PROJECT SEA RAY

aNskY

Cadet
Looks great! Same color scheme as my 160 o/b! (but mine is still in demo!)

sucks about the drive, but thank goodness for your buddy!@

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Interior is in and wired. Really think the charcoal carpet makes the interior pop against the white floor. Just got to bolt down some seats and get the anti-slip on and its time to rock and roll.

I had to redo one of the bow cushions and apparently my upholstering skills need a little help :S

"New" outdrive is painted and on and looks better than the first one so I guess that's a plus. Planning on a full systems test on Friday and hopefully a launch by the weekend!

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
For those still following along I got it in the water Saturday morning for the first test! After a years worth of work I was pretty excited to see what I had accomplished. Good news is that it floats and moves under its own power.

Few hiccups to fix:

Had some stalling issues on the way out and on the way in. Idles great in neutral, but in gear with no throttle it moves along just fine for a couple of minutes and then develops a stumble. Idles perfect on the trailer under load seems to be the issue. Going to change the points and condenser( which I meant to do and forgot all about), double check the timing.

Also thought the engine was getting a little too hot. Gauge was reading 180-190+ under throttle conditions but at idle would come right back down to about 145 . I'm going to get a laser temp reading to try and confirm gauge reading and check to see if the sender is the right one for the gauge. Raw water pump is pumping and has a new impeller. Im going to double check the thermostat (new, but who knows) and probable change the circulation or engine pump.

Overall id say it was a pretty successful trip. Got it up to 42mph(GPS) @ about 3500rpm and felt like it had plenty more left but didn't want to push it with the temperature being an unknown quantity.

Had a fun time docking it for the first time with it stalling on me coming into the dock so hopefully I can get that rectified. Unfortunately its impossible to test on the trailer. So there will be some more water trials this week.

Shakedownscott

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Congrats on getting it splashed.

Just read your build from the beginning. You got a ton of work done in a year. Great job, she's a beauty.

Mr.Stickney

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have been doing some trouble shooting on some problems we had on the maiden voyage and thought I would post to in hopes that it enlightens someone along the way.

I fired it up in the driveway last night and noticed that unlike the maiden voyage, the water pump was not pumping water. After some inspection of the impeller and new gaskets etc I found a piece of rag that had lodged itself in the intake of the raw water pump. Luckily it was just plugging the inlet and never actually got into the pump.

I removed it, and Voila, pumping water like a champ again. I used Clear reinforced PVC hose on the intake line going to the water pump and boy am I glad I did, makes it very easy to diagnose water flow issues.

On to the stalling:

Took the top of the Carb off and checked the float height (for the third time...) floats height was good, but noticed the drop looked quite excessive from what I remember seeing in the manual.

Spec'd it out and retuned the carburetor and its running better than it was for sure. Unfortunately by the time this was all put to bed it was too late to get it on the water. And now the weather is not being my friend so hopefully get some updates on the weekend.

As far as construction goes its time to start building an engine cover. I'm thinking of doing a two piece cover (clamshell?), as im sure some of you with smaller boats know the struggle of trying to find a place to put the engine cover with people and gear on the boat WHEN something goes awry. Im also toying with the idea of a
"viewing hatch" where I could leave the top piece of the cover on and have a hatch that could be opened when you just want to have a look around.

Pics of the engine cover build to follow!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I like the viewing hatch idea, especially if it's located so you can see the bilge water level and pull the engine oil dip-stick. Hopefully you got the carb dialed in.