Project Fuggly - No Longer Fuggly And Splashed!!!!!!

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ha! I think I have the same washer! The thing can't seem to make up its mind! Hope you have a very Merry Christmas!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Nurseman, I think I have developed an understanding with the washer.....she seems to be working fine, lol

I finally got back to the boat today. I got a late start, I returned all the "left over" parts from the washer / dryer to H.D. and Lowes. So far I opened up the hole a made in the front next to the toe kick

The foam seems to come out pretty easily.

After that I decided to carefully saw the deck parallel to the the sponsons, right in the middle.

Its kind of funny, you can see where the plywood is solid (sawdust) and where it is rotten (mushy brown pulp) I poped up the middle two sections of the front sheet of plywood. They came up pretty easy. I think where it ties in at the edge is going to be the hard part. I'm going to carefully cut the glass on top of the plywood right op next to the side. hopefully it will pop up when I lift on it.

The cleats they tabbed to the deck for mounting the seats are still solid. Time for lunch, thought I would do that before I start sawing glass with the die grinder, yeah!

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I found a 1969 in line 6 that supposedly was rebuilt 20 year's ago on craigs list. Apparently it has been on the stand with all the accessories bolted on it. It's supposed to be the 165 horse. Sounds like I could bolt it right up to the drive any thoughts? They are asking 500$ OBO. I asked the poster for some pics I hate to drive 100 miles to find a piece of junk.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I cut all the way around the perimeter, and pulled up the deck along the edge. there is going to be a lot of clean up around the edges....sort of to be expected, but there is an odd detail there that I didn't expect. Anyhow I vaced up all the glass, now its time to pull up the deck and foam!

jbcurt00

Staff member
What's the odd detail along the edges of the deck?

Will the inline 6 fit inside the front of the current doghouse, or will it require a deeper doghouse? I'd expect it to be enough longer to require a deeper doghouse, that would eat up extra deck space, which may not be ideal. It would allow more real estate for a sun pad across the back instead of 2 jump seat on either side a typical doghouse.....

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'll post some pics in a bit.....for some reason I am itching and want to take a shower, but anyhow the odd detail is the deck sits on a 1x2, turned up edge wise. It seems to be a floating piece, not secured to anything but the plywood for the deck.

As for the inline 6, you are correct on it needing more room. I'm not to worried about the length if it is as promised. I talked with the guy earlier, apprently he is an aircraft mechanic.....and rebuilt it for his father in law.... but in mid stream there was a divorce. So 20 years later he still has the motor. One thing about this hull, with the cockpit pushed so far forward there is a lot of room. So I think the inline would just make room for more girls to sun on the back :D Not an issue, lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Here is a shot of the center pod, about half way back. Looks like they put some plywood or a 1x as a support on the bottom. it doesn't look like they were glassed over, go figure

This is the 1x2 that the deck was stapled to, then tabbed in at the etdges

The more I work on this boat, the happier I am that I bought it.....I think this thing is going to be fun!

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You are making good progress Arch!! I dont care what that old Okie has to say about football either......BOOMER SOONER brother!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Yeah, some sacrifices are worth it....
smile.gif

I'd hate to disappoint the ladies with a small sun bathing area.....and I'm pretty sure they don't care if its an inline or V 6 that got them there, lol!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
yes, lots of water, its even running out of the trash bags I have the foam in, nasty! The guy with the motor sent some pics, looks complete, even has the flame arester on the carb. He is bringing it by on Tuesday, so hopefully that pans out. It would be nice to overhaul the deck, then bolt in the new motor and all of the old drive and steering components. That would save a lot of head ache!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'm NOT riled up. I'm totally content and WILL be for an entire YEAR. Maybe more!!!!

Arch, I hope that Motor works out for you and you can get started on the "Go Back" That Wet Foam is Yukky Stuff!!!:eek:

Last edited:

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
lol. I made some foam soup just for you Wood!

I got the rest of the foam out and the goop scraped off the hull (for the most part)

I also figured out that the lower part of the transom wasn't glassed before the deck was put in. Just tabbed in, so the wood was exposed to the moisture from below deck, Guess I will take the transom out while I'm at it.

Has anyone used the self leveling seacast? It sounds like a good thing to replace the wood laying flat on the bottom of the center pod and bottom of the sponsons.