grzzzz

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Post a pic of your starcraft!

boatcabins.jpg

My 66 Holiday, restored last year.boat3 015.jpg

70smithy

Cadet

Hello all. We picked up our 1974 16' American Bowrider last June and had a blast all summer. Now she's due for a bit of an "upgrade" and some interior mods to make her more suitable for the coastal life she now enjoys. Love this boat and can't stand the thought of others like it rotting in disrepair all over the country.

Shiloh-20110625-00062.jpg

Last edited:

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Hello all. We picked up our 1974 16' American Bowrider last June and had a blast all summer. Now she's due for a bit of an "upgrade" and some interior mods to make her more suitable for the coastal life she now enjoys. Love this boat and can't stand the thought of others like it rotting in disrepair all over the country.

View attachment 146700

nice looking boat!

Blacksting

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 146700
,.........Hi Smitty , sweet ride . is that a 40hp johnny you got there ? i have a '73 American V14 i'm working on . not many out there . mine almost went to the dumps along w/ another boat on blocks . sat for 10 years cause the owner fell ill. had a small tree growing in the back but i think theres' still a few more years left in her . ,...upgrade??? looks just fine the way she is .

SierraMark

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hello Fellow Starcrafters,

I bought a 1991 Fishmaster 165C earlier this spring. It has a 40HP Mercury motor on it.
The boat runs great and I've had it out a few times so far this year.
I am planning on re-doing the decking and maybe making some mods to the interior later this year or maybe over the winter. Not sure exactly when yet.

Below is a picture of the boat. I will post more when I get some.
boat - smaller.jpg

-Mark

70smithy

Cadet

,.........Hi Smitty , sweet ride . is that a 40hp johnny you got there ? i have a '73 American V14 i'm working on . not many out there . mine almost went to the dumps along w/ another boat on blocks . sat for 10 years cause the owner fell ill. had a small tree growing in the back but i think theres' still a few more years left in her . ,...upgrade??? looks just fine the way she is .

Thanks for the comments! The motor is a '75 70hp Johnson. You can't kill this thing, and we tried. (That's a whole other story)

I am glad to hear that you are bringing yours back from the brink too. Luckily, mine was in pretty good shape when I got her. I can see how making these boats shine again could become an addiction.

We use this boat for pleasure cruising, skiing and fishing so we need to adapt for all three. With Cheap Thrills (every boat has to have a name!) primarily being used in saltwater now, maintenance becomes an issue. Hence, the following repairs and "upgrades":

-New floor: Old one was rotten. New one has double layer of glass and will be top coated with Kiwi grip non skid for ease of hosing out salt spray and nasty bait mishaps.

-Remove upper vinyl wrapped bolster on both sides and fill, fair and prime old mounting holes and paint a stripe to keep "the look". This will also be easier to keep clean.

-The lower bolsters that form the pocket on each side will be restored to their original shape and be wrapped in padded vinyl, a la, the original. (Thanks to the brochures that were posted on here, as well as online image searches)

-We are closing in the bow portion at the height of the seat, coating with non skid and making a new cushion to cover the whole area and keeping the side bolsters. It will make for a larger "sun pad" when cruising, and a great casting platform for shrimp and fishing, which around here is a must! Also, storage below will be a help.

-New stripe: The boat had a wavy red double decal stripe when we bought it, but we have stripped it off and are going to go back with the original Starcraft stripe design. You can still see the witness lines in the right light. It is just too iconic and stylish not too! I would love to strip all of the hardware and give her a whole new paint job on the topside, but the water is calling, and with 100 degree days around the corner, I'm listening.

-Other than that, it's new vinyl cushions all around (not face screwed this time), new back to backs to keep it real, and a couple of small touches to up the wow factor (ie: rope light accents for nighttime booze cruises and a whopper of a stereo so my wife can "hear the music from the end of a ski rope!")

People ask me all the time, "Are you sure you want to do all that to this boat?" and my reply is that I fell in love with it and that's all that matters. We are having fun with it, and giving a great American product a new lease on life! Besides, this boat is light enough for me to haul without buying a new vehicle, handles great on the water and is more versatile than most of the newer products on the market.

Also, it's paid for! "Cheap Thrills"!!!

ChieftainCC

Cadet

This is my first post and I would just like to thank everyone for all the great information I have learned from this page. This past fall I bought my first Starcraft. A 1975 25' chieftain, soon to become a 25' CC. This will be my first remodel of a boat but with all I have learned from reading these forums and from working with aluminum all day at work. I figured if im going to do this I might as well go big. So here is a few before pics. More pics will follow over the next year or so.

ChieftainCC

Cadet

pics

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 6

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This is my first post and I would just like to thank everyone for all the great information I have learned from this page. This past fall I bought my first Starcraft. A 1975 25' chieftain, soon to become a 25' CC. This will be my first remodel of a boat but with all I have learned from reading these forums and from working with aluminum all day at work. I figured if im going to do this I might as well go big. So here is a few before pics. More pics will follow over the next year or so.

Welcome Aboard..It is EXACTLY this type of diverse thinking that makes this forum and it's members GREAT!
Nobody here I know of would think of hacking off a big girls cabin to make a CC..I bet some members will be wanting items from your soon to be scrap heap!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Smokes, a 25' CC?? That deck will feel like a football field:)

I'm way into cutting boats and making them into whatever is needed, but I don't think I could do it on that 25 footer with the big cabin.

catfishr1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Howdy Chieftain CC; Welcome aboard. Great looking boat. You have come to the right forum. These are a great group of Starcrafters. I know I could not hack The old girl up, but understand that you have to do what makes us happy. Good luck &happy and safe boating pard.

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a photo of my 1966 Starcraft Jupiter with its original 1966 Evinrude 60hp SportFour. Also in the photo is my soon to be scrapped 1975 Starcraft American 16 with a 1985 Johnson 115 V4. I am working hard to finish up the restoration of the Jupiter. I am in the middle of rebuilding the transom. The 60hp Evinrude is not going back on the boat. Instead, the Johnson 115 will be installed. I am hoping to sell the Evinrude soon.
IMG_0548.jpg
I purchased the 1966 Jupiter off ebay a few months back for $531.23 for the all original boat, motor, & trailer.
(never seen salt water)

I bought the 1975 American 16 locally off Craigslist for $200 for boat,motor,& trailer.
IMG_0548_2.jpg
The American 16 needs stringers & floor replaced. The Johnson 115 was not running when I purchased the boat and I had to replace and repair someone's hacked up wiring job along with eliminating the VRO system & replacing the starter, fuel pump, fuel primer, and tilt/trim assembly. It runs great now. I'm sure it will be way too much power for the Jupiter (max hp 85) but it should be about the same weight motor as the 70's models Johnson/Evinrude 85hp V4's that I have seen on several of these boats. I'll just have to control myself with the throttle.

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

jgeist

Recruit

Our newest addition, just brought her home today.. Not really sure about the model, but from what I can tell so far it is a 1972 16' Starcraft and I think that it is an SS, but not sure yet...:cool:

a1eb957f.jpg

4f0d617d.jpg

da14d15e.jpg

8fb88ecb.jpg

885946e3.jpg

Thanks for the great site, I still have tons to read and learn from all of your experiences...