Plastic Tanks are All Junk

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Just wanted to add that my hot glue repair eventually failed. It was just fine until I figured out the previous owner had somehow got a bunch of crap in the tank and I had to drain it and clean it out. Funny thing was after flipping it upside down and blowing compressed air in through the filler opening that glue started getting soft. So much for being impervious to gas. Went to the hardware and found a brass reducer, but since the elbow doesn't have a standard taper on it, it would only grap 3 or 4 threads before getting tight. That's when the light bulb went off.

There was this super thick funky rubber washer under the elbow. Must have been nearly 1/4" thick. Took it out and cut a gasket out of some rubber/cork gasket material I had. Now it cinches up nice and tight because it's grabbing some fresh threads. So anyhow, don't use hot glue. At least not the clear stuff.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I'm not sure where this thread is located, but I'm guessing you can't get a washer and nut secured onto the fitting from the inside of the tank.

How about heating a nut up that matches the threads of the fitting and pressing it (melting it) into the plastic?

I've used "drop in" anchors that expand when you tighten them. I wonder if you can use something like that? They are made of metal and work real well.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Here's a couple pics of what seemed like a permanent repair. I still think if I hadn't got rough with the tank it may have hung in there. It was tight and didn't leak anyway.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank Repair 01.jpg
    Fuel Tank Repair 01.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Fuel Tank Repair 02.jpg
    Fuel Tank Repair 02.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Download the gas tank supplier's catalog and simply buy repair fittings. You need the elbow and gasket. I just did that very thing with my Tempo tank.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Never considered hot melt glue impervious to gasoline...there are sealants that are...I believe " goop" is supposed to resistant to gas...however I would want to be sure before trusting it on my fuel tank..!!!!

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
I didn't know they made repair kits for fuel tanks! I sure would have bought one if I did. How about a link? My tank is a Seasense. The only Goop I know of is for cleaning your hands. I do use Shoe Goo for many repairs, but no idea if it is resistant to fuel. Or if it would stick to the plastic. I did some online research before using the hot melt glue and many sources claimed it was resistant to fuel. Otherwise I'd have not used it. I didn't see any danger in trying it. Worse case scenario would be a little seepage.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I didn't know they made repair kits for fuel tanks! I sure would have bought one if I did. How about a link? My tank is a Seasense. The only Goop I know of is for cleaning your hands. I do use Shoe Goo for many repairs, but no idea if it is resistant to fuel. Or if it would stick to the plastic. I did some online research before using the hot melt glue and many sources claimed it was resistant to fuel. Otherwise I'd have not used it. I didn't see any danger in trying it. Worse case scenario would be a little seepage.
Shoe goo was the original name, it has been refered to as " Goop" adhesive and sealant for many years. There are many types such as marine, electrical, household etc, but I believe they are all the same product just different labels on the tube. I have used it below the waterline with sucess and around harsh chemicals. Might be worth a try on a fuel tank fitting, just test in a safe location

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
These tanks are made of high density polyethylene. As such, that material is very hard to glue. "Nothing" sticks to it because of the hard surface properties.

There are adhesives that "claim" to be able to do the job. Google HDPE glue and that should give you some direction.

Then you take your chances.

LaqueRatt

Chief Petty Officer
Honestly glue doesn't seem like a great option. At the time it just seemed like the best one. I was going to replace the tank until I started reading about how crappy the new EPA approved tanks are. I'd sure like to hear more about the repair kit though. Actually on this tank all I needed was a longer fitting. Mine only went down about half way into the bore. By using a thinner gasket I was able to get down a bit further and it got tight without "popping."

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
There are many well made Plastic tanks, and some of the problems with leaky ones, is owner/operator induced. Some people are Ham Fisted when tightening Fittings, and threads in Polyethene are not very strong
You're so right! I see people getting "rammy" all the time it frustrates me. I would stay away from Seasense, Attwood, any off brand of plastic portable tank with fittings that are "glued" in. . I've seen very few Scepter tanks have problems, I've seen a lot of "failed" attempted repairs on plastic tanks in general. Not sure anything will stick for long. The best thing imo about Scepter tanks is the availability of replacement parts for them either through OEMs or Scepter directly. They uses gaskets for cut outs that are replaceable, fuel pickups,senders,caps all available and sold separate.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank (3.2 Gal.) 12 L (US-EPA Complaint).pdf
    886.3 KB · Views: 5

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I'd sure like to hear more about the repair kit though.
All you had to do was google it. Most tank manufacturers (even the cheap ones) have repair parts because tank longevity ain't all that good.

Seasense.com
download catalog
page 76
part # 52017P

All you had to do was google it. Most tank manufacturers (even the cheap ones) have repair parts because tank longevity ain't all that good.

Seasense.com
download catalog
page 76
part # 52017P
I feel like that is part of their business model. Sell a piece of junk, and then reap the real dollars when owners have to buy replacement parts.

Don't get me started on my Karavan trailer's 4-pin / 8-wire light system. It works great until you need to replace anything, then break out the big dollars. Reminds me of German cars - great until you have to pay to fix or maintain anything, and then they are terrible.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
A friend had a Kraut(I can say that, I am 1/4 German) Kadillac(Mercedes) and her husband had a Berlin Buick(BMW). For a bit they thought those were the greatest cars on the road. After a few years, the KK needed something in the Brake System. It was parked rather than fixed. As of the BB, after shelling out many thousands in parts, the owner was quite pleased when their kid, somehow managed to roll the car, and while the kid was uninjured, the car was written off.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I feel like that is part of their business model. Sell a piece of junk, and then reap the real dollars when owners have to buy replacement parts.
I don't disagree with you. So, go to garage sales and buy an old metal tank for 10 bucks. XXXX sells the repair kits (new gaskets) for another 10 bucks, and a $3.95 can of rustoleum gives you a functionally brand new tank.

It's not like they weren't the first to think of it. At least they may be fixable. When was the last time you fixed a TV, lawn mower or appliance. The USA business community has put service people out of business.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Any and all Businessmen do what is their Interests, nobody elses'
Not "businessmen", per se'. There are still a few good ones left.

It's Corporations, i.e., CEOs and MBAs. In other words wall freiking street.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
My old 78 Honda had a metal tank, it rusted then leaked..
I'm not surprised. Honda you say....LOL.

I have a collection of tanks. All are OMC. Both old and new style, going back as far as 1952. That oldie is still in use on my Lyman. The '70 tank is also in use, and it was OEM to the motor and it still looks like new, despite never having been restored.

I'll pay 5 bucks if I see one at a garage sale, but truthfully most have been retrieved from the curb on garbage day. PA073529.JPG