Opinion and religion.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Oops,this might well be a poofer.<br />When I lived in Israel There were all these religious people around me who could explain everything that happened around them as being the fulfilment of a prophesy.The very same prophesies were used to explain completely different events.All of these prophesy fulfilments were without the "Revelations Of John" book for obvious reasons. Now being back in the USA,I see the same thing happening all around me,but in a different way.Here in these times very many mostly political and personal events are claimed to be the will of G-d.<br />Personally I feel that it borders on blasphemy to claim to understand the greater will and plans.<br />The first thing I was thaught about religion is that the very concept of G-d is completely beyond our comprehension and therefore any claims to understanding His greater plans would be presuming too much.Yet also on this board this presumption keeps on popping up.<br />My question is this: How can anyone justify himself claiming that this or that way is part of the Greater plan.How often is it a way of justifying oneself and how often is it used for ulterior purposes?<br />I put this question up here in response to a comment made by 12 footer.This can be a very civilized discussion if we want it to be so.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Opinion and religion.

I think A better way of putting it is regardless of out come God will have it his way in the end......Or possably He allows things to happen so as to teach us lessons.....kind of like we do to our children.Also I believe believers regardless of religion are anxious to see God work in a way we understand so sometimes they look at a situation and say its Gods will. But Rolmops think on this, it could very well be Gods intentions and some of them could be right.I personally have seen God work in a very real way and believe that he is as active today as he was at anytime in history. Are some prophisies s/p? fufilled? yes, I believe they are.I also believe they all will be eventully.I have seen people rely to much on precieved prophits, but the bible warns against false prophits so Rolmops many people are also decieved. Oh ya question here .....why do some people write God as G-d on boards? just curious.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I write it in this way because according to my religious tradition it is forbidden to utter or write His name unless it is in prayer.

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

I see..........I always beleived God is a name we as people gave him. Would I be out of line to ask if that is a Jewish belief?

spratt

Lieutenant

I don't believe God casres if we drive a Hummer or a Volkswagen. However, if we ask God to help us decide, He can and will lead us to the best deal, and it may be a Ford or a Chevy.<br /><br />I don't believe God minds if we get up and have Cheerios or oatmeal for breakfast. But, if we ask Him to help us, it may be that He would provide a much healthier breakfast food.<br /><br />God's will is certainly not for us mere mortals to understand. However, our prayer should be that whatever we do, let it be part of His will for our life. Oh, we can have our feelings about things, like who should be president, or who we should marry. Those things are important! The important thign is to pray, and let God lead each of us in our daily lives and to help us understand what His will is for each of us. In the very end, it will not matter who the president was, or who the terrorists were, or which country was the most mighty in war...only what YOU and I have done for Him will matter, for when each of us stand before God to receive our just rewwards for our OWN life actions, we want to be sure we have done all we can for Him!!!<br /><br /> Even those who THINK they are agnostic or atheist will bend their knee and proclaim that Jesus Christ is Lord.<br /><br />Yes, too many people DO use that statement *God's Will* too liberally. God will have His way, but you and I do not have to be a part of it. We canc hoose whether we want to serve God or not. Many have done just that since the beginning of time. This is God's Will for all us: That everyone come to the knowledge of His Truth and be saved.<br /><br />It is not up to us to determine the will of God for the worls. Just that we do our part to put God first in everything. It helps to ask God's advice before buying a new car, for He knows whether we will have a job in 6 months; maybe He will stop it before we close that deal!! But we haver to listen when and if He says NO...ever get that gut feeling that what you are doing should not be done? But you do it anyway nad bring hardship into the family budget?<br /><br />I do not claim to have the final answer, but I do nknow that when the finality of our life is near, we need to be sure that our life was lived in such a manner that it did not bring shame and reproach to our Saviour. He loved us enough to die for our sins, and He took stripes upon His back for our healings. The least we can do is to live for Him and trust Him. Let HIM take care of the world!!! He will anyway.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Yes Mike,it sure is a jewish tradition and I keep it up out of respect of those who came before me.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> I write it in this way because according to my religious tradition it is forbidden to utter or write His name unless it is in prayer.
Actually, God is not a name at all...God is a title for what He is...in teh Old Testament, His name was varied, such as Jehovah, Jehovah, Nissi, so on...Prophecy gave us this: His name will be called Jesus, for He will save people from their Sins.<br /><br />My titles are Father, Son, and LAN Engineer...however, non eof theose have the power to even cash a check!! I must actually sign my NAME, in order to cash a check. Remember, devils were cast out in Jesus name, not by saying God!!! Sins are remitted by being baptized in Jesus' name...Acts 2:38...gotta have that NAME!!!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I personnaly shy away from organized religion anymore. my sister bekieves that all who do not belive like her are condemed. me, I just cant belive in a god that would condem billions of people over a doctrine. I mean what about all the people that lived in various parts of the globe for the past centuries? there was no way an eskimo or african or american indian could have known about the birth of christ. were all those condemed ?<br /> organized religion is a for profit way to control the masses

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Touch this.......................<br />.<br />.<br />..<br />.<br />..<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />.<br />..<br />.<br />.<br />Not with a ten foot pole. :) <br /><br />Good luck with this one guys. ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

My question is this: How can anyone justify himself claiming that this or that way is part of the Greater plan.How often is it a way of justifying oneself and how often is it used for ulterior purposes?<br />I put this question up here in response to a comment made by 12 footer.This can be a very civilized discussion if we want it to be so.
<br /><br /><br />What comment did I make about God (who is G-D anyway), that has your so confused, rolmops?<br />I look forward to clarifying it for you.<br /><br /><br />"This way or that way?" You stated that yourself, and you do not know? truely? Well, just to inform you, God gave us a free will, and we can serve the lord,or not. We have the choice of how to live. It's not rocket science. Simply put, It's God's law. And it is not evil.<br /><br />BTW, you can actually type-out his name, or his title now.Iboats fixed the auto-censor a couple years ago, to allow "God" as long as it isn't part of disgracing the name, or that word.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

12footer this thread is in response to a comment of yours in the thread "Why terrorists commit suicide"<br />Not to change the subject,but a few days ago in your thread about oil being spilled you mentioned the brilliant lawyer lady.Now you are talking about forbidden fruits that create many jams.What's up with that??

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Personally I feel that it borders on blasphemy to claim to understand the greater will and plans.<br />The first thing I was thaught about religion is that the very concept of G-d is completely beyond our comprehension and therefore any claims to understanding His greater plans would be presuming too much.
Pretty close to my feeling on the subject....<br /><br />The questions..<br />" How can anyone justify himself claiming that this or that way is part of the Greater plan." I don't know.. IMHO, Man should have pity on those who make such claims of knowing the greater plan, for they are truly sick individuals... :( (but.. Clapton did tell me to play a Fender strat, soooooo? :D j/k)<br /><br /><br />"How often is it a way of justifying oneself".. IMO, unfortunately, about 99.99999% of the time... :( <br /><br />"and how often is it used for ulterior purposes?" again, IMO, about 99.99999% of the time...<br /> :(

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

One's relationship with God is a very personal thing. Sure, there are times when I just want to climb the highest building in town and shout as loud as I can of my Love for God. But when it gets right down to the human aspect of "FAITH", it's personal to everyone.<br />Sure, ALL churches are built and attended by those who gather to worship thier lord in like-mind. Most of these people have very simular beliefs in what God is alll about, and what thier place in God's grand plan they hold.<br />FAITH is the cornerstone of any congregation, and each member of that congregation.<br />Satan rules this Earth, and his influences are seen everywhere. It's up to you to seek God and get his guidance and strength, or you are a "goner". <br />If you are perplexed by the subject, seek him out. Go to person after person, as you have done here, to get the answers you need or seek. Go to a church near you,and feel free to ask those around you what it's all about.<br />Dont give up until your heart tells you the search is over. And it cannot be over without God's word, the bible to guide you and back-up what some man or men tell you.<br />It's not about you. It's not about any of us. It's about God.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by rolmops:<br /> 12footer this thread is in response to a comment of yours in the thread "Why terrorists commit suicide"<br />Not to change the subject,but a few days ago in your thread about oil being spilled you mentioned the brilliant lawyer lady.Now you are talking about forbidden fruits that create many jams.What's up with that??
What does one have to do with the other? I still do not understand. The post about just dumping oil anywhere you want has a date stamp on it. You will note that this post was penned over a year ago. I'll have to read it again just to try to ascertain what Lawyer ladies have to do forbidden fruits.<br />That sig by the way, ("Forbiddenc fruits create many jams"), is from a site called MARQUEES . That site is a twisted place where the sysop is one confused soul. But he presents some good quotes, that I choose to use for what they were originally intended for, as opposed to the bent use of the submitter. It is catchy quotes found on church billoards.You know, the signs that have the glass case where they can can the message?<br />In a few days, I'll probably change it to something else----or not. It's my sig, and I'll do what I want with it (as long as it's clean).

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

12Footer... I don't mean to stir the pot or get personal, but I must ask... Why does one need faith in God to do the right things, i.e. guidance and strength??? I know too many people who contradict that theory...<br /><br />Perhaps the "goners" you speak of are the ones who need to seek out Gods guidance??? :confused:

mikeandronda

Lieutenant Commander

Ok snapper, you dont have to be a Christian to be a good person but According to the holy Bible you have to be Christian to go to heaven. I know to a non-Christian that sounds harsh,judgemental. But let me try and explain it this way. Nobody can enter heaven if they have sin in them, Adam and eve chose to allow sin to enter into the human race so we are born with it. The wage of sin is death, which is seperation from God.Payment for sin is we can not go to heaven, The consiquence we all face is seperation from God. God can not bare to gaze upon sin. So how do we atone for our sin? We can not but the good news is God knew the enemy was coming to trap us into sin so he sent a savior for us and Jesus has gone before God and accepted our punishment for us. Its like being gui,lty of murder.....no doubt about it your guilty. You stand before the judge(God) and he tells you your sentence for murder is death. But your lawyer "Jesus" Tells the judge he will accept your punishment and all you have to do is take that gift just accept that gift.You dont have to accept that gift, you can face your punishment your self if you want to God has given us free will becuase of his love for you and I and would never force his children to worship him. Thats what it is to become a Christian that is why it is the only way to heaven is. The only way into heaven is through Christ. I hope I have not offended you by seaming to preach just wished to explain the good person not going to heaven. <br /><br />P.S. Also many people who I or you may not consider good people will be in heaven, we can never be good enough people to go to heaven only Christ was.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, that's what I meant by "goners", I mean goners in God's kingdom.<br />Of course, you're right. Folks CAN live a complete life, happy, good and content,in that they harmed nobody, had talents that propelled them, families who loved and trusted them. But in the end, what was it? 80years (or whatever God gave them)of life's experiances, now gone, if not useless.Surely, there was a purpose.<br /><br />There are EARTHLY influences from every direction on how we live. And there are the SPIRITUAL influences. To name a personal one, was one night out on my boat by myself in spring of 03---calm seas, clear skies, and "Second Wind" by Daryll Worely playing on the radio. As I kicked-back and soaked-in God's awesome creations all around me, I got a bite...The tears in my eyes made me not want to play it, much less, set the hook. I just sat out there and thanked God. Also, there was the whole ordeal of the Sculpture in the Alabama Rotunda that was on my mind that night.The next day, a Sunday in April 2003, I went to church with my wife for the first time. And I'll go further in-depth about what led-up to that, and the changes it has mnade in my life, if you want to know. But it might be a long,dull read to another person. <br /> But I'm somewhat new to walking with God.. And we all walk many paths in life. I want to stay the course, and want to spread the good news as I go. I thank you for the invitation to do so, and hope everyone finds that wonderfull path.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

rolmops, is this the post you refer to in that other thread?<br />(originally posted by me)<br /><br />"Yea, kinda ironic...But honest injun,she was! I allmost risked a contempt chrage to get her name. If I'm ever called to stand tall before the man, I want HER to represent me.<br />She was ruthless and brilliant. She was like someone from that TV show,"Law and Order".<br />She got "dog-boy" off scott-free, and didn't break a sweat. It took the court about an hour on that case..Ours was over in 10 minutes!!<br />Makes me sick, and somewhat dissatisfied with my own job performance! Oh well, the reds are biting...I'm outta here"

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

M&R.. No offense taken... Thank you for your answer.. :) <br /><br />12Footer.. The purpose... Everything and every experience has a purpose.. Big and little... Right now, my big purpose is to watch over my folks.... Tomorrow my little purpose is to get X's job done..<br /><br />Maybe those things are the purpose? To me, it's just too big of a question.. If i tried to find the answers, i'd prolly go insane.. There's just too many questions... <br /><br />As for Heaven, prolly won't see me there...<br /><br />I'm out.. Peace... :cool: Gentlemen... Have a pleasant evening... :)