PowerLoading

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer
Re: PowerLoading

Heres a radical idea...lets make the ramps another 20 ft longer so they don't have drop offs or have issues with prop wash!

OMG, it makes too much sense to be allowed...someone stop that man he is thinking independantly!

BTW around here, ice causes 10 times more damage to the ramps than power loading ever does. Heres a thought, have a wade out to the end of the ramp and see where that "hole" really is...if it isn't in the center of the ramp where prop wash occurs then what you have is natural erosion.;) How can a hole at the end of the ramp in the middle cause tires to fall into them when the tires are on the side, I'm willing to bet most of those who hate guys who power load have never actually waded out there to see what is happening at the ramp. Natural erosion occurs from wave and current action...just because its a lake without a current doesn't mean you don't have waves.

P.S. I used to drive the front end loader that filled in all those "holes" at the end of the ramp, we used riprap since it was the only thing that lasted...the winter! Summer usage didn't touch the riprap, it was the ice and waves that did all the damage. I always wondered how much extra that length of concrete would have cost compared to the loader fees and gravel costs every year until I had it explained to me...see the ramp cost money up front to buy and was born by the municipality but the maintenance of it was the Federal gov responsibility soooooo.

We could start a campaign to make the ramps longer and create a specification to eliminate this problem forever by making anyone who puts in a boat ramp make them long enough so prop wash isn't an issue...but guess what will happen, those longer ramps will crack in half because erosion still occurs no matter what you do and it isn't prop wash causing it...its mother nature and she is far more powerful than any propeller on a boat. Next time your down at the shore line watching the 4-6ft waves crashing on the rocks during a storm, go have a look at that ramp your whining about and see whats happening.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

In the south, been to many lakes you have to power on and off, There docks are away from ramp, ramps are wide for 3-4 boats at a time. You Have to go pick up person pulling truck out , or tie up, walk around to truck, there is no other way

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frankly, for me it depends entirely on the conditions and which boat / trailer I have.

The Parker w/ roller trailer doesn't stick since last years rebuild. Idle on w/ trim up and just a tad more while I hook it up and (elec.) winch. (PIA!)

The Starcraft tinny is bunk. Idle on, add some juice (moderately) and crank.

That's at most ramps. But not all.
Our State officials love to put ramps into the side of breachways (jettys) and anything but full drive on (single handed loading) is out of the question with the strong tides. I've actually seen guys launch with aluminum trailers a few times at these ramps and watched the boat & trailer float off to the side. STRONG currents in these things at the moon tides, storms, etc.

We've also got the skinny water muck ramps. Maybe 6-12" of water for 50 yds. out. Can't drive deep enough in the muck, you'd loose everything. Definately no motor use for loading unless your engine loves muck in the water pump / cooling system.

So, it all depends for me. Right application for the conditions / trailer used.

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I love the guy in the bass boat that powers his boat onto the trailer. He leaves his 250hp motor at about 1/2 throttle, LEAVES THE HELM UNATTENDED, and goes to attatch the bow hook to the winch line himself!

This whole time a very strong current of water is attacking other boats in slips along the ramp.

OR...

The guy with the new I/O 22ft bowrider who is loading his boat at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle as I am coming into the marina to dock the jetski at the courtesy slip. The prop wash grabs the front of my ski ( I am over 30ft away) and starts to pull the entire ski under the water!

That being said I have to use power to load my boat with my new trailer design. This consists of idle onto the trailer to make bunk contact and giving it a little gas to get the bow up to the hook, and that's it. If I float my boat on then the trailer has to be so deep the angle of the bow to the bow roller is way off and when I remove the boat/trailer the bow is about 6" behind the bow roller. This of course is going to be fixed as I miss just floating on.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

We are a rural township with a public, free ramp. Water levels are very low and the hole at the end of the pad is an issue this year. A powerloading acquaintance of mine was whining the other day about how hard it is to launch with the huge dropoff/hole at the end of the ramp and the matching mini shoal just beyond. He thinks the tax fairy should make this right for him.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer

Ive won quite a few bass tournaments fishing those holes at the ends of the ramp in winter :D

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been power loading my whole life and never ran into a single one of those problems. I must just be lucky.

No problem - IF it's done properly. Note the BIG IF. Heavy on the throtle & you smash the winch stand, also stain the truck transmision/parking brake with the sudden jolt. What if your not perfectly centered on the trailer? Run the engine without water circulating? Little extra strain on the transom. "Big stetch" getting out of boat to reach the dock? Boat sits on trailer unsecured for 30 seconds or so while you make the stretch? (ever roll back? before you realize you should have secured the trailer chain before you got out of boat)

Too much can go wrong IMO - all to save 3 minutes?

On the plus side, it puts on a good show for the spectators. They need a good laugh once in a while. :)

Tom B.
(LongLine)

nowback

Petty Officer 3rd Class

last time i put my boat in the lake had no choice on how to load.
the lake was so low that you couldnt run the motor the last 20 yard to
the ramp.
that said i had no problem floating the boat on to the trailer because it was plenty deep at the end of the ramp where the trailer fell off the end.
would have been a real problem getting on or off the trailer if it were not
for the hole:) LOL
at the time i had no idea that the hole was from the power loaders.
this drop off was causing real problems for the trailers with little wheels.
matt

spankers

Recruit

Suppliers trailers, trailer spare parts including suspension, jockey wheels, Led trailer lights, couplings, boat rollers, hinges and accessories for erde, ...

jtmarten

Master Chief Petty Officer

I can get my boat on my trailer by just floating it on, why can't other people?

+1000000000000000000000000000

My 16yr old son and I can load a 5800lb 26 footer on the trailer, no power, in 2 minutes. Yes, I have to back the trailer actually into the water. Yes, the cold water tickles my jewels when I go back to jump on the trailer. Yes, the leather seat in my Suburban gets wet. As Bruce Willis said: The sky is blue, waters wet, who gives a f&^$.
If the powerloaders don't want to get wet - sell the WATER toy, pay somebody to launch/retrieve, or get a slip.

Most people around here I'd say just drive the boat on using minimal power while the trailer is at float-on depth. I used to do that with my 23' Daycruiser jetboat. Had a Boat Buddy on the trailer (awesome). They'd back the trailer in, I'd idle on until the bow eye locked in, they'd pull me out. Then hook up the winch strap at the top of the ramp.

We don't have issues with it here, since the cement ramp extends about 40' into the lake since the level is so high.

milmat1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know guy's maybe it is needed with bigger boats ?? But I see no need to power on or off the trailer. I back into the water and let the boat Float off the trailer, When loading I back in until my fenders are even with waterline then as I approach the trailer I kill the engine and she coast up to where I can hook the winch up and crank her on..And some of the ramps here are pretty rough ! Of course I do this with a Jeep cherokee so maybe the 4wd is helping me???
Now Granted I have only a 16.5 Bowrider so I can easily jump off/on to do this. Some boats may present a challenge to Getting on and off the boat without Swimming !
As for the debate, I have read this thread and the attached links etc. And I would say that Powerloading is a very small factor in ramp erosion, Though still a Factor, I think ya'll do it simply because IT'S FUN !!!....:eek:
.JMHO

swihartart

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My Tee-Nee trailer seems to like being backed up until fenders are level with waterline.

I wonder if this is by design...

Roller and bunks trailer, boat usually floats off at this point.
Fairly easy to load also with or without idle (trim up) or guiding it on manually.

coolguy147

Commander

i don't have a trailer:( you guys are lucky to be argueing:D

boat lift:p

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

"fenders are level with the waterline"...please explain for the newbs who might read this thread. I back mine in until the water is over my trailer wheels...and just under the top bend/curve of the trailer. That works for my trailer...what about yours?

df909

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's wrong with using a winch? The handle turns one way, makes cool clicking noises, and it doesn't cost extra fuel trying to get the boat onto the trailer just right?

JaseBosto

Petty Officer 1st Class

"fenders are level with the waterline"...please explain for the newbs who might read this thread. I back mine in until the water is over my trailer wheels...and just under the top bend/curve of the trailer. That works for my trailer...what about yours?

It varies by trailer, there is no clear cut guidelines due to boats riding higher or lower depending on particular trailer.

JimKW

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had mine out today and have gotten to where I prefer to just do everything myself. I don't use the motor at all to get the boat off the trailer. I just back down until my fenders are level with the water and push it off. If it doesn't go I get in the truck and back down until I see it float a little. Always having the bow line tied to the winch post. Once I push it off, I turn the truck off, go back untie the boat and get in the boat and back out and drive over to the courtesy dock. Hate tieing up the ramp by leaving my truck there, but I have no choice. I move quick as I can, but I don't run.

Coming back in go to courtesy dock, dock the boat, go get the truck and trailer, pull the winch strap out about three or four feet. Back down the ramp until the fenders are at water level, go over undock the boat and drive up onto the trailer and as slow as I can go. I have a pole with a hook on it and when the boat stops on its own I use the hook to grab the winch strap. I hook the strap to the bow hook and at this point I usually give it a little nudge to move it up just a little more, but based on this thread, I didn't do that today. I just went back turned the engine off, put the outdrive in trailer position, stepped out onto the trailer, walked up to the handle, stepped down into less than a foot of water and cranked it in. It really didn't take much effort at all to just crank it in about two feet.

I really think the key to the whole thing is knowing how deep in to have the trailer for both unloading and loading. If mine is in too deep when loading the bunks will not straighten the boat out. If it's not in far enough, it's darn hard to crank it and I will just back the trailer down just a little further.

Practice makes perfect and I feel like I'm pretty darn good at this, and I just started last August.

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

There is an animation at the bottom of the page in the following link that shows why powerloading can be bad.

http://www.boat-ed.com/mn/course/p2-4_trailering.htm

That was a very good link to put on here. I just watched that animated video, and it is very true on what happens past the concrete line in the water. I have heard in many places where they will charge you to power load your boat or they will charge you to throttle your boat off the trailer. It can cause damage to the ramp area from the exhaust from the boat. I do like that video though.