Politics Forum?

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Politics Forum?

I think we should get one just to keep the politics out of dockside chat, I'd never browse it, but it would be nice to keep that stuff in a different forum.

BassCat73

Petty Officer 1st Class

Never thought of it from a Mod's point of view. I can certainly imagine it's not a very easy job, JB. So, I tip my hat to all of the moderators on here.<br />Keep up the good work.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Yeah I can't imagine having to sift through all that stuff. I hope you guys understand that your work is much appreciated, despite the fact that it rarely gets mentioned.<br /><br />Its not that I have a problem with political posts. At first I read and posted in them.....but that all changed when the volume of threads about the same topics, and the "hogwash" from both sides, and most importantly the influx of political "propaganda" that shows up in threads not intended to be political became so prevalent in the dockside chat.<br /><br />Like it has been said before, if we could drop the bantering, name calling, and as JB calls it hogwash from all directions, I doubt there would be an issue. It really is a shame any of this has even come to the surface. Think of what new members think when they first wander into the dockside chat. I for one would be a little shocked at the way some threads have gone and how some members act. I would definately be questioning whether or not i wanted to be a part of this forum after the engine questions i had were answered. Someone will say how if they dont want to be here let them go, but I think any forum thrives on diverse personalities and opinions. We have no shortage of those, but I think we could all be more careful in how we utilize them. I may catch fire for that one, but this IS a great forum and it should stay that way.

Skinnywater

Commander

JB wrote;<br />
I think our rules about civil and polite discourse are all the censorship that is justified on this forum. <br /><br />Perhaps a temporary ban on C&P and quotes of inflammatory material is justified, requiring members to have and express only their own thoughts in a civil manner.
So, it's all settled then.<br />Keep up the good work JB.

ErikDC

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm now leaning towards totally banning political chat. Many good points have been made and for the health of the community, I say ban all of it. Yeah, one can argue for "intelligent discourse" and "freedom of thoughts and expression" but in the end it almost always ends up as an ugly personal exchange and the last time I checked, the Mods around here aren't bound by the Constitution as far as enforcing rights such as the freedom of speech. Besides, this isn't ipolitics.com, it's iboats.com. Just a thought! :D

dolluper

Captain

Man living in Canada's crapital I get enough unwanted politics on the news Why do you think I'm here to get away from it and hang around with the boys and their toys much more interesting and I love motors all my life

Skinnywater

Commander

I'm now leaning towards totally banning political chat. Many good points have been made and for the health of the community, I say ban all of it.
EricDC, it's your topic you're gonna have to own it. :confused: <br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=010994 <br /> <br />
They fight for our right to hold and express our own opinions. I don't have to respect anyone's opinion. I have that right to dissent.
BrettNC, three posts clarifying you don't have to respect squat. If not respecting the other point of political view then you're in a brawl. If you can't bring your way to respect a debate, then why not be civil?<br /><br />And that's what it's all about here.<br />I don't believe it's as much the political thread as it is "the brawl" that some confuse as debate.<br /><br />There isn't very much these days that isn't political. When you start some idle chit-chat about almost anything it will contain some politics. Where are you going to draw the line? <br /><br />Then there is simply self-control. Politics isn't for everyone, if it hurts your head, save yourself. With-in the first post you should be able to hit the back button without to much harm.<br /><br />If your non-political thread loses ground here then it's simply not popular.<br /><br />debate,<br />1.To discuss reasons for and against something.<br />2.To take part in a debate with a person or a question.<br />3.A discussion of opposing reasons.<br />4. A formal skill in reasoned arguement.<br /><br />Maybe we can police ourselves.