Painting aluminum

MichaelP

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Painting aluminum

I has it BIG time. I'm sure others will agree.:facepalm:

Helpfull to me. Its something I can follow. Thanks BN

BN - What about timing?

Wood - Any suggestions on consolidating all these cleaners and thinners?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Have you Checked out lakelovers thread?? It turned out great and he did NOT go through this extended Paralysis by Analysis he just "Got er Dun!!!"

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Ya I have read over several threads. Reading over Interlux recommendations it seems it would be similiar to Rustoleum self etch, filler primer, topcoat with out all the extra $$$$$$$. I think as long as I sand to bright aluminum clean well and self etch within a few hours it will be fine. I have had a hard time locating Rusto self etch in gallons though. Any recommendation for that?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Nope, but I'd do what sshefer suggests fr prep then I'd use a LIGHT dusting of this..

SEM Self Etching Primer Amazon.Com

18941411_6153772.jpg

then I'd apply two coats of Rustoleums Bare Metal primer and then 2-3 Coats of Rustoleums Oil Base Premium with Acrylic Enamel hardener and I'd QUIT frettin about it and get my boat on the water.;) I HAVE been there and Done That and trust me It is JUST A BOAT!!!! You'll enjoy the WATER a whole lot MORE!!!!!!!

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

I know I'm WAY overthinking all of this. I do that all the time. I'm even worried something will go wrong since I took my cap off but I'm sure it's just fine. I appreciate all the excellent advice. Theres a great wealth of knowledge here and I understand everyone has their own way of doing things, all with excellent results.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Bottom line....

It's YOUR boat, and you should do it the way YOU want to do it. You are ABSOLUTELY correct when you say everyone has their way of doing things. Take ALL of our advice, use what YOU want, Throw out the rest, and then "Get er Dun!!!"
We'll be here watchin and waitin for "SPLASH DAY!!!!"

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

$82 for the SEM primer, I can live with that compared to $200+ for awlgrip or Interlux. Thanks again.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like SEM has 3 different self etch primers, green, black and grey. From my research I need the green. Is this correct?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Doesn't matter....

http://sem.ws/images/tech_files/SEP TDS.pdf

with SEM they're all the same. What color is your Finish Color going to be?? Read their pdf file especially the part about adhesion. A LIGHT COAT is all that's required. To Heavy and it can cause the finish coat to LIFT!!!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Your on the right path ..

Bare Alum = Alumiprep + Alodine + Primer all in the same day .. True this ..

Dont head spin :) this IS the the Old book way .. Tried and True .. anyone can say You dont need to prime .. but .. Well I have not Tried that so good luck to you if you want to "skip a step" :D .

YD.

Just my OP

Alright, I spoke with Interlux and this is what they recommend. Any feedback would be great.

Above the waterline:

1. Degrease the surface with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202

2. Sand/Grind/Blast the aluminum to a bright white metal

3. Remove all residue with a broom/vacuum/clean air line

4. Immediately (within 2 hours) apply 1 coat of InterProtect 2000E which has been thinned 15% by volume using 2316N

5. Apply 2 coats of Pre-Kote

a. Thin each coat up to 10% by volume using 333 when brushing/rolling or 10-15% by volume using 216 when spraying

b. Sand between coats with 220 grit paper

c. Remove all sanding residue with 333 or 216

6. Apply 2-3 coats of Brightside

a. Thin each coat up to 10% by volume using 333 when brushing/rolling or 10-15% by volume using 216 when spraying

b. Sand between coats with 320 grit paper

c. Remove all sanding residue with 333 or 216

Below the waterline:

1. Degrease the surface with Fiberglass Solvent Wash 202

2. Sand/Grind/Blast the aluminum to a bright white metal

3. Remove all residue with a broom/vacuum/clean air line

4. Immediately (within 2 hours) apply 1 coat of InterProtect 2000E which has been thinned 15% by volume using 2316N

5. Apply 3-4 coats of VC Performance Epoxy

a. Thin each coat up to 10% by volume using 2333N when brushing/rolling or 10-15% by volume using 2316N when spraying

LOL.. this guy knows little ..

I know I'm WAY overthinking all of this. I do that all the time. I'm even worried something will go wrong since I took my cap off but I'm sure it's just fine. I appreciate all the excellent advice. Theres a great wealth of knowledge here and I understand everyone has their own way of doing things, all with excellent results.

As long as you understand the up way from the fast way..

$82 for the SEM primer, I can live with that compared to $200+ for awlgrip or Interlux. Thanks again.

545 is not 200.00 .. you can buy the base and converter from Ibaots..at rate. .. I havent found the T0006 reducer yet.

Looks like SEM has 3 different self etch primers, green, black and grey. From my research I need the green. Is this correct?

Dont know about that..you should probably contact SEM directly ..

YD.

boatnut74

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks again Wood. Yacht Dr, I understand the best way would be the alumiprep and alodine but I needed to take a step back into reality. I read the msds on alumaprep and alodine and feel it's not worth the health risk. I appreciate all the advice everyone has given.

seakingbob

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone know how much acetone to mix with rustoleum to spray it with a spray gun and compressor

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Im thinking no more then 10% .. but Rusto has a Q&A page you might look into :) .

YD.