Plastic Windshield Mounting???

I have a new center console and I need to mount the plastic windshield. My last attempt on the old console, I cracked the plastic at the screw holes. Anyone have any suggestions for a technique, tool I should be using? I looked thru archives and could not really find an answer.

drewpster

Commander
Re: Plastic Windshield Mounting???

What kind of plastic is it? (fiberglass, lexan, ect...) Also some pics of the console would help. I have found that it is necessary to use new sharp high quality bits and start with very small pilot holes.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have a new center console and I need to mount the plastic windshield. My last attempt on the old console, I cracked the plastic at the screw holes. Anyone have any suggestions for a technique, tool I should be using? I looked thru archives and could not really find an answer.

Carefully drill the mounting holes larger, like 3/8". Then pick up some clear plastic tube with 3/8 OD, cut a piece just slightly longer than the windshield is thick, then using washers larger than 3/8" mount the screws throught the plastic tube and tighten to squish the tube slightly. This will mount the windshield in soft plastic. It will have some give if bumped and prevent cracking at the mounting points, but not so loose as to be flopply.

i386

Captain

Mark, that's a really slick idea.:)

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

Also,

For drillingplexi, or lexan you really should be using a 'step drill' to prevent cracking during the drilling process. They do not have the aggresive angled cutting edge that a standard drill has (to pull themselves into metal, or wood), and will avoid chips/cracks in your masterpiece.

335327_lg.jpg

Good luck.