Puzzle Solvers---Look Here Now!!!!

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Puzzle Solvers---Look Here Now!!!!

Boil one end of the wood in water, compress the one end in a large vice. With wood compressed drill your hole and insert the nail. Put it back into hot water and that end will expand back to it's original shape. I think it has to be a certain type of wood. (I have it on tape from a PBS program) It is real, no illusions. edit: I just noticed that it was how to get nail back out, not how it was put in. Just boil the end near nail head and compress it in vice till nail will clear.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

How loose is the nail in the wood? Does it slide back & forth, or is it tight? Are each of the 'blocks' & 'gaps' the same size, or is there variance?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I've been eyeballing this since you posted it. I have been pulling my hair out. since i am now out of hair, i quit.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

The nail will slide back and forth. The openings and the blocks are the same size. Hmmm. I like the idea of boiling it.<br />The lady it belongs to claims the seller put it behind his back and took the nail out. <br />That would eliminate the boiling as the solution. <br /><br />I am gonna have to go buy one of my own. That way if it breaks, I won't feel bad.<br /><br />AK Chappy

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Measure it and give the dimensions Chappy. One of us probably got to much time on our hands and will make one. Is that a 10penny nail?

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

This is just too FUNNY.. The answer is right there in the instructions.. "YOU HAVE TO LOOK OUTSIDE THE BOX" Come on guys use your BRAINS..<br />Burn it- becuase it doesn't say you can't do that in the instructions,RIGHT...<br />Hacksaw the nail in 2 places - it doesn'say you can't cut it, RIGHT...<br />Or She is just paying you back for doing something really stupid, its called not using your brain or not properly reading the full instructions on the label...<br />Think back to last time you did something stupid and you'll find your answer..<br />Besides we made these in woodshop..<br /><br />Ha,ha on all of you guys..

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Instructions???<br /><br />What are these..instructions??<br /><br />There are no "instructions" to read. Only the verbal passing on of "you have to think outside the box." <br /><br />Again, if it were mine I wouldn't mind burning it or cutting the nail. <br /><br />Now I am gonna have to go buy one!!<br /><br />AK Chappy

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

If you buy one of your own let us know where to purchase them. I'd like to get on and work on it.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Barbara Dee Posted:<br /><br />
Besides we made these in woodshop..<br />
OK.....how did ya' get the nail in there?

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

OK.. Try this for me, AK.... Grab the wood piece on each end and pull them away from the center.<br />The nail being one piece, means the wood is two (maybe).<br /><br />The wood must split someplace/somehow. And you didn't "break" it, if it was originally made to seperate.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

No Go 12'er.<br />This thing has got me frustrated. You are supposed to be able to take it apart without destroying it.<br />Oh Well, schtufffff happens.<br /><br />AK Chappy

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

Oh my God.. Give it to your wife.. So she can laugh at you.. Anyway the one I saw in wood shop was carefull glued. If I remember right, the two middle pieces in the middle were glued. The two sections in the middle were take out. Spaced apart. Holes were drilled at onetime and nail inserted, glued back. Then resanded smoothe, so you can't see any seams..<br />It is one of those things made to drive smart people nuts.. The seams are within the grane of the wood.. At least that is how they were made at woodshop. It is a JOKE ... That is why they said, think outside the box. That is the JOKE, you buy it and your suppose to pass it on to the next person with the words "think outside the box"..<br />Now do you get it..

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

Anyway just to let you know, you have been "NAILED" by you wife,,,

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Oh... I kinda get it now... still want to figure out how to get the nail out tho...lol

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

I prefer to think "outside the paper bag".<br /><br /> WB

mattttt25

Commander

the puzzle is a classic, called tooth and nail. considered an impossible or paradoxal puzzle. to the puzzle geeks that make these, it's more of a puzzle for them. some suggest that the wood is steamed and bent, nail inserted, and wood clamped back in it's original shape. others swear that's not the case, but refuse to explain it. sort of like magicians that get pissed about their tricks being explained. i truly doubt someone put it behind their back and separated the two. it's meant to simply boggle the mind.<br /><br />edit: also, imagine the wood was an 8 or 12 ft plank. now it's not too difficult to think about bending it. others suggest that the end with the nail head is compressed in a vice. hole drilled and nail inserted. the block is then steamed and the wood returns to normal size.

FSHKPR

Ensign

i saw one like this and it was screwed together in the middle and hidden by one of the blocks of wood, the thing that got me was that the thread was reversed and i never even tried to screw it apart backwards not saying that is your solution but it was for the won given to me.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Break puzzle over wifes favorite item. Drink a case of beer, in celebration of solving the puzzle.<br /><br /> :D <br /><br />Ken

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by wildbill59:<br /> I prefer to think "outside the paper bag".<br /><br /> WB
I like to think outside the bun :D <br /><br />I did tonight!

grotmeister

Seaman Apprentice

can someone give me the email address of the person who made this thing so I can send an abusive message?