Plastic Tanks are All Junk

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
In the late 70s, early 80s, I took several Pressure Tanks in to the Dealer and traded them one for one on New Unpressurized Tanks.

flashback

Captain
I'm not surprised. Honda you say....LOL.

I have a collection of tanks. All are OMC. Both old and new style, going back as far as 1952. That oldie is still in use on my Lyman. The '70 tank is also in use, and it was OEM to the motor and it still looks like new, despite never having been restored.

I'll pay 5 bucks if I see one at a garage sale, but truthfully most have been retrieved from the curb on garbage day. View attachment 370931
Dang those look beautiful! I'd be reluctant to use them but in truth lack of use is probably why my honda tank rusted..

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
All you had to do was google it. Most tank manufacturers (even the cheap ones) have repair parts because tank longevity ain't all that good.

Seasense.com
download catalog
page 76
part # 52017P
Just googled it. Nothing, nada, zippo. Send like please.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a metal tank. So these don't rust out like the old metal gas cans for lawn mowers I take it? How come? Thicker?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just googled it. Nothing, nada, zippo. Send like please.
My goodness. Are you computer illiterate? I lead you by the hand and you still can't follow simple directions. Or, do you simply want everyone else to do things for you?

That's the web site for your crappy tank. The top of the page shows a link for the catalog download. Do it. Then I gave you the exact page and part number.

I simply wasted 5 minutes downloading a catalog for products that I would simply not buy myself.

You're welcome.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for a metal tank. So these don't rust out like the old metal gas cans for lawn mowers I take it? How come? Thicker?
Metal boat tanks rust out too. If you ever had a gas tank rust out on a lawn mower, it wasn't taken care of very well.

Nevertheless, pop the old boat beside the house without a cover all year long. The metal tank will crap out, but it will last longer than a sun exposed plastic one.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Dang those look beautiful! I'd be reluctant to use them but in truth lack of use is probably why my honda tank rusted..
Its not lack of use, its lack of care. Gas tanks stored indoors will last almost forever. At worst $5 worth of new gaskets may be all kit would need.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
My goodness. Are you computer illiterate? I lead you by the hand and you still can't follow simple directions. Or, do you simply want everyone else to do things for you?

That's the web site for your crappy tank. The top of the page shows a link for the catalog download. Do it. Then I gave you the exact page and part number.

I simply wasted 5 minutes downloading a catalog for products that I would simply not buy myself.

You're welcome.
I don't know who's wasting who's time here, but that part no. doesn't exist on the page specified in the download link you supplied. Since your time is so valuable please don't waste any more of it hurling insults my way. Anybody else know of an actual thread repair kit for my tank?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I don't know who's wasting who's time here, but that part no. doesn't exist on the page specified in the download link you supplied. Since your time is so valuable please don't waste any more of it hurling insults my way. Anybody else know of an actual thread repair kit for my tank?
Here's a cut and paste of the fuel tank parts on page 76 of Seachoice's Catalog #31, just like I said. I don't know how it would be hard to find.

Description Model
SecureStack Six Gallon Tank, EPA, Qty.1 50052017
SecureStack Tie Down Kit 50052023
Pick-Up Tube Assembly 52017P
Replacement Fuel Cap 52017CAP

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
A friend had a Kraut(I can say that, I am 1/4 German) Kadillac(Mercedes) and her husband had a Berlin Buick(BMW). For a bit they thought those were the greatest cars on the road. After a few years, the KK needed something in the Brake System. It was parked rather than fixed. As of the BB, after shelling out many thousands in parts, the owner was quite pleased when their kid, somehow managed to roll the car, and while the kid was uninjured, the car was written off.
I call those cars Euro-trash.
You're all quite correct. They are nice cars when they are new, but put some miles on them and you'll be replacing everything. Even if you do the work yourself it will be quite expensive and most parts are shoehorned into place. You'll also need all new tools because the nuts and bolts are internal and external torx.

I could list all the parts I replaced on my daughter's Mercedes, but the list would be too long to post.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Have metal tanks back from the 50's with no rust. My trick was to keep a little 2 stroke oil mixed with gas in each tank and slosh it around every so often. When the fuel begins to stink change it out for fresh. My old tanks are more collectors and conversation pieces but with new gaskets could be made to use. Just gotta remember to slosh the fuel around...when someone inquires about them is my reminder to slosh !!

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
There are many well made Plastic tanks, and some of the problems with leaky ones, is owner/operator induced. Some people are Ham Fisted when tightening Fittings, and threads in Polyethene are not very strong
I have a couple of 6 gal. I bought at wallyworld and there is a tag on the tank or in the box that cautions against overtightening when installing the outlet fitting. Funny, the first one I bought 5 or so years ago and it had the outlet fitting attached. The one I bought this year, same tank had none. To get another fitting to match the other was 20 bucks.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I have a couple of 6 gal. I bought at wallyworld and there is a tag on the tank or in the box that cautions against overtightening when installing the outlet fitting. Funny, the first one I bought 5 or so years ago and it had the outlet fitting attached. The one I bought this year, same tank had none. To get another fitting to match the other was 20 bucks.
Some people think 'Overtightening' is somewhere north of what you torque Wheel Nuts to. The old Adage, If enough is good, more is better, and too much, is just right, comes to mind

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Have metal tanks back from the 50's with no rust. My trick was to keep a little 2 stroke oil mixed with gas in each tank and slosh it around every so often. When the fuel begins to stink change it out for fresh. My old tanks are more collectors and conversation pieces but with new gaskets could be made to use. Just gotta remember to slosh the fuel around...when someone inquires about them is my reminder to slosh
If the gas stinks it's gotta be preeettttttyyyy old.

The OEM tank that came with my 9.5 Rude is now 52 years old. I do remember replacing the fuel line once, but it has lasted all these years without issue. Of course, it's a 2-stroke so oil is always in there regardless.

A few years ago the gauge stopped working. The cork float sank because the E10 dissolved the lacquer it was coated with. Thus, I had to pull the top cover. The recommendation was to replace the cork with a neoprene stopper and that did the trick.

I thought I would clean it at the same time, but other than a few small sand-like pebbles, the inside of the tank was clean and shiny.

One of the largest internet suppliers of obsolete boat parts is right down the street from me, so a new gasket was had for only a couplabucks.

For rusty tank bottoms, after draining the gas I put in a couple gallons of soapy water along with a couple handfuls of nuts and bolts. Then, shake and roll. After draining again stick in a hose nozzle and the high pressure will loosen any remaining corrosion. Finish with a bottle of isopropel alcohol to disperse and remove the water. A hair dryer removes all traces of alcohol.

airshot

Rear Admiral
For metal tanks that have a lot of rust, there is a coating that can be used to coat the inside of the tank (after a thorough cleaning) that coats and seals the tank inside!! Many motorcycle guys use it on older restorations. Old metal tanks can usually be restored with some time and effort, but most folks find a plastic replacement is cheaper and easier

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Old metal tanks can usually be restored with some time and effort, but most folks find a plastic replacement is cheaper and easier
Sometimes things are merely a labor of love.

If I were to take my Lyman to an Antique and Classic boat show with a plastic tank, the judges would die laughing and I would lose points big time.

I also like to restore antique marble top tables.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
OK, I see the part Jim is referring too. It is indeed on pg 76, but the pdf reader says that's page 80. So sorry for the confusion, BUT will that fit my tank? It looks like it fits the new tank in the picture. Guess I'll have to do some more googling to try to find a picture of that part. I appreciate the help.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Funny, but google is bringing up next to nothing for pick-up tube assembly seasense. Even less for the part no. I emailed seasense for clarification as to whether they have a repair kit for my tank. I'll update the thread when I hear back, but expectations are low. Probably not worth their while to make replacement parts for something that can be replaced inexpensively. I just don't really want an unvented tank. Since I seem to have solved the problem with a custom gasket, guess it's not really an issue anymore.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
A PDF of a catalog includes the front cover and introductory pages up to the index. Page 1 is the next page. That's why catalog pages and PDFs never agree.

All their tanks have pickups that look similar. It would make sense to have 1 common part, and that's why they only list it once. Nevertheless, you email is the way to go. If they have a part number, they make it. Where to buy it is what they need to tell you.

There has been a lot of confusion about the new EPA tanks. They have bad reports, probably because of not knowing how to use them. The new "EPA valve" is strictly to prevent liquid gas from backflowing into the engine when its not running and the tank pressurized from heat. It's a kali thing - can't spill gas.

If a tank is not vented it will simply implode when used. The gas cap should have a vent screw in the center. It has to be open for the engine to run. They recommend they be closed when not running. Pfffft. I leave mine open 100%. On a really hot day I can detect a faint gas smell. But my tanks neither implode or explode.