Police and Seatbelts

Ralph 123

Captain
Re: Police and Seatbelts

I knew we saw more eye-to-eye than the posts implied DD. <br /><br />How could I beat the ticket? The street is very rural (there's a farm with cows). It has no posted speed limit and the Officer claimed it was 30mph. I was doing about 33 - 35 and he acknowledged that. the previous posted speed limit about 2mi up the same road in a much more heavily settled area is 35mph. Other adjacent streets with posted limits and much more heavily settled run 35mph - 45mph. All I need to do is film the ride... Fundamental speed law comes into play and I was well within that range. <br /><br />He was waiting in ambush in the woods and he made it clear that he was there to write seat belt tickets (not too bright because the road is not that heavily traveled and 95% are probably residents). He was a young guy - an older officer would have likely just warned me or not stopped me at all knowing the speed limit was at least 35mph - heck he wouldn't have been there in the first place.<br /><br />I was very nice to the kid and didn't argue at all. He was professional. It wasn't an unpleasant experience per se. <br /><br />Ambushing a resident to make his quota for tickets that are not even moving violations in MA was dumb. They haven't put an officer there since ( I travel that road almost daily). I bet someone saw where that ticket was written for a resident and dope slapped him. <br /><br />Don't get me wrong, my local police will tell you I am a big supporter. Like I said, I have several police officers in my family. I chalked this one up to a rookie making a rookie mistake, but in case they didn't get the message at HQ I am withholding the next contribution to make my point.

D

DJ

DD,<br /><br />God Bless you. You are doing yeomans work for peanuts. A travesty, in my book.<br /><br />Thank you sir, for your servive

Ralph 123

Captain

No difference DJ - none, except you happen to agree with one of them. Wearing a seat belt is no different from any other "lifestyle" choice. Just like wearing a PFD, or eating hamburgers and French fries everyday.<br /><br />Not wearing a seat belt does not guarantee you will be killed or injured just like eating fatty foods every day does not mean you'll necessarily get heart disease.<br /><br />What's the probability of even being in an accident in which a seat belt will have a difference in the outcome? I bet the chances of getting cancer from cigarettes is much higher and yet we have the FREEDOM to smoke. Freedom means having the right to take risks with your own life. They may be risks others wouldn't take but that's what makes life interesting.<br /><br />Why aren't school buses required to have seat belts? Why are police officers and other government officials exempt from the law? Why would we be risking our children and public servants in that way? Perhaps we shouldn't cover them in the event they are injured in an accident. <br /><br />Maybe we should outlaw small vehicles like Fiats? Maybe we should require every vehicle to have a roll cage... where does it all end?

D

DJ

Ralph,<br /><br />Again, no comparison. Donning the correct equipment for an activity (like driving) is expected.<br /><br />Eating is a necessity, driving is not necessarily.<br /><br />
Why aren't school buses required to have seat belts? Why are police officers and other government officials exempt from the law? Why would we be risking our children and public servants in that way?
I could not agree more. Especially the school bus thing. I never could understand that.

Ralph 123

Captain

The activity itself is inherently dangerous. You can do everything right diving and still die. But YOU CHOOSE to take the risk with your own life. There is no difference... risky activity is risky activity. <br /><br />That's why you can't ride a motorcycle if you're an NFL player. You can do EVERYTHING right on a bike and still get killed with a greater likelihood than you will be injured in a serious auto accident because you failed to wear your seat belt and the air bag did not save you.

D

DJ

and the air bag did not save you.<br />
That is another total misrepresentation by the media. <br /><br />Actually, airbags are completely useless without seat belts.<br /><br />All I'm saying is that not using the tools available to prevent serious injury is careless.<br /><br />Illness, is NOT always up to those that become ill.

Ralph 123

Captain

It's all relative DJ. Should a motorcyclist be required to wear a Kevlar suit and full facial helmet? Are ones that use anything less "careless"? Is riding a motorcycle in and of itself "careless?" If a police officer fails to wear a bullet proof vest is he "careless?" Should we deny his death benefits and family's pension as a result if he gets shot?<br /><br />Do you put on your PFD the minute you get on your boat and only take it off when safely docked? Is doing anything less "careless?" Do you carry an EPIRB aboard? How about a life raft or the many other products available (but not mandatory) that will reduce the risk of boating? Is boating with anything less "careless?" Maybe in some people's opinion but thank God we live in a country where we can make our own decisions (usually that is).