PowerLoading

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: PowerLoading

Too many variables to make any kind of general assumption about it.

water/ramp condition
trailer/boat setup
speed, or power level while doing it
operator

Why is it even an issue? Is it banned at some ramps, and what you prefer?

Perhaps the liabilities involved with some drunk buffoon, 250+HP, a public ramp with children and the like present, and past presentations might limit it.

No assumptions being made, it destroys ramps.

Yes it is banned at many ramps, because it destroys the ramps.

If someone with a longer trailer gets stuck in that hole, it can do lots of damage to the trailer, ruin your day, and tie up the ramp for hours trying to get the stuck trailer out.

Haven't you read the rest of the thread?

D

DJ

Their are opinions on both sides. I've made mine.

This is not a fight and let's not turn it into one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

my trailer is setup for the ramp I use 90% of the time but not so much for the other dozen ramps I use occasionally, one of which requires me to power on and off the trailer, there are times when it's necessary like a heavy wind or current also so never say never guys.

Care to explain this?

Powerloading is a relatively new thing, no one did it 40 years ago.

D

DJ

Trailers, today, are much lower slung and wider. That style not only tows better but makes powerloading possible, for the most part. As we all know, the lower the trailer, the less it has be backed into the water.

In my experience, that trailer style and practice came from western and southern states. Bass fishing had a lot to do with it.

Here is a picture of mine.

My keel is a good 6" below the top of the tire.

P1010188.jpg

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Care to explain this?

Powerloading is a relatively new thing, no one did it 40 years ago.

lol, really? I believe we did, maybe not where you live but we've always done it to some degree and I have never, ever seen a do not powerload at any ramp in south florida or the Keys. One ramp I use occasionally here in the Everglades National Park is very shallow and not well maintained and unless you want to put your truck in salt water you'll use the throttle on and off the trailer. We deal with extreme tides some parts of the year also, last time I checked your average lake boater doesn't have to.

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Boy, do I know how to start a controversial thread or what? :)

jkust

Rear Admiral

I see powerloaders all the time and they do tend to gun it up the trailer. Some of the larger boats really nail it to get it on. It is shunned and there are signs but people don't heed them. I have yet to see a rollertrailer owner powerload. The ones I see are always bunk trailers. I hear a lot of "I should have bought the roller trailer option" after they pl it on. The thing about it is because I have a roller trailer, I never need to back it down far enough to be affected by the drop off that may or may not have been caused by the power loaders. I think you can broad brush it and at least say powerloading has the potential to cause more damage than winching. I also think the whole conversation is part of a bigger picture.

D

DJ

Allow me to shed some light, from first hand experience, regarding ramp issues.

My father was a Wildlife Biologist/District Supervisor for the Michigan DNR for 36 years. His District was basically Mid Michigan-South and East from Clare.

Part of his responsibility was the design, environmental impact study, building, maintenance and repair of waterway controls (gates, culverts, etc.) and boat ramps.

I witnessed, as a youngster and teenager, those projects. That was in the late 1970's. As a teenager, I worked, as a laborer, on some of the crews.

By far, the most damage done to boat ramps was done by the following elements-IN ORDER.

1. Ice. (Buckling causing huge obstacles.)

2. Currents.

3. Run off (including floods).

4. Wave/wake action on unprotected ramps.

5. Low water launching (ruts and holes created by stuck vehicles).

The ramps we built and repaired were pretty much constructed in the same way.

1. A coffer dam was built to allow pumping of the area unless a low water condition allowed construction.

2. An underlayment of gravel was laid.

3. Concrete was poured down to the average waterlevel line. Some were gravel down to the waterline.

4. 12' X 18" (rebar reinforced) concrete slabs were laid down, below the waterline and hooked together with protruding rebar hooks.

5. Some ramps had crushed rip rap dumped at the end. A lot depended on the area conditions.

I would never say that powerloading does not contribute, in some cases, to ramp detioration but it is not the only cause, by any stretch.

jkust

Rear Admiral

My father was a Wildlife Biologist/District Supervisor for the Michigan DNR for 36 years. His District was basically Mid Michigan-South and East from Clare.

Part of his responsibility was the design, environmental impact study, building, maintenance and repair of waterway controls (gates, culverts, etc.) and boat ramps.

I witnessed, as a youngster and teenager, those projects. That was in the late 1970's. As a teenager, I worked, as a laborer, on some of the crews.

By far, the most damage done to boat ramps was done by the following elements-IN ORDER.

2. Currents.

1. A coffer dam was built to allow pumping of the area unless a low water condition allowed construction.

3. Concrete was poured down to the average waterlevel line. Some were gravel down to the waterline.

4. 12' X 18" (rebar reinforced) concrete slabs were laid down, below the waterline and hooked together with protruding rebar hooks.

5. Some ramps had crushed rip rap dumped at the end. A lot depended on the area conditions.

I would never say that powerloading does not contribute, in some cases, to ramp detioration but it is not the only cause, by any stretch.

DJ these all make a lot of sense. What I will say is that the northern MN lakes where the majority of our 11,000+ mostly smallish lakes generally don't seem have many of these problems. We do have Ice however. Whey you say currents, I think rivers, and all lakes have some wave action but flooding isn't an issue and low water levels come and go. How did they put an order on the causes?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Ok then DJ settled it once and for all; Powerloading is a good thing.
There is no such thing as a propwash hole. Everybody powerload, or better yet, let me powerload that baby for you, I'll get her on there. Just a minute, have to get my vest and helmet.

4x4jeep

Cadet

**** I have to power my boat to get the truck up the slick ramp:redface:

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

That's a great idea, roscoe and I can be professional powerloaders...on the trailer $225, in the back of your oversized truck $325...no tax of course, since this is an indispensable service...who has a list of bass tournaments for this summer?...roscoe are you in?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Heck, if I can put it in the truck, I'll do it for $20. :eek:

I have read all the posts on this forum...and it literally makes me laugh that the people WHO DO IT, will try and justify it up one side and down the other...Tell ya what POWER LOADERS...go to a ramp thats washed out, and try and load it THE RIGHT way instead of the LAZY MANS WAY, then tell us how it doesn't affect anything. Power Loading a boat is LAZY, SELFISH, and anything else you can think of. More so, it shows that you DONT KNOW how to LOAD a BOAT properly. Power Loaders are the biggest hypocrites in the boating world!

alwims

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Every bass boat trailer made since the early to middle 70's is some version of a "Drive On Trailer". Hmmmm. I just saw an add for my '85 Ranger and one of the selling points was how well/easy the boat "Powered" onto the trailer. Hmmmm. I guess since this thread has turned into a childish pissing match and everybody is right with nobody wrong, I'll bow out of it for now

GOHAWKS#1

Cadet

2. Currents.

There you go throwing facts at these guys, sheeesh!!

There you go throwing facts at these guys, sheeesh!!
LMAO...yeah...ok....I choose to live in REALITY, not what the WEB says. Or What other people WANT you to think. I live in South Florida, the ramps down here are SHOT because of POWER LOADERS...PLAIN and SIMPLE...I am done with this thread, truth hurts and people can't handle it. :eek::eek::eek::eek: