Out drive oil

sr79

Seaman
1999 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 - The outdrive has a small oil reservoir, my old Gen 1 did not and worked very well. My question is: is the oil reservoir necessary, and if not, what needs to be done to do away with the reservoir and just fill to the top oil plug? Thank you...

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Why would you want to reduce the potential oil reserve capacity,..??

Pluggin' it entails clampin' a 3/8" bolt in the end of the hose, 'n hopin' it don't spring a leak downstream somewhere,....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
1999 Mercruiser Alpha 1 Gen 2 - The outdrive has a small oil reservoir, my old Gen 1 did not and worked very well. My question is: is the oil reservoir necessary, and if not, what needs to be done to do away with the reservoir and just fill to the top oil plug? Thank you...
What is your problem with the reservoir?

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You do not have a lube dipstick, all you have is that reservoir. Finding the level in that low is one of the ways to identify an outdrive problem.

Scott06

Admiral
I also had an older gen one , issue you run into is if you have an input shaft leaking oil into the bellow you would never know And your upper will be running dry.
just fill it with the lube pump to the top plug, then put the plug in and keep pumping until the oil is seen in the reservoir . This way if you loose lube you see it.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I think the reservoir is great. At a glance you can check your oil level. Without it, you are blind. Your drive could run dry and you won't know until it's too late.

Plus, as stated, you have all that extra lube in there, just in case.

sr79

Seaman
I think the reservoir is great. At a glance you can check your oil level. Without it, you are blind. Your drive could run dry and you won't know until it's too late.

Plus, as stated, you have all that extra lube in there, just in case.
Thank you everyone, I will definitely take your advice and keep the oil reservoir.