planning first trip to thousand islands

matt167

Captain
My girlfriend and I are considering going to the Thousand Islands this summer. Neither of us have been but it's something we both want to do. few days, up to a week.

What is the best way to do a first trip there? I have my little 14' Starcraft but think one or a couple of the Uncle Sam cruises might be better, considering we will want to visit Boldt Castle and other islands

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Wide open waters so be careful with a 14' boat.----Need the charts and a depth sounder too.

matt167

Captain
Wide open waters so be careful with a 14' boat.----Need the charts and a depth sounder too.
I have the depth sounder. But not the charts. My Fish finder has GPS. I didn't know exactly how 'big' the St Lawrence and Alaxandria bay waters were, but I know I won't put my little boat on Ontario. So I'll probably not take the boat.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Before kids we took a vacation to Alexandria Bay for a week. Not knowing what to expect, we put a 10 HP OB in the trunk, but left the boat home.

On our first day we took the Uncle Sam's Cruise. Later that day we went to the Thousand Islands Bait Shop (you gotta go there if nowhere else) and bought a chart.

The second day we rented a 14' Tinny from O'Brians and explored around. After being on the Cruise and looking a the chart it was a piece of cake. But, of course, I was a boater beforehand.

That was 1977.

The kids got born a few years later and then we all went back. Many many years we plied the islands with the 4 of us aboard the 14' Tinny in my signature. When the kids got old enough and bought boats of their own, we would caravan with 4 boats and 4 cars. Some years we took a jetski instead of the boat. Now we settle on our Whaler as the perfect venue for 2 senior citizens.

Some of our friends have negatively commented that we "drag" the kids up there every year. Its funny, though, after they both grew up they now go all by themselves with no input from us.

We simply love warm winter vacations in the Caribbean, but Summer isn't summer without Alex Bay.

We missed a few years due to Covid, parent's deaths and kids in diapers. Last year was our 32nd trip to what is simply the best placed ever. Second only to Maui.

Do take the Cruise, do get a chart and don't go without your boat. The Castle has a free marina so no need to pay Uncle Sam to get there. Pinehurst On The Saint Lawrence had wonderful cabins, or hotel rooms if you prefer, plus private docks and a launch ramp. The nicest family you'll ever meet. The fishing in their protected bay is awesome. If you want boater's excitement, be sure to traverse the "Rift". Sam can't get you there but your tinny will do just fine.

P7160079.JPG

matt167

Captain
Neat. I had assumed that 14' was too small for the area. But I do notice that a lot of the rentals are 14-16' center and side consoles

Perhaps I will drag it up there.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Neat. I had assumed that 14' was too small for the area. But I do notice that a lot of the rentals are 14-16' center and side consoles

Perhaps I will drag it up there.
You see kayaks out there.

Sundays are crowded, Saturdays aren't too bad. Weekdays the water is relatively calm and not many boats. The waterway is pretty long and generally the boats are spread out. We never felt uncomfortable even in our little tinny.

In contrast, I would never take her out in the Upper Niagara River on a weekend.

briangcc

Commander
Depends on the day and weather but a 14' boat can handle the St. Lawrence. I will second/third stopping at TI Bait to get your nav chart. I can't stress enough....use this as a guide but keep your eyes peeled for shoals as they can & will come up out of absolutely no where. Water levels fluctuate so something the chart says you clear, may or may not be the case.

Be prepared as it is an active shipping channel so there will be big ships with bigger wakes. Use common sense or hide behind an island until the ship passes and you will be OK.

I generally boated between A-Bay and Chippewa Bay. Goose Bay (Kring Point State Park) is nice and protected if you need to duck in somewhere.

I'd make plans to check out Lake of the Isles.

**Uncle Sams is good if you want to ride past something on the water OR stop at either Boldt or Singer castle.

**Other item to be aware of....the Canadian Border is not marked so be very well aware of where you are. I have heard that in years past that Canadian Border patrol can get a bit porky and have impounded boats that haven't declared properly.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Be prepared as it is an active shipping channel so there will be big ships with bigger wakes. Use common sense or hide behind an island until the ship passes and you will be OK.
If you stay within the Clayton to Alex bay area (the true Thousand Islands) the ships are on a speed limit and their wakes are small. Certainly less than a 30' cruiser at full tilt.
**Other item to be aware of....the Canadian Border is not marked so be very well aware of where you are. I have heard that in years past that Canadian Border patrol can get a bit porky and have impounded boats that haven't declared properly.
Canada DID get porky a few years ago and made you go thru a lot of hoops if you crossed the line. As I recall in about 2018 the backed off and once again allowed entry with no hassle. However, now with Covid restrictions, we personally won't cross the line. The last 2 Summers they would not allow entry at all.

There are speed limits in the more populated sections of the USA side. Generally 30 mph unless you are close to shore, then as usual the 5 mph rule holds. In Canada, if they allow entry this year, there are many places that have speed limits even beyond the shoreline. Marked in KM, they amount to about 6 mph. Don't speed there unless you want your boat confiscated.

Also, if you intend to fish, even if you spend the big bucks for a Canadian licence, don't fish there...

briangcc

Commander
I would also mention have all your safety gear on board. I have seen the US do safety checks on a number of boats throughout the years.

For Singer, they also have a dock where you can take your private boat. Get there early to get a prime spot on the inside of the dock - outside is facing the shipping channel and the tour boats.

We have a camp site booted at Jacques Cartier state park this coming summer....June-ish. I can update on conditions. Which reminds me, I need to check my map to make sure it covers this part of the river.

**Since you're trailering your boat, you may want to take a side trip to Black Lake (Hammond/Redwood area). About a 20 min drive from Abay. Very nice state launch and if the river is blowing, there's a good chance you can get some boat time in here instead.

matt167

Captain
I keep everything possible onboard. One life jacket per seat, throwable, fire extinguisher, flares, safety flag, anchor and bailing bucket, and new navigation lights and wiring I think that having a 14' boat exempts some things but I have it all onboard anyway. The VHF isn't installed yet but will be by the time we go. I suspect that being an older boat it may be a target, even though it has a brand new motor and has been restored

I've only ever heard good things about black lake. I never thought about it for the same trip, but it's right there

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I keep everything possible onboard. One life jacket per seat, throwable, fire extinguisher, flares, safety flag, anchor and bailing bucket, and new navigation lights and wiring I think that having a 14' boat exempts some things but I have it all onboard anyway. The VHF isn't installed yet but will be by the time we go. I suspect that being an older boat it may be a target, even though it has a brand new motor and has been restored

I've only ever heard good things about black lake. I never thought about it for the same trip, but it's right there
Targeted boats are the ones with teenagers in control, or if several bikini babes are on the bow. Also, boats that are obviously overloaded. Gofasts that are disobeying any law are given a pass because the officers certainly don't want to offend the rich guys.. Family boats being operated normally have no problem. Old classic restored boats are given a wave and a smile. Wave to them first and you'll be their friend.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Havin' lived in the area for years, my comment is,.....
If yer lookin' for the "Tourist Trap" experience, go to Abay,.....
If yer lookin' for a small town friendly experience, base outa Clayton,.....

If you do run outa Clayton, Grindstone Is. is the big island in front of Clayton, go upstream(west), turn north 'round the end of Grindstone, to the 3rd big bay you see on the island, 'n go in there,....
You'll be at Potter's Beach,..... an open beach that's huge, with a gradual bottom,.... a perfect place to spend a day, with, or without kids,.....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
All good suggestions. We try to go to Potter's Beach every year, but sometimes we can't. If there is a strong west wind, the water is too choppy there and it won't be accessible. In that case, you can go to the west shore of Eel Bay, just south of Canoe Point. It's another popular beach.

Regardless of your desires, you should really go to both ABay and Clayton. But note that launching facilities in either town aren't the greatest. Long walks to park the car. Also, no transient overnight dockage in either place.

If the wind picks up Clayton's water can get a bit rough. That'w why we usually stay half way in between, in the Narrows section.

If you are in to old boats, the Clayton Museum is a must see. We are members and go there every year.

briangcc

Commander
Got an Empire Pass? Cause that will get you into all state parks and their launches. Usually better than the town/city launches with closer parking. Couple launch/retrieves and it pays for itself.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I guess the OP needs to tell us how he plans to stay. Tent, RV, Motel, etc.?

matt167

Captain
Hotel most likely. Probably in Clayton as the rates are much cheaper. I have not booked anything yet since I don't know exactly when yet

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hotel most likely. Probably in Clayton as the rates are much cheaper. I have not booked anything yet since I don't know exactly when yet
OK, makes sense. But from what I know the rates are much cheaper elsewhere. But all I know are last year's rates.

As far as boating, do you plan to launch and retrieve daily, or do you want to launch once and keep the boat in the water until you leave?

matt167

Captain
When I looked for random dates in June, A bay hotel's hovered around $200 per night, but Clayton had hotels just as nice for $100 per night. a few mins drive is worth $100.

We have places of interest in both Clayton and A Bay. I will probably launch and retrieve as I don't know if every single day the boat will get used.