Parking boat in driveway

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am slightly venting but do have a question about parking boat in driveway.

So I will start off by saying I live in a HOA, so I know I have that I have that going against me. Last week I brought my boat home and parked in my driveway to give it a good cleaning, and per the rules I am allowed to park for 48 hours. Not more that 10 hours later someone complained and HOA preformed a drive by to confirm. I was talking to them and they told me that I am fine as long as it is moved within 48 hours, but did say I was put on notice due to it. I am all good with the HOA as i know they are just doing there job, not so good with the complainer. The strange part is when the HOA was done, they mentioned afterwards that if the boat is still hitched to my truck than it is not considered parked.

Has anybody heard of such a loop hole about if the boat is still hitched to the tow vehicle it is not considered parked? I am half tempted to leave the boat hitched in the driveway just to stick it to the complainer

briangcc

Commander
Well in my feable mind, if the trailer is hitched to the vehicle, its because it's going to be used soon. Who would really drag a boat to/from work on a daily basis unless you worked for a marina or something?

That's probably their line of thinking.

Pressing it though may lead to changes in the HOA as one could potentially argue that it was a loophole that needed closing. Just food for thought cause if they were PO'd for short time, they're on the lookout for more.

Mad Dog 2

Seaman Apprentice
Has anybody heard of such a loop hole about if the boat is still hitched to the tow vehicle it is not considered parked? I am half tempted to leave the boat hitched in the driveway just to stick it to the complainer
Keep that Ace in your hand to play at another time to your advantage. “that if the boat is still hitched to my truck than it is not considered parked.”
Friendly of the HOA to tell you that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In my HOA, a parked boat must be behind a fence not visible from the street. lots of interpretation there as well.

southkogs

Staff member
Humorously, for us we have a "required front yard that runs 50' from the curb. Stay with the math here ... from the edge of the curb, my driveway runs 60'(ish). The required front yard is 50' (you can only park cars and trucks on a paved driveway in that 50'). That leaves 10' before you get to the garage door. Boat and trailer are roughly 8.5' wide ...

... meaning, legally and by the HOA, technically I can park my boat sideways across my garage door :)

Cortes100

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For us too. Not HOA but city bylaw. Cannot leave/park holiday trailer, boat on the street by itself.. However if hooked up to the truck, it's legal and ok.

airshot

Rear Admiral
A small town not far from us, has rules on parking trailers in driveways. Only in back yard or in drive behind a fence. Now here is the real kicker...you can park a trailer in the street where legal parking is accepted ! Yep...the little two lane street is filled with camping trailers and boats, making it difficult to pass two cars. And the crime rate has gone high because these things care easy to break into sitting in the street. Gotta ask yourself WTF ?

Pmt133

Chief Petty Officer
For us too. Not HOA but city bylaw. Cannot leave/park holiday trailer, boat on the street by itself.. However if hooked up to the truck, it's legal and ok.
Found this out by me too. Had blocked the boat in the street years ago for bottom paint. Code enforcement was there within an hour. Said they got a call from someone (I know who it was). Explained the law and dad and I smiled and said got it. Stays hitched up ever since.

I will make it a point to never live in an HOA, city, anywhere that my neighbors can hear me talk quietly on my own property. Screw that noise.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I live in a solid middle class neighborhood. All gainfully employed or retired, and lots of professionals. Having said that, there are some trash that inherited their houses from wealthy grandparents, and we have to live with that. OF COURSE, no HOA or I would not have built my dream house here.

A few places had derelict cars in the back yard, or rotten boats alongside the house in 3 feet of grass. A few neighbors complained to the town board and a new law was enacted that said that you could not have more than ONE derelict vehicle. So, how did that work out? Like crap. It was never enforced. So much for that.

Personally, when I built my house I added a 5-car garage. Didn't need a useless family room, so the extra garage actually saved me money. When my "collection" exceeded 5, I built another 3-car in the backyard. Another cheap expense since the contractor was an old friend. Although I can house 8 vehicles under cover, at present I only have 7.

So, why is that my passion? First, I cherish my property and don't want it to look like a junk yard. Second, I take meticulous care of my cars and boats and i don't want them to sit out in the elements all year long.

Just my opinion.

Njsloans1

Recruit
Buy a $200 car and just keep the boat hitched to it everyday lol. If anyone complains, I would just say the HOA said its ok since its hitched to a car.

Scode68

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Same in my down and the town my Dad lives in.

Years ago I unhitched my boat in front of a friend's house in Minneapolis. We went to go haul some stuff and when I got back, my boat had a ticket. Same thing, I looked it up and discovered that it can't be unhitched on a city street. Hooked up to a tow vehicle and parked is okay.

Toyelectroman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well it's going to be a little bit of a pain but instead of using my truck I just will now use my smaller suv when hitched(wink wink parked) in my driveway.