Police and Seatbelts

IBFishing

Seaman
Ok, I'm starting to get agrivated about this. Earlier today, I was pulled over because the cop couldn't see that I had my seatbelt on. This wouldn't bother me usually, but this is the forth time in a 1.5 month time period and every single time, I DID have my seatbelt on. It has been a different cop each time. Now I understand that they are cracking down on seatbelts and are just doing their job, but I think this many times in that short of period is a little crazy. What I fear is that one time they are going to pull me over and give me a ticket for not having my seatbelt on, when I actually do. I drive a '96 Camaro, and this last cop said he couldn't see because my car was too low. Luckily he let me go just like the other three times.<br /><br />Anyone else been pulled over several times for their seatbelt in such a short period of time, or am I the only lucky one? :confused:

D

DJ

Re: Police and Seatbelts

I drive a '96 Camaro,
Feel fortunate that is all they are pulling you over for.<br /><br />That car is a "Target".

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here in Kentucky it is a secondary offense in which they can not pull you over for it, but can write you a ticket if after they stop you for something else if you are not wearing it.<br /><br />As to your question, I have not been pulled over now for quite a few years.

ZmOz

Captain

Sounds like the cops in your town are bored as they are here. The small town I live in is INFESTED with cops...with nothing better to do than harrass drivers. The littlest excuse they can find to pull you over they will. Then they can check to see that you have insurance, no warrants, etc. It's gotten so bad around here that I won't drive on the highway anymore, I go an extra 5 miles out of my way on the back roads to avoid all those assholes... :rolleyes:

JamesCoste

Chief Petty Officer

They are conspiring against you! They probably have a picture of your car on the locker room and are playing with your mind.<br /><br />Consider writing (with white shoe polish) the words, "I'm buckled down!" on your rear windshield for a month. Maybe that will help!<br />Also, put 4 "tick" marks under those words. Next time you get stopped, after the officer leaves, get out of your car and make the 5th "tick" mark.

NYMINUTE

Captain

They are doing their jobs, only a few enjoy the power, the majority of officers are simply doing as they were instructed, safety, serve and protect. We all tend to rag on them, until we need them. If you have it on, should be no problem. Last year in Indiana, at least our county, they gave away Pizza Hut freebies when you had them on. Pizza Hut sux, but the thought was good. Have a safe holiday guys.

dolluper

Captain

Or wear a gray haired wig They pull me over lots with the 58 not knowing it didn't come with seatbelts,even gone to court over it and won But I put seatbelts in 2 years ago just to save the hassle and I do wear it Now they pull me over for emissions it's just a like DJ said "TARGET "

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

yup live in a small 'village' of @ 6000 .. I think we have 6 full time dirty screws and two part timers that make Barney Fife look like a Harvard graduate..<br /><br />If there is someone WALKING home from either of the two taverns at night they'll pull over to the curb and harass 'em to get into the car for a ride home so the they can run a check on 'em.. and If you don't offer your information they'll try arresting you for resisting or public drunkeness.. <br /><br />oh yea .. seatbelts - secondary offense here too but they'll make up any BS to pull ya over. To me they're soap opera wanna bes.. trying to make drama out of nothing at all.<br /><br />sorry you guys in law inforcement here.. I don't trust anyone with a badge.

ehenry

Commander

I have relatives in law enforcement. I married in to their family. One is a deputy for the sherriffs dept and the other is a state trooper. They've both told me that they can pull you over for what ever they want, when ever they want. You dont have to be breaking any laws or doing anything wrong. Makes you wonder doesn't it?

Drowned Rat

Captain

I think unless you're really concentrating, it's rather difficult to drive very far without making numerous minor infractions. Going just a little too fast, not stopping completely at a stop sign, not signaling a turn or lane change, etc... For most of us it's probably pretty easy for an officer to find some "reason" to pull us over.

Link

Rear Admiral

First I am Pro Police and I'm on record here locally since I wrote in about this issue.<br /><br />When this came up in Washington state I wrote the local paper and news radio.<br /><br />This is how it went down here...<br />I wrote: (Not just me but many did) <br />You Libs want us to say it should be ok for the Police to pull us over if they dont "think" we are wearing a seat belt.<br /><br />Like most Americans Im all for giving law enforcement another tool to do the job we have asked them to do.<br /><br />But these are sugar coated words and playing on our since of duty..<br /><br />Next you will be giving out tickets for not wearing a seat belt..<br /><br />They Wrote:<br />The Libs replied.. (TV radio, newspapers) <br />OH NO... that would be going WAY TOO Far !<br />This just a tool to help Police.<br /><br />SO the Sheep people of Washington state bowed their heads and said ok.. pull me over if it helps the Police do their job.<br /><br />Two years later after the Sheep people had forgot all about this..<br />The Libs passed a law fining us $86.00 if we didnt have a seat belt on. I think it is now $101.00<br /><br />But worse.. they flaunt it in our face everyday.. <br /> Click it or TICKET signs Everywhere across the state. And TV and Radio adds..<br /><br />No one seems to remember that they said "That would be going WAY TOO FAR"<br /><br />Guess I should get back to work before I get worked up over something :D :D

Laddies

Banned

With rising crime rate it's to bad the police have nothing better to do with there time than to write seat belt tickets to keep the insurance lobby happy and fill the pubic koffers with ticket money. It's a disgrace to law enforcement and the people of this country--Bob

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

ahhhhh..it's all about the Benjamin's folks. A "C" note ticket here and there add up fast. Not to mention other incidental "violations" that can be discovered. More revenue. Wanna bet the Bar Assoc. endorses laws similar to the seat belt deal? More $$$ for the lawyers for those who choose to challenge a ticket.<br /><br />And I am well aware that the claim may be made that funds from tickets go to a worthy cause. Whatever. And also the claim that what I consider to be "nuisance" stops can and do apprehend those who have warrants, etc. Again, whatever.<br /><br />Further, I do have LEOs in my family circle, respect same greatly, as they are simply doing their job enforcing laws Legislators have created. Those who create the "nuisance" laws are the problem IMO.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Big push on in WA State now Link. They want to be your Daddy. PW would be proud of them. Don't forget to "CLICK IT OR TICKET" :p It's kinda like businesses who have constant sales. They want to increase their revenue; all under the guise of looking out for your best interests. <br /><br />Seriously, I DO NOT WEAR MY SEAT BELT!!!!! I'm tired of BIG DADDY Government. Didn't have to wear one when I started driving and I ain't gonna start now. If it is icey out, I'll put one on. The only time I was ever in an accident, I'da been dead if I'd had one on. My neck would have only had one place to go and that was over the top of the steering wheel. The roof header was crushed to 3" below the top of the steering wheel and my neck woulda been in between them. (Flipped over the front end of the car)

JGREGORY

Lieutenant

There is a big push on right now, the Feds have handed over to the state which has dolled out to the Communities Grant money for the "click it or ticket" program. We get around 7k for salaries and printed pamphlets to run the click it or ticket program, the way we do it is by setting up check points. <br /><br />This is one of laws that I think really stinks, It's a primary offense in Jersey, and the only thing it's doing is protecting you from yourself. It should be that if your not wearing it you have no right to sue. and have to pay for your medical cost not your insurance. All the seat belty law is, is a revenue maker.

brother chris

Commander

I have not been pulled over for seatbelt check in some time now. <br />But then again, I am in Canada and most cops here are nabbing people for grow-ops.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Since I am in the profession part time right now, and should be full time by the end of the year, I'll give my perspective. We are not concerned about seatbelts or expired registration or the million other things people think they are being harrassed about. We are concerned with the people who are wanted, have warrants, have drugs in their cars, drunk, that sort of thing. You have to have probable cause to pull someone over, you can't just do it if you feel like it. <br /><br />If you want to get the people who are committing the crimes, you have to get them in their car. Those people do not care about registering their car, having insurance, wearing their seatbelts, any of it. They give us probable cause to pull them over and contact them, and it goes from there. There is a vast amount of crimes that are solved from traffic stops, so just remember that when you are inconvenienced by being pulled over. If they (we) did not do this, more drunks would kill children, more wanted criminals would be free on the streets. Criminals drive, this is how we catch them.