Pro or amatuer hull repair?

dpar

Cadet
Real newbie here, first boat. Missed out on one I was coming back to compression test and this 1995 FourWinns 5.0 Volvo Penta w SX outdrive and 196 total hrs came up. Everything works. Lake tested, all good, so pulled it out to really go over and seller said his son just called and had another buyer.He had agreed to sell to me today. I bought it without a survey, probably dumb move. Any I came across this (see picture) and Im not sure whats going on, anyone know care to hazard a guess?

Attachments

• photo340942.jpg
    photo340942.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 37

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not sure if that is 1/2" across or 3" across

now that you took a picture of the cambium of the tree bark, take 10 step backwards and take a picture to see WTF we are looking at.

hard to see the tree in the forest with your nose pressed against the bark.

GSPLures

Chief Petty Officer
That sounds like a quick sale tactic to me. If the guy you bought from was honorable and had nothing to hide he would have given you time for a survey.

With that said is that on the hull, deck, seat? Its impossible to tell with that picture what it is.

I would make sure to check out the structure of the boat. Again with the guy trying to force your hand on a quick buy would concern me.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats . . .

What are we looking at :noidea: Where is it on the hull?

chevymaher

Commander
Ah the old choke move. Should have said okay thanks for your time and just hung up.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Almost looks like a thru-hull that was removed, or a guage or something. A little more info required for this one.

Baylinerchuck

Commander

now that you took a picture of the cambium of the tree bark, take 10 step backwards and take a picture to see WTF we are looking at.

Scott has my vote for comment of the day!! :ROFLMAO:

tpenfield

Staff member
dpar hasn't been back since he/she originally posted . . . :unsure:

dpar

Cadet

Been gone, sorry for late response. The "patch" is 4ft from stern 18" off the the starbord side. 2" circle. Since zero sorrounding area is damaged, it was done intentionally.

dpar

Cadet
You're funny. It is 2" diameter 4ft from stern off center to starboard.

dpar

Cadet
That sounds like a quick sale tactic to me. If the guy you bought from was honorable and had nothing to hide he would have given you time for a survey.

With that said is that on the hull, deck, seat? Its impossible to tell with that picture what it is.

I would make sure to check out the structure of the boat. Again with the guy trying to force your hand on a quick buy would concern me.

dpar

Cadet
I really dont think he tried to force my hand. I'm ging to pay to have outdrive serviced and ask the shop anout it. Thanks everyone who posted, i realize my post was insufficient. Didnt mean to be rude, I just got busy and had to leave to help family.

dpar

Cadet
I apologize, got busy among other problems. Its 2020. Please see my other responses.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
So now that you are back. Take a picture of the area standing 15 feet back from it. Again, hard to see the tree in the forest when your nose is pressed against the bark