes the free time :rolleyes:

The Admiral is happy about the extra income. :LOL:

aspeck

Staff member
Well . . . in my IT consulting gig, I've been helping the company with their IT strategy and technology plan.

Now they want me to come on-board and manage the IT department. :oops: Probably be only about 20 hrs/week (hopefully) :unsure: . . . . There goes the free time :rolleyes:

The Admiral is happy about the extra income. :LOL:
Well, that retirement didn't last long! :p

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
My old work tried to suck me back in....I refused the offer. I knew I had enough money to retire when I did. There would not be enough money offered to me for me to ever work again.

Besides money, I had another reason I knew I needed to retire. Both my brother and my father passed away in 2016. I knew right then I didn't want to keep working...life is too short.

My 5 year anniversary of retiring was yesterday...went by super fast.

tpenfield

Staff member
The company that I have been consulting for is a community social service agency. So, it is more about being helpful to them vs. the income.

They currently are trying to outsource their IT function and are seeing the 'reality' vs. the 'dream'. I'd feel badly if I just walked away from the situation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would rather have a single part-time on-site IT manager than the outsourced mess we have at work.

However, Ted, you now have boat money coming in and you can finish the sailboat

tpenfield

Staff member
Yes, I think this whole idea of IT outsourcing is loosing its shine.

tpenfield

Staff member
Just marking a milestone . . . It has been a year since I gave notice at my full-time job, finishing up July 1, 2022. Last summer was awesome and basically a few months to decompress after 45 years of the working world.

Quite a few folks have left my prior organization since then, as things have changed - I have been called 'the canary in the coal mine' by some. :ROFLMAO:

Of course, I dipped my toe back in the water (of IT) after the summer, but only part-time. Meanwhile, the Admiral is counting the months (years really) until she retires.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just marking a milestone . . . It has been a year since I gave notice at my full-time job, finishing up July 1, 2022. Last summer was awesome and basically a few months to decompress after 45 years of the working world.

Quite a few folks have left my prior organization since then, as things have changed - I have been called 'the canary in the coal mine' by some. :ROFLMAO:

Of course, I dipped my toe back in the water (of IT) after the summer, but only part-time. Meanwhile, the Admiral is counting the months (years really) until she retires.
Congratulations! I retired the last of Feb. I was saying to my wife the other day that I don't know how I managed to do all that needs doing and still work before I retired. Its real nice not worrying about the clock though!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Congrats Ted!
I worked for a school district for 30 years, retired 6 years ago. Right after I retired they hired me to work part time in their alternative high school program. Did that till Covid. Then about 6 months ago got offered a position in a private school part time so I’m doing that. The beauty of retirement for me is I can choose interesting jobs that don’t take up too much fun time! The best of both worlds.

tphoyt

Ensign
I did the same thing just yesterday. The only problem is I gave them a 10 month notice so who knows how this will really end. I have been at this job for 32 years and it’s time for a change.
Wood working is my true passion and with a little luck will be my new gig.