president bush

Drybo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: president bush

Not democrat or republican nor lib, just think too much corruption on both sides. I know the U.N. seems it is just as corrupt but the world must be involved with the war on terror and with Iraq. It seems to me the U.N. worked ok in gulf war 1, as long as Isrialis were not involved.....more complication.<br /><br />I beleive for what its worth that the republicans and democrats drink from the same trough. We need honest leaders. I hope John McCain will run again.<br /><br />Clinton took favors from China, that is unforgivable alone. Bush said he doesn't think about Bin laden that much anymore, that is unforgivable. Clinton/ Gore favored NAFTA. I do not see the great results Nafta promised, only jobs headed south and aliens still heading north. So much is wrong. Do politicians lose common sense? I try to listen to both sides and they both have good points. My answer, get the world invovled (UN?) as strong as the USA is we must cooperate within reason with our allies,<br />Uk, France, Germany, and so on.<br /><br />Our leaders are out of touch with reality. The dems probably would have responded too weak to 911,<br />the replublicans too strong (attack wrong country).My only answer would be to get honest peaple into office, cut the big money contributors, stop congress from voting themself a pay raise while voting against a minimum wage increase. these problems and more that I do not understand effect every American, sooner or later.<br /><br />I am very happy too see a respsonsable debate here<br />where we can agree too disagree without too much personal attacks. Just level headed attempts to make things better. By the way, I am veteran of 82nd Airborne,and from one soldiers view, the troops mostly would not want to just pull out of Iraq ,but the feeling is as of now if the strategy is not changed things will not improve enough to pull out. We are allowing insurgents to pour across from iran, syria and other countrys plus the Iraqi people are growing more and more tired of American occupation. Answer? Hopefully we can train the Iraq security forces and the majority of Iraqis will support them. It seems though that anything with American fingerprints will not be supported long run. Question, rumors that the insurgents are gearing up for a "Tet" like offensive. true? seems our news organizations<br />can't get (or spend or find brave enough newspeaple) to report on these matters. <br />One last thought, during the 10 year Iraq/ Iran war when these countrys were asked about U.S. involvment, they said they would stop fighting each other and join to fight against america. I do not think they will ever support anything American in general.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

You'll have to look deeper than Rumsfelds current or recent portfolio...the "good 'ol boy" network is a powerful thing. Now, you don't want to go claiming any kind of quid pro quo, not even a "good 'ol boy" would send his country to war just so's his rich pals could get richer...but who knows what kinds of things cloud a man's judgement. Letting a no-bid contract to my former corporation might be just because I know they can accomplish the deed according to my schedule...or am I doing a favor for my homies? You have to look at the weight of all available evidence, circumstantial as it is, & if there's any appearance of cronyism you have to point it out. Somebody's got to do it...after all, power corrupts...

ebbtide176

Commander

the only thing i would add is about the point of bin laden.<br /><br />if we find/capture bin laden its great. but pls don't forget the bigger picture is the war against terrorism. to get too hung up on osama is to have tunnel vision. it is important, but he can/will have replacements.<br /><br />i don't think GWB is perfect, he is just a man. but i sure won't be out on the streets marching with an anti-war campaign like what i saw hurt our country back in the 60-70's.<br /><br />just my 2c

txswinner

Banned

Ebb, I accept your feelings, just mine are I hate seeing our troops in Iraq as invaders rather than tracking the terrorist and the man who was leader of attack on NYC.

D

DJ

jtexas,<br /><br />It is REALY SAD that you are so jaded.<br /><br />Did it EVER occur to you that someone (Rumsfeld) might being doing the job because he LOVES this country? I guess not, you hate this country (you walked into proving it otherwise), along with others, so that thought process is foreign.<br /><br />Rumsfeld doesn't need that job (he's got PLENTY), or any other. He accepted because he saw a need for his service.<br /><br />I can read your next line now. "He's got plenty". Stolen from us-RIGHT?<br /><br />Be WARNED! The politics of ENVY are very dangerous.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

He's got plenty. Stolen from us-RIGHT?<br /><br />Whoa, you were right! How'd you do that?<br /><br />BTW, are you sure about thought process being foreign? I would have sworn there was still some domestic thinking going on around here somewhere...

txswinner

Banned

jtexas, why argue, this the conservative that gets busted by a cop because he does not think he should be asked where he has been after being stopped on his motorbike.<br /><br />It is easy to be pro-war when you are not effected. It is easy to be blind to loss of personal rights Until you are effected. Notice the resemblance here.

D

DJ

Jtexas wrote,<br /><br />
Whoa, you were right! How'd you do that?<br />
As I said, "the politics of envy are dangerous". Another trap you so enjoy walking into. The vehement "politics of envy" is almost enjoyable to watch, except I know that eats your soul. <br /><br />I have a conscience, watching you do that to yourself, is painfull.

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

People seem to like to use this forum to express their political/religeous views etc. Most everyone who writes is, I'm sure, much younger than I am. So listen quick and I will share the wisdom and insights that I have acquired over the many years of my life.<br /><br />I can understand that Americans want to support their President and the actions of our country's leaders AND, most of all, the young men and women who are fighting the country's battles. But this shouldn't blind us to the mistakes that have been and are being made.<br /><br />I am 76 years old and clearly remember most actions that have taken place during and since WWII. My Naval Air Reserve unit was activated and sent to Korea (minus me) in 1950. An estimated five million lives were lost in that conflict, including approximately 40,000 Americans and their allies. We did not win that war but fought it to a draw.<br /><br />Some people thought that we could have won that one if we had taken the war into China. This ignores the resources, mainly human, allied against us and the logistics of fighting a war "on the other side of the world".]<br /><br />When our Government reported (actually fabricated) the Gulf of Tonkin incident, it hoodwinked Congress into issuing the Resolution that took us to war in Viet Nam. I thought "Did we learn nothing from Korea?" An estimated five million people died in that war, too, including approximately 58,000 Americans. Some 800,000 children were orphaned (source of statistics: Encarta).<br /><br />To my mind, the terrible descision to bomb and invade Iraq ranks right up there with the ones that led to war in Korea and Viet Nam. Although motivated by expressed concern for the interests of the United States, all lacked intelligent and pragmatic assessment of what could reasonably be accomplished in light of the price to be paid. Will we never learn?

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know that this is petty and boderline juvenile but I think the term "motorbike" was last used sometime around the WWI era. I'm guessing that if you rode into Sturgis on a "motorbike" you'd probably get your a$$ kicked before you got to park your ride. Just a thought. :D ;)

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Envy? oh, so that's what it is, thanks for clearing that up. now on, whenever I want to know what I'm thinking or how I feel about anything, I just have to ask DJ. Man, this forum just keeps getting more useful all the time!<br /><br />Okay everybody, vocabulary lesson (courtesy of DJ): what do you call it when someone doesn't blindly accept anything & everything a political leader says & does?<br />Answer: "politics of envy"<br /><br />I'm not even going to mention the "N-word" (naivete)