Pics of your classic Wellcraft

Panu

Cadet
Re: Pics of your classic Wellcraft

friends boat and im taking video. We all love old good wellcraft boats, do we ? ;)

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Event Horizon4.jpgEvent Horizon3.jpgEvent Horizon2.jpgmyboat.jpg1987 Monte Carlo 28 just love it, Event Horizon

Last edited:

ol belly up

Cadet

Here is a picture of my 1992 Wellcraft Eclipse 196 (I hope the picture loads - first attempt).

PB190475.jpg

Attachments

• PB190477.jpg
    PB190477.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0

tsnipes

Seaman

340.jpg338.jpg

Just picked up this 1975 16' Wellcraft for $400. I figured the trailer was worth that since it has been completely gone through. However, since spending a little time messing with the boat, I have come to appreciate its true potential. I plan to sort out some ignition issues and use it for a year or two before attacking the previous owners attempt at repairing the floor, which entailed putting some new plywood over the existing deck and screwing it down and putting some carpet over it.

The hull seems to be really solid, as does the transom, so it will work for a couple of seasons before a rebuild.

The main issue is that the engine is not firing. The previous owner has thrown all of the cheap parts at it, hoping something would fix it rather than approaching it in a methodical manner. He ended up buying a new boat and I found this one on CL about 5 miles from my house.

JKWheelin

Recruit

I bought this 1991 192 Sport in June. It has the Volvo/Penta AQ171 which runs pretty good. I replaced the port side seats with the same ones as on the starboard side today (no pics). The floor is soft in places so I'm going to get my nephew to fab up an aluminum floor with removeable panels.

wellcraft19

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good. I have the exact same boat, but what is likely a 1990 model, also with the Volvo Penta 171C motor/drive combo. Bought mine in 2005, has not been in the water for the past two summers (no time).

Do not have too much time hear and now, but this is Volvo's last "real" gasoline marine engine. Everything after this one is based on GM blocks. This was also a very advanced (at its time) engine with DOHC, electronic ignition, automatic timing adjustment, etc. It is a pretty efficient and "rev willing" (for a boat engine) little power plant.
Volvo (car) racers are many times after this marine version, as you can crank out up towards 500 hp (!) when turbo charged (it has larger displacement compared to the Volvo car turbos that were based on the same block). Flip-side is that you might find some marine parts from them as they discard everything they are not interested in.

BUT as it is also a rare breed, parts can be pretty pricey - if they even are available. The exhaust manifold is out of this world, ignition module is no longer availabe, etc, etc. The basic block (and seawater pump, heat-exchanger) is the same as VP 151, but this one has a different crank shaft, pistons, head and (of course) cams. The lift cylinders to the outdrive are common across many models, but as they are not serviceable, they are pricey to replace (many start to leak over time, and you will eventually ingest water through those leaks. The lift/tilt indicator instrument is also "no more", a few do pop by at eBay, but still $$$. You can rewire the entire system so no instrument is needed (and hence no indicator) but it seems pretty reliable. I think Volvo also might have a round replacement instrument, but that is even more $$$$.

I do have a decent collection of manuals, photos, and experiences compiled as I've been working this boat (did a lot of work on it 2005-2006). Feel free to reach out if interested. I will respond, but it might take a few days. If hearing nothing, ping me again (as I am working on the house and not boat this summer).

Oh, should also note that I've tried a number of different props. Turns out (for me) the best one seems to be three-blade VP (or Michigan Wheel) 14x19 (sort of "classic style"). I did try with a Solas Amita 4, 14.75x17, but that one is loosing grip easily. Everyone I talked to recommended going down in pitch when adding a 4th blade, but in this case, it was a bad move (that said, not really knowing how a 14.75x19 would have worked). With the VP 14x19, I can top out a bit north of 40 knots, too fast for anything but smooth water, but still not bad for a boat like this with a smallish engine.
Also did try with a three-blade VP 14x21 a few years ago. Seems to be a bit too steep, as engine barely was allowed to rev out, and if I gained anything in top speed compared to the 14x19, it was hot really noticeable (but have to dig up some old records to get into the gory details).

/ Per-Ola

Last edited:

dadurling

Cadet

New here. Just bought a 1980 V20 Fisherman, with a 1993 Evinrude 140. Let's see if the photo works!
image.jpg

Rsl413

Recruit

image.jpg all original 23. Ft Nova XL. 454 engine 358 hours. Loud and proud

Last edited:

77nova

Cadet
More pics, just installed newer 7.4 with bravo 3

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

new to me 1988 Coastal 250, twin Johnson 140. Motors only have 600 hours and sound great taching up from idle. Rebuilt carbs, replaced VRO/Fuel pumps, replace water pump. I'll be starting a new thread with more pictures as I plan on some upgrades/modifications.

20130916_134427.jpg

20130916_134451.jpg

20130916_134030.jpg

avalonandl

Recruit

Hi- New wellcraft owner picked up a 26 Scarab Sportster in Florida - twin Merc's 150's, 1991 model.

Boat is now in naples, Fl

Attachments

• scarab small.jpg
    scarab small.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 0

machine_nut

Cadet

Here are some pics of my boat. would like to see if anyone has seen one like it? Its a 1979 Nove which looks to have been built custom for sea fishing. Has a 350 I/O (5.7 Gi) 128 gal tank.Runs great on the big water.These picss are in Portsmouth N.H.
Baught her last year. And fixing up as I go.:)

Attachments

• SDC10124.jpg
    SDC10124.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC10116.jpg
    SDC10116.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC10125.jpg
    SDC10125.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

77nova

Cadet

Here are some pics of my boat. would like to see if anyone has seen one like it? Its a 1979 Nove which looks to have been built custom for sea fishing. Has a 350 I/O (5.7 Gi) 128 gal tank.Runs great on the big water.These picss are in Portsmouth N.H.
Baught her last year. And fixing up as I go.:)

Looks more like a 1975-1977, modified from original with the hard top. Wellcraftv20 Gallery :: 1975 Catalog I have the same style. Currently re-doing transom and stringers, great riding boat.

machine_nut

Cadet

It does look the 1975, the hull number on the back is worn quit a bit but the last digets are 79 from what I have found that is the year of manufacture. Do you have any pic of yours. I am slowly redoing the teak slats in it now,then to the swim platform and hatch cover slats. Sure rides nice paid $4000 for it put in new starter and off we went.

77nova

Cadet
Bravo 3 upgrade

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

machine_nut

Cadet

Looks nice,I think the people that had mine bought it with intentions to fix it up but found it to be more then they wanted.(young guy just married having baby) that probably had a little to do with it. They were not very careful when painting and doesn't look like they knew what masking tape was for. Paint on all the teak trim. Also stripped out the cuddy.
It is a 25 footer and solid. I think it may have been in storage for awhile. So far I put in new Garmin depth/fishfinder/chartploter. Plan to do some good fishing this summer.

Last edited:

grewvin1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Event Cabin.jpgevent9 2012.jpgEvent Topless1.jpg[
Event Cockpit.jpgEvent Front Deck.jpg1987 Wellcraft Monte Carlo 2800, twin Merc. 5.7L four blade props. Bought from guy looking to dump as it has lots of issues. He was not experienced as the issues were minor maintenance and things that should be looked after when they crop up. Tune up, plugs, timing on one Eng. was 12deg. ATDC don't know how it kept going. Gauges needed replaced and dash switches all done with original type and so on. When you are in a manufacturing company you know how to get the right stuff and now it's in like new condition. Replaced all the chrome deck fills with the best of Perko heavy chrome plated brass. Replaced the decals and recovered the seats. It's now a dream and was a blast to work on.

Last edited:

machine_nut

Cadet

Yes it is a very nice looking boat. Funny you mentioned manufacturing, I happen to own a small ,most of the time one man machine shop. It keeps me pretty busy and cuts into my boat work but I seem to get what is really needed done
to make time for fishing. I noticed you have dual controls, I have a single control for gas and shift and I hate it. Where I go there is alwanys a tide current and that makes it tricky getting to dock sometimes. I would rather have a dual like
yours and use the gas when I want instead of going in gear and giving her some at that same time. Sometimes all you need is for it be in gear at idel. Oh well can't have everything all at once I guess.Too bad.

I just picked up this 1979 Wellcraft 196 Sunhatch two days ago! I found it on Craigslist, it was stored under a tarp, now I have it in my dry storage boat locker and cant wait to get it cleaned up and running. It has been pretty hard to find very much information about this boat online so far. I put two new tires on the trailer, next I will buy a new battery. The steering cable is stuck, so I will try to get it free, but likely will be buying a replacement cable anyhow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 1