Puzzle Solvers---Look Here Now!!!!

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Puzzle Solvers---Look Here Now!!!!

Originally posted by Barbara Dee:<br /> Oh my God.. Give it to your wife.. So she can laugh at you.. Anyway the one I saw in wood shop was carefull glued. If I remember right, the two middle pieces in the middle were glued. The two sections in the middle were take out. Spaced apart. Holes were drilled at onetime and nail inserted, glued back. Then resanded smoothe, so you can't see any seams..<br />It is one of those things made to drive smart people nuts.. The seams are within the grane of the wood.. At least that is how they were made at woodshop. It is a JOKE ... That is why they said, think outside the box. That is the JOKE, you buy it and your suppose to pass it on to the next person with the words "think outside the box"..<br />Now do you get it..
You have it correct there BD, I've made many such puzzles and that is the way it's done. ;)

Homerr

Commander

Neo,<br /><br />The MATRIX has you....<br /><br /><br /> :D <br /><br /><br />H.

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ok - I've been on Google for about the past hour trying to figure this one out and I found the answer.<br /><br />I'm going to post a link to the forum I found the answer on so I don't ruin it for anyone who wants to figure it out on their own.<br /><br /> http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wood+nail+puzzle&start=20&hl=en&lr=&safe=off& <br /><br />...kind of disappointing. :)

Dunaruna

Admiral

That doesn't explain how the shop owner put it behind his back and removed the nail :confused:

jsfinn

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yep. You're right.<br /><br />Great...now how am I going to sleep tonight?

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'm sure that this is not the answer but it could work. There is a metal alloy of nickel-titanium known as nitinol or memory metal. One common use of this metal is eyeglass frames, the kind that can be bent into a knot and then when heated they return to there original shape. Is the nail in the puzzle made from nitinol?

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

I got to tell you, nitinol I am guessing is expensive and the puzzle is $4.95... So you Better stop thinking outside the box and start thinking outside the house and away from water..<br />Here something to think about.............<br />Take this down load to the nearest high school that has a workshop.. Show the teacher the problem and besure to wear a disguise cause you'll need it after he reads all the post.. I am sure he'll be LOL at you...<br />Good Luck

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

So have any of you smart people figured out the puzzle???

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have you tried to unscrew the end block (twisting on a horizontal plane, and just the portion of the end block that is above the level of the notch)? Seems like if it were construsted with a tight fit it would be easy to hide a seam along the wood grain at that spot...