Questions on using Gluvit to seal a tinny????????

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm at the point where I'm going to be sealing up my project Grumman.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362705

Here's a pic of a typical spot in my hull...

112709015.jpg

How do you seal the rivets that go thu something on the inside of the hull like these ribs? I can clean around the single rivets and seal them, but I don't see what sealing around the rib would do because it could always leak to the inside.

What's the recommended method to clean prior to application inside ?

What's the recommended method to clean outside if that's the place to seal the rivets above?

my seams were under carpet, and there's some adhesive left after powerwashing. Do I have to remove all that or is good enough good enough?

thx

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Questions on using Gluvit to seal a tinny????????

Forget sealing the ribs ;)

Clean off everything with a good degreaser.

As you clean look for any signs of loose rivets.... have someone back then and smack it with a hammer to re-buck the rivet.

Now with the seams on the sides many people do one side of the boat then the other a day later ..... the gluvit will creep.... and it keeps creeping for hours. Depending on the weather it may take the gluvit 2 days to really get fully set up.

I really like what you have been doing and your getting there. I wish the weather here was nice so I could work on mine. It snowed last night :(

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I just slathered it on all the rivets and hope for the best. Mine was a pretty dry hull to start with so I figure my efforts can only improve an already good situation.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class

[As you clean look for any signs of loose rivets.... have someone back then and smack it with a hammer to re-buck the rivet.]:eek:

Now with the seams on the sides many people do one side of the boat then the other a day later ..... the gluvit will creep.... and it keeps creeping for hours. Depending on the weather it may take the gluvit 2 days to really get fully set up.

I really like what you have been doing and your getting there. I wish the weather here was nice so I could work on mine. It snowed last night :(

This riveting method cracks me up being an Aircraft Mechanic of 20 years! You would be better off learning the proper way to buck a rivet... and using at least rivet set the correct diameter size and smacking it with a hammer to keep the rivet head in tact. Have someone back the "shop head"... round flat part with "bucking bar"... heavy piece of steel.

5 speed

sprintst

Commander

I also wire brushed the seams and rivet heads to get any crud out to let the Gluvit creep in.

I filled the hull with water to check for anything that I missed...not a drop was found. I used 2 cans on an 18 footer...not sure if I overdid. Make sure to keep your pathways clean so that water can make it through the stringers to the bilge pump.

On the outside of the hull I used an epoxy primer for some extra insurance. I can't see how water can get in now but it will always find a way.

mikezohsix

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As you clean look for any signs of loose rivets.... have someone back then and smack it with a hammer to re-buck the rivet.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Bob.

I haven't updated my post yet but I will when I get time to update the photos etc.

Engine is back in today with the new transom, and the boat's out of the garage for a while and the cars are back in. We had a windy but ok temp day yesterday and after finding more carpenter ants towards the bow pulled all the floors and foam out and power washed it to death. The suckers made a honey comb of the foam in the bow! The boat is scrubbed bow to stern, but still a lot of staining on the aluminum.

Do you, or has anyone, applied Gluvit to the outside of the hull?
Seems like it would work there too as long as the water flow didn't pull it off....

mike

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Absolutely gluvit can be used under the hull or even the outside...... only single drawback is that gluvit lacks uv protection so you have to paint it if is directly exposed to sunlight for long periods. (never happens in VT ...we hardly ever see the sun :D)

Many boaters have used it as a barrier coat on the exterior hull bottom. Water will never pull it off the hull bottom.

Remember it "creeps" so if you want to do it on the bottom you want to either flip the hull or tip it way up on one side.

The heck with the stained aluminum ..... your decking will hide that just fine ;)