planning first trip to thousand islands

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The closest aquarium and falls that I know of are in,........drumroll......, Niagara Falls. There is a falls on one of the finger lakes, maybe Seneca, I don't remember. You can look it up.

matt167

Captain
The closest aquarium and falls that I know of are in,........drumroll......, Niagara Falls. There is a falls on one of the finger lakes, maybe Seneca, I don't remember. You can look it up.
Oh we. Know the finger lakes well. We have been to all except Watkins glen gorge. We could split the stay between thousand islands and do the glen gorge and some wineries and stuff

briangcc

Commander
I'd go Ripley's in ON before I went to the Aquarium in the Falls NY.

LOTS of watefalls in NY...do a search. Just gonna be a bit of a hike from 1000 Islands as I'm not sure of any in that particular area. Perhaps in the Adriondaks which you're really close to as well??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
When you go to some of these places ( Niagara Falls ) you might as well throw your wallet on the main street and say ---" help yourself folks "---Young fellow at a food court said that a large pizza would cost me near $70 CA funds.-----I took big steps in rapid succession away from that counter.---- Found food at a more reasonable price on a side street away from tourist area..

matt167

Captain
we for sure won’t spend extra to be on a strip or whatever you would call it. Honestly thinking that $2k is all we really want to spend. So like a little over half of that would be on a decent hotel. $3k tops

Chief Petty Officer
Save money by staying at an Airbnb.

Eating at less touristy places.

Or just make more money before going on your trip.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
My girlfriend and I are considering going to the Thousand Islands this summer. Neither of us have been but it's something we both want to do. few days, up to a week.

What is the best way to do a first trip there? I have my little 14' Starcraft but think one or a couple of the Uncle Sam cruises might be better, considering we will want to visit Boldt Castle and other islands
When I drive there from our camp in the Adirondacks for my friends' fishing trips, we go out in smallish fishing boats. I only bring a kayak to go on the water occasionally. We stay in a private rental "cottage" (obtained by them, maybe airbnb).

We go near Alex Bay, Boldt Castle, etc. The boat museum in Clayton is very nice. Around that area, Wellesley Island, etc is good fishing, as noted take heed of channelmarkers, fishing in Canadian waters, etc. One friend that brought up a nice bass boat destroyed outdrive when going outside a channel marker. In the kayak, I stayed away from the channels.

Beautiful area. To me, a make-your-own-fun area, not a go-to-aquarium type area.st lawrence June 2020.jpg

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
I remember, a few years back a bunch of American Rafters ending up on the Canadian Shores of the St. Lawrence. There was no Harassment by Canadian Border Services, the Illegals were taken to Hospital for examination, fed, and taken to a US Border Crossing, Had it been reversed, I suspect Homeland Security would still have them in Custody.
as they should....and send 'em back to the country they came from....

matt167

Captain
Well, we settled on staying in Keeseville NY, right near Ausable Chasm and Alice falls. Deal breaker for my fiancé was no water falls. However I am dragging the little boat with us to Lake Champlain. We will make the trip down to Fort Ticonderoga as well

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well, we settled on staying in Keeseville NY, right near Ausable Chasm and Alice falls. Deal breaker for my fiancé was no water falls. However I am dragging the little boat with us to Lake Champlain. We will make the trip down to Fort Ticonderoga as well
Never been there, but I'm sure it will be a wonderful vacation. Lake Champlain is a big water, so be careful with your "little boat".

For your next vacation DO go to the 1000 Islands. I bet once you do, you'll go back again.

matt167

Captain
Never been there, but I'm sure it will be a wonderful vacation. Lake Champlain is a big water, so be careful with your "little boat".

For your next vacation DO go to the 1000 Islands. I bet once you do, you'll go back again.
I’m going to be careful. May or may not use it up there but it tows so light that it’s not going to hurt anything. But if it’s calm enough it’s getting launched.

I’ve got the last week of Aug off as well as my job shuts down for a week so I may be able to squeeze thousand island trip in then

matt167

Captain
I just thought about this. My fiancé hasn’t put a priority on fixing the big boat ( 18’ StarCraft ) but we do want to bring a boat.. there’s enough time to get the motor swapped so I might get approval