Police and Seatbelts

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Police and Seatbelts

Just got back online after a long week of 78 hours, had to jump on this one. <br />First here in nebraska the seat belt law is secondary to a citation. Meaning a person has to be isued a ticket for something else first. Not just stopped, but issued a citation.<br />Next, how can it be about the money? I know some states the cities actually get the money back into their budget, but it goes into general funds. Cops can not draw from general funds in most states, so why do we care? In my state the money from citations goes to the schools. It supplements the state monies put into the schools. if the local school here needs $500,000 to operate for a year they get $500,000 from the state. If we generate $100,000 in fine money then the school gets that $100,000 and the state kicks in $400,000. What do I care if the state saves a few bucks with my local school. There is nothing there that helps me directly, or my department. The judge likes it because for every ticket he gets $1 added to his retirement fund. My 200 tickets a year really will by his yacht when he retires in a few years. So no, HERE it is not about the money.<br />To answer the questions, NO we usually do not have anything better to do that harass those poor innocent whiney childish motorists that are breaking the laws. MY job is to enforce the laws, so why in the world would I ever want to make sure everyone that is EVERYONE is obeying those laws. Yes, with high crime rates we do SOMETIMES have better things to do. I spend most of my time on criminal investigations, but on those days when there are no investigations or I am completely burned out from trying to find out how a teenager came to end their own life, or why grandpa decided to touch his 3 year old in an adult manner, yes I like to unwind by writing innocent people tickets to save the state that $25. <br />OH yeah, I do love scraping bodies off of the roads because they have been thrown from their vehicle in front of a speeding semi. Yes, been there done that. See that once you will change your mind. Yes, it was that motorists own decision. They took their life in their hands. It was and should have been his decision to go un-belted. It was also hios decision to make his 4 year old sit in the car seat wondering why daddy is laying on the highway hurt for 10 minutes until one of us pond scum found the time to go help. It was his decision to give us first responders the memory we will live with for the rest of our lives. I really enjoy people that give me the oppurtunity to see their broken bodies. <br />How upset would everyone here be if someone was speeding past your home while your child or grandchild was in the front yard playing? Now how upset would you be if a cop was sitting there watching that motorist speed by and did nothing for fear of being accused of harassing that poor motorist? But that would be different wouldn't it?<br />I have to admit I am a hypocrit though, I do not wear my seatbelt around town. I do on the highway because I have seen what happens in most cases when poeple don't. I must also admit I have only written about 4 or 5 seat belt tickets in my 10 year carreer. <br />The click it or ticket is a national deal put on by the national highway safety department. They gete no extra money from tickets issued. They do a lot of work for traffic safety, car seat clinics, all kind of demonstrations. Last year and this year our department participated. The only thing we got in return is some overtime money for our deputies and a digital camera. The only thing this is is a media campaign. We as a department do a survey to report how many people are using seat belts. We submit this infgormation. If our area is the highest in the state for seat belt use we get a grant for a peice of needed equipment. MOST departments rely on grants for everything, and with homeland security and the way the economy is going the grants are about gone. We don't get more money for each ticket, all we get is a chance to report the usage in our area. <br />Now, I am sorry that I came off like this. From behind the badge I can say that it gets old people complaining that we do not do our job, then complaining when we do. I guess we are a figure to sit on a shelf to be taken down and flashed around whenever someone feels threatened then put away until next time? I hope by my rantings someone will think next time, what is that cop doing? Instead of immediately going off making assumptions, think of what is really happening. Then maybe make a set of rules that we are supposed to do unless this or that, then change them to fit your needs. <br />Better yet, if you are curious about cops or don't think they do their job right, check into your local department. Most have ride along programs. Take a few nights out from behind your safe secure locked door and see what they are really doing. I have opened more peoples eyes this way. When anyone complains I invite them to ride. Most have a great eye opener. <br />Again I am sorry for offending anyone with my harsh opinion. Now I am going to go back and harass more innocent people breaking the law, or maybe see if I can determine which ones the law applies to and which ones it does not. And then I will wait patiently for Monday night at 6P.M. when I go off duty. I hear a lake and a fishing pole calling my name!

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> ...to avoid all those assholes... :rolleyes:
The ones protecting YOUR life and liberty. <br />BE THANKFUL HE'S WILLING TO GET OUT OF HIS PATROL CAR.<br />If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br /> Big push on in WA State now Link. They want to be your Daddy. PW would be proud of them. Don't forget to "CLICK IT OR TICKET" :p It's kinda like businesses who have constant sales. They want to increase their revenue; all under the guise of looking out for your best interests. <br /><br />Seriously, I DO NOT WEAR MY SEAT BELT!!!!! I'm tired of BIG DADDY Government. Didn't have to wear one when I started driving and I ain't gonna start now. If it is icey out, I'll put one on. The only time I was ever in an accident, I'da been dead if I'd had one on. My neck would have only had one place to go and that was over the top of the steering wheel. The roof header was crushed to 3" below the top of the steering wheel and my neck woulda been in between them. (Flipped over the front end of the car)
Ah, Boomyal, there's the self-righteous explaination of why not to wear a seatbelt. The seat belt would have kept you from going forward over the steering wheel. And only wearing your seatbelt in icy or "dangerous" conditions is just like only wearing your PFD in choppy waters, or in the big waters, or, or, or.<br /><br />And the Click it or ticket signs, banners etc, are only reminding you to buckle up so you WON"T pay a fine. Look at it as friendly reminder acting in your best interest.

Ralph 123

Captain

Funny they are setting up check points (random stops - totally unconstitutional) to check for seat belts but they can't be bothered keeping the terrorist from crossing the border. Boy we have our priorities wrong!<br /><br />My local police department has just lost all my yearly donations to all their pet funds. They said I was speeding (maybe 3 miles over limit in unposted zone) just to ticket me for a seatbelt violation. No speeding ticket mind you - just the seat belt ticket. All this in a state where we repealed a mandatory seat belt law by popular referendum once already and they passed the darn law again! I can't wait until the next fund raising call... Oh, I can't wait!!!!<br /><br />A few months ago I ripped into a State Senator on a popular radio talk program. I asked him what right he had to override the will of the people who already spoke on this issue in a state-wide vote. I thought we lived in a government of the people, by the people and for the people! he basically admitted it was all about the money. Without the law the Feds would withhold highway funds. I told him we knew that and WE THE PEOPLE decided to forego the money!<br /><br />Here's a tip to law enforcement, harassing the people in your own communities is really short sighted.<br /><br />
<br />Although at some point the balance is going to be upset to the point that law enforcement will view everyone as perps. And the innocent will distrust and fear law enforcement
You nailed it as usual Skinnywater.

Skinnywater

Commander

Ah, Boomyal, there's the self-righteous explaination......
Me thinks you confuse "self-rightious" with "individualism" too often. ;) <br />
If you aren't doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear.
You make it mighty tempting for me David. But I'll let someone else explain why this one doesn't fly either. :)

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Courts have ruled many times that random checkpoints are constitutional, as long as they are random. If we set up and stop every car, ever third car, whatever it is completely legal and constitutional. This has been ruled on by the supreme courts many times. Now if we set up and stopped all Fords, all people over 6 foot tall, any red car, that would be wrong. If we set up and stopped whatever we felt like that would be wrong. <br />I would gladly drop everything to stop terrirosts at our borders, but I really can't do that for what should be obvious reasons. I will promise though, if I ever see one crossing into my county he is mine! But then someone will cry and say it was unfair. Yes terrorism needs to be priority IN THE RIGHT CIRCLE. Local cops have nothing to do with this. That is the military, border patrol, FBI, CIA, NSA and a few other letters. It is not your local village cop. Take a second and look from a realistic point of view, if we got rid of all cops and put all our money to something else, then who would you call when the safety and security of your locked door failed you? Take things into your own hands? Then what separates you from them? <br />I do disagree with seat belt laws. I do agree with wearing them, I have seen first hand that they do save lives. But I do not like Big Brother telling us we have to wear them. BUT it is my job to enforce all of the laws, not just the laws I like. I would be failing in my job if I would pick and choose what laws to enforce. I believe it is an intruision to make a law to force people to wear belts. I also feel the states that allow seatbelt laws as primary offenses are wrong. Your vehicle sould be covered under the constitution as a place with a reasonable expectation of privacy and should be protected. To this, next time you see a Camaro look close and see. It is very hard to tell if the driver has a belt on because of the position of the seat. This car and many others out there are designed in such a way it is very hard to see the seatbelt. <br />Now a few posts back someone whined about the lcoal cops stopping people walking from the bar. Have you asked (in a nice civil tone) why they do this? I have one town in my jurisdiction that we did this for a while. The bar owner complained until I explained it to him. People living and owning businesses in this area complained. The reason for these complaints, the drunks walking were urinating in their yards, on their store windows, on the sidwalks in front of the local businesses. It did have a funky odor along that sidewalk. So we started offering rides home for those we found walking. It was a courtesy to the drunks, and doing our duty to the people owning property along the sidewalks to and from the bar. The only thing, NOBODY will ever get into my car without being searched for weapons and checked for warrants. This is because no matter who cries and who I offend I am going to go home and see my children. I promised my wife I will not go home with any new holes in me. <br />Those of you who complain about the cops attitude, think for just a civil minute why we have our attitudes. Part is because we get beat up from those we arrest, beat up verbally from those we protect, accused of not doing enough, then doing too much all at once. Think of the why.<br />Like I said, take a walk in the cops shoes. Take a ride along and see what and why.

Ralph 123

Captain

So, if you stop people based on profiling (probability based reasoning) it's unconstitutional but if you intrude, impede and harass law abiding citizens for no reason whatsoever that's legal. Makes sense to me! We should start searching homes (based on some random selection of coarse). I bet we'll find lots of law breakers that way...<br /><br />That's why we need judges who strictly interpret the constitution as opposed to these activist judges busy trying to control every thing we do. <br /><br />Local police have a lot to do with keeping the public safe from terrorists. They are the last line of defense. Local police busy with random stops and roadblocks are unavailable to do more important things. In addition, the Feds are the ones pushing this seat belt enforcement campaign instead of focusing time and resources on important things.<br /><br />Police are just doing what they are told to do I understand that but that doesn't mean they are forgiven for a lack of discretion or for not speaking up about what their priorities should be. They aren't except from being concerned citizens. Police pick and choose what laws they enforce every day - in the real world I live in that is... That lack of discretion just cost my local police a few hundred bucks a year from me.

aspeck

Staff member

Deputydawg, I gotta agree with you on your posts, but I don't like the law, and will pay the price to ignore it. I did not complain to the officer when I recieved my citation for not wearing the belt, I was polite, thanked him (sincerely, not sarcastically), and then told him if he wanted he could write me up again because I was passionate about my belief and would be pulling out without my seatbelt on.<br /><br />It is not the messenger that I dislike, it is the message. I have the utmost respect for MOST LEO's, and want all of them to get home to their families without any extra holes at the end of the day. Working with EMS, I work with many LEO's and they are sincere, caring, compassionate individuals. Unfortunately it is the few with the "attitude" that make it rough for all.<br /><br />DD, and all other LEO's, do what you must do to uphold ALL the laws. We the citizens must do what we can do to change some of these laws, like finding judges who will enforce the Constitution, not make their own rules. And by saying NO to the Fed when they try to blackmail the states - enforce this law or we will cut off your money. Sounds like extortion to me!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I wear mine, might not like it, but I do. In Ohio now it is a primary violation. You can and will be pulled over. If your passing through Ohio, those out of state tags is a target if you don't have the belt on.<br /><br />So out of staters, please visit this state. We need more out of state money to help fund our state government. I wouldn't doubt that soon there will be a tax leveied for those moving out of state. Thank God for term limits!<br /><br />Seats belts have proven to save lives,,,,would you ride one of those wild roller coasters without one?

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

What I don't understand.... about this state anyway, why can you ride a motorcycle without a protective helmet but you must wear a seatbelt driving a car. I do both for my own peace of mind but it seems that the bike without head protection is as or more hazardous than the car without a belt. Where are the politicians heads when they come up with this stuff? I have some pics that I took just last week of a Lexus that a young man wrecked...flew into a big pine tree topfirst right at the windshield. I thought when I came upon the wreck that surely someone was dead. The kid was standing by the car waiting for the police to come, which he'd called on his cell phone. Seatbelts and airbags and the hand of God kept this young man alive. If anyone is interested I can post the pics. Anyway, this kid said that he'd never get in a car again without his belt... said that he was a sporadic user before and the he just happened to have them on this time.

sue5878

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting Post.<br /><br />I can remember thinking similar thing to most when West Aust introduced seatbelt laws in 1968.<br /><br />Then in 1976 I decided to follow in my father's footsteps. If I had a dollar for every time I've seen a dead body on the road because they weren't wearing a seatbelt I'd be pissed (thats the Aussie phrase to indicate that I had far too many beers).<br /><br />I have seen a couple of accidents that I suspect someone may have survived, but for a seatbelt, but in reality the number is very small compared to the dead bodies that should have survived had they put on a belt.<br /><br />Whilst I understand the majority of comments to date, I also suspect that not many have had to knock on a door to advise loved ones that someone is not comming home. <br /><br />Wife, kids, brother sister or whatever it is not nice.<br /><br />I can put up with the blood and guts, but I have never really got used to that job.<br /><br />Take your chances, but think of your family and friends at the same time.<br /><br />GR

Ralph 123

Captain

Want to know how you lose your freedom? It's done by laws just like this. By people defending an intrusive law because it is "good for YOU." It may "save YOUR life." Well, so will eating right, do you want the State controlling what you eat? So will drinking less, do you want the State controlling how much you drink? So will mandatory physicals every six months, do you want the Sate to tell you when you need to go to the Doctors? See how it works? Where will it end if you don't stand up now and fight? Laws are meant to control behavior only when it intrudes on the rights of others. Period. End of story. They have no business making you do things THEY consider "good for YOU."<br /><br />If the Feds and the States are so convinced of the effectiveness of seat belts why aren't they mandatory on school buses? MONEY that's why. Why are cigarettes legal if they are sooo bad for you? Money that's why. It's all about money. The money the insurance companies spend to lobby for the seat belt law. The money the States make off the violations, etc. etc. But, they are sooo goood for you who cares if we are heading down the slippery slope of state control of our lives?

Stratosfied

Ensign

It would be interesting to see, if given the amount of exposure and $$ that has been poured into Click it or ticket, what the true outcome is in this. That is, if all this money and commercials and newspaper articles and all that, targeted say, Druggies, then what would be a more productive and responsible program, and which would be better for society as a whole??

D

DJ

I completely understand some folks problem with having the big hand of government tell you what to do. I agree-totally.<br /><br />On the other hand, seat belts are a proven life saver.<br /><br />If you do not want to wear them, that's your choice, in my opinion.<br /><br />However, DON'T expect me to support you, with public funds (social security)if you become disabled because of your "choice" not to wear them. <br /><br />The same goes for motorcycle helmets. I call riders without them-"organ donors".

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

I wear my seat belt about 99% of the time. Only time I don't is in the subdivision up at the lake where you don't get over 20mph.<br /><br />I agree the govt. should stay out of it. they will start forcing us to do other things "for our safety".<br /><br />to see what happens in a crash, click on the link below. It's about a 3meg file with a dash mounted camera.<br /><br /> http://www.keltonkrew.com/temp/no-seat-belt.avi

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I agree too that the government should pay less attention to controlling our lives and more attention to protecting our lives and property with the laws they impose. I also believe that there is the letter of the laws and the intent of the laws. This has been twisted in most cases.<br />Now to use discretion in my job. How does one do this? Do I get a list of names of those who do not obey laws? How does one make this list? Is it economic, social, age, gender, race? <br />So if the laws do not apply to the local citizens in the small town, does that drug dealer also live in a small town? Or does he get his name taken off of the list because he is a bad man? Do I look and if your dressed nice, short hair, high dollar shoes, nice car, then assume most laws do not apply here? <br />This past weekend I stopped a nice looking rich appearing clean cut citizen for a minor violation. Turns out this nice little local boy was drunk, stoned, in possession of meth, possing marijuana, and an illegal firearm. So, which law applies to him? How do I decide? On the surface he was a decent clean cut boy from a nice neighborhood and a rich family. Hmm, the theory of discretion goes out the window there I guess. If someone can figure out these answers please help me with them.

Ralph 123

Captain

However, DON'T expect me to support you, with public funds (social security)if you become disabled because of your "choice" not to wear them.
What about people in dangerous professions? Should we not allow them to collect their SSI benefits if they are incapacitated? After all, they chose the job. It's their own fault they were injured right? What about people who eat too much fatty foods and get heart disease? Should we cut them off too? We should definitely cutoff smokers and drinkers too right? How about "fools" who ski, skydive, scuba dive, own motor boats, ride horses, all risky activities. We should cut them all off too right?... where do you draw the line? A slippery slope I tell you and otherwise well intentioned people are all too eager to start down it without knowing where the bottom is...<br /><br />Then again, these people should get some sort of benefit since they tend to die younger and therefore collect less SS benefits than the "good people" who live life safely. Maybe we can exempt them from SS taxes all together! Now there's an idea!

Ralph 123

Captain

Hey DD, if you don't know how to use discretion it's probably a good idea to go by the book. I know plenty of officers who do it every day including several family members. If police officers went by the book you wouldn't be able to get near a courthouse... maybe life is simpler in small towns where every law is enforced to the letter. But even in small towns you have Deputy Fife who exercises no discretion and Sheriff Andy who exercises it a lot.<br /><br />I'll note that the local officer who pulled me over used "discretion" in not giving me a speeding ticket but citing me for no seat belt. Of coarse if he did hit me with the speeding ticket I would have beat him easily in court and he probably knew that when he exercised his "discretion" not to cite me. He also did not try to hide the fact they were on a campaign to write seat belt tickets...

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

Ralph, I do agree with you on most of your points, but I like to debate both sides of any arguement. I have worked in a big city and now in a county with both big cities and small villages and I douse discretion in my job. That is the intent of my position. There are so many variables in my world that there is no one way to do everything. In the original post on this thread the author said that they had been stopped several times because the officer could not see their seat belt. I can't say right or wrong there. If it is the same officer it may be wrong, but in most cases officers do not remember from day to day who they have stopped. Now after more than 2 stops that officer should know who it is they are stopping. If it is a different officer each time then the only thing I see wrong is stopping for a seat belt as a primary violation...but that is the way that states law is written. I do not know who the other officers on my department or even my shift have stopped. As supervisor I see all citations and stop records, but I can't remember who has been stopped for what. <br />Like I said I see the legislative intent of laws and the letter of the laws. Take DWI laws in my state. The law says they are enforcable on private and public property. Does that mean if you are drunk at your home showing a buddy your new car, you get in start it and lay a black mark in your driveway, can I stop you and arrest for DWI? By the writing of the law yes because your driving drunk on private property. BUT the intent of the law is to cover people tearing around McDonalds parking lots drunk, or wal mart parking lots. It is written to include all private property but not intended to include peoples homes and yards. <br />Another question is this, if I see a male of middle eastern descent walking down the street with a rifle slung on his back, can I stop and question him? if I do what will happen to me and my career? <br />Your speeding stop, why would you say you could have beaten it in court? I am just wondering because I see so many people that think they know the laws. <br />I know also there are over 1 million oficers in this country. There are a lot of good ones and a lot of bad ones. Some have seen so much that they are burned out and do nothing. Some are burned out and go overboard. Some are just crooked from the start. There are good ones and bad ones. It is fact that the good ones outnumber the bad ones by thousands to one, but that one bad one gives all of us a bad name. <br />I ask everyone who has had a bad experience with cops to walk in the cops shoes. If you have ever had to knock on a door and tell someone their child was just killed in a wreck, or ever had to do some of the other things I have done in my career the understanding would be on a different level. Next time you meet an offensive cop first think what that cop just came to you from. Coming to mind, one traffic stop when I first started. The man driving wanted to kill himself but lost his nerve so he wanted me to do it. He drove breaking all traffic laws until he got stopped. As soon as he stopped he got out and pulled a gun. I drew but held fire for some reason. It just didn't look right. His gun was not loaded. He didn't wnat to hurt anyone but wanted me to kill him. Now the next traffic stop I made, do you think I was very kind and friendly? It was hard to get that image of a gun barrel pointed at me out of my mind. I found myself with my hand on my gun on every traffic stop for about a week. Prople complained but it was a reflex for me. And that was in a small town population 2,800.

D

DJ

What about people in dangerous professions? Should we not allow them to collect their SSI benefits if they are incapacitated? After all, they chose the job. It's their own fault they were injured right? What about people who eat too much fatty foods and get heart disease? Should we cut them off too? We should definitely cutoff smokers and drinkers too right? How about "fools" who ski, skydive, scuba dive, own motor boats, ride horses, all risky activities. We should cut them all off too right?... where do you draw the line? A slippery slope I tell you and otherwise well intentioned people are all too eager to start down it without knowing where the bottom is...<br />
Ralph,<br /><br />No comparison. The habits you speak of are "lifestyles". Do we want the gov. poking into that too? NO!<br /><br />Putting on a seatbelt is a required action before driving, in my book. Not unlike putting on a parachute before skydiving. Having bad habits is a lifestyle.<br /><br />Bad "lifestyle" habits will surely kill you-maybe, but preventing getting thrown through a windshield, again when preventable, is a "no brainer" to me.<br /><br /><br />My father got to see two dead teenage girls that broke their necks on the side of his van after being ejected (not belted) from a Fiat X-19 that broadsided him.<br /><br />Even after all the death and destruction he saw in WWII, that incident affected him the most.<br /><br />His words: "war is one thing, stupidity and carelessness is another".