Out Of Control Employers (rant)

NYMINUTE

Captain
Re: Out Of Control Employers (rant)

In the privacy of ones home, smoking is a choice. My garage is my spot. Thank you for not breathing while I smoke.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

do smokers cost more for healthcare? yes<br />do they have the MOST health problems? no<br />overweight people have more health issues and<br />even worse than them is older workers 50-65yo.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Musky, you clearly are not understanding my point. I am not debating the work ethics of smokers. I am simply pointing out that some people view smokers and overweight people in a negative light. Your ability to outwork everyone is irrelevant if the person you are walking up to has already formed an opinion of you. Once that opinion is formed, you then have to show that you are indeed a better worker than you initially appear. You start out in the negative right of the bat. For a lot of jobs, none of this matters, however. For professions that involve customer service, it very much matters, and that is the fact whether you like it or not. You want to smoke, go for it, but you better except the fact that you will be viewed differently by some people. Otherwise your head is just in the sand. If someone walks up to my house with a smoke in their face, reeking of tobacco, and a sloppy gut hanging out, they have a lot of impressing to do, period. That is what you have to realize when you make a conscious choice to have a habit that more and more people find repulsive. Live with it or quit, because lord knows those who do not smoke have to live with it whether they like it or not.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Can I flip flop again (dont call me Kerry ;) )<br /><br />Another article thought the same medical cost reasons coupld be used to disciminate against motorcycle riders, or people who do things that are a bit more dangerous (boating!!!).<br /><br />That would be out of control. :eek: <br /><br />Ken

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I just love how people can climb on their high horse and proclaim smoking repulsive. I find people who wear too much cologne repulsive, and many people are alergic to it so its a health issue. How about peanuts, or people who eat a high fibre diet and have flatulance. Anyone not find farting repulsive. How about a 50 buck fine for anyone breaking wind? If you want to live in a community then you might have to put up with the habits of others.<br /><br />My mom is a smoker but I never thought of her as repulsive. Bill Clinton enjoyed a cigar now and again, is he repulsive? (Not the best example) The level of rhetoric regarding this topic is sad. If you don't like smoking I understand it, but if you do enjoy it, you should be allowed to indulge as long as it is legal. I am not advocating smoking everywhere, but outside in a park, yea- go for it. The uptight people who drove their SUV's to the park to enjoy the clean air but just can't stand cig smoke just don't have a clue.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

M.Y.: Every seen or read Soylent Green? :) <br /><br />
even worse than them is older workers 50-65yo.<br />
This is actually helpful for perspective in a couple ways, only one of which I'll address here.<br /><br />Naturally as we age we get more expensive to fix. Like an old boat, car or house. Should we then make aging illegal? (not picking on M.Y. here at all- just extending a broader point to its logical conclusion)<br /><br />If we sit back and gripe long enough government will "fix it" for us. Then nothing will be left but to wait in line for our execution after our final birthday at 35 years old??? Or 25? Like Soylent Green. <br /><br />So where do we draw the line at making people live a certain way? We do this every day, necessarily so. That is what laws do, for the benefit of society. But at some point our liberties get trampled when this goes too far. How far are you willing to allow this to go? Smoking makes no sense, so outlaw tobacco, right? What next, then? No more beer or wine with dinner? No problem for me, I do not drink. So why should I defend this if it does not affect me? Then maybe cars? (Guns will have gone before smoking if we allow this, though I doubt it will happen in my America!) Cars cause injury also, right? Then what else will we be told? What else will we be forced to comply with? Once it invades your home it will have been too far and too late. Government is already way too intrusive and self serving. And once big brother takes there is no giving back unless at the massive cost of a lot of blood in revolution. Because once we get this far democracy will be but a distant & fond memory. NOW is the time to alter our course if we want to avoid the irrevocable destruction of our freedoms. I will defend people's right to choose to smoke or drink (within reasonable limits), even though I have absolutely no use for those habits at all. This because I fear the steam roller of big government trying to be my conscience for me when government itself has no conscience. Sad thing is gov't has so little conscience because we have not bothered to make it. It hasn't been convenient for us. And so many of those who serve the public are swayed by greed & all other sorts of selfishness. Our own apathy is ultimately to blame. WAKE UP AMERICA!

D

DJ

Bearcat,<br /><br />Well said and spot on.

RetNav

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bearcat, that is sort of like "I did not protest because I was not jewish".

KRS

Banned

Originally posted by DJ:<br />
Hey, I have an idea (laced with heavy sarcasm).... let's make smokers pay a tax on their purchase, then the government can use that money to try and educate kids about the health risks associated with tobacco use!<br />
Already being done, to the tune of 300% of the price of the product.<br /><br />If the government was SERIOUS about banning smoking they would make it ILLEGAL. Not so, it's a tax "cash cow".
That's where the "heavy sarcasm" came in ;) <br /><br />The gov't forces tobacco companies to spend big $$$ on advertisements to tell people not to use their products. If the product was so bad, you'd think the gov't would send the tax money back and say "no thank you". :confused: :confused: