? on seperating hull on 172 fisherman

mausili

Seaman
I have a 88 172 sportcraft fisherman. my question is will the floor somehow be adhered to the stringers. i can stick my hand in the access ports and it feels like there is some glass or maybe a thick coat of resin going from the upper shell to the hull down towards the floor. will that just pull apart or will i be messing up.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Re: ? on seperating hull on 172 fisherman

Is your deck soft/rotten? Do you have any pictures of your boat you can post?

Are you wanting to replace your deck?

mausili

Seaman

Is your deck soft/rotten? Do you have any pictures of your boat you can post?

Are you wanting to replace your deck?

very stern heavy i have a 1.6l seadrive on it and upper relieve ports are in the water when motor is trimmed all the way down, also with just me in the stern of boat water comes in self bailing holes. when i installed smart tabs i got about a quart of water out of each side. so i am wanting to pull foam out and replace. sorry no pic i had one on my other phone and havent taken one with my new one but will tomarrow.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I understand now.

You'll need to cut the decking with a skill saw with the blade set just deep enough to completely penetrate the decking. The decking will be screwed, glued, or screwed and glued to the stringers... but if things are as wet as I think they are it souldn't be much trouble to lift the decking off the stringers. If the decking proves to be stubborn you can cut it into smaller pieces in place and remove it easier.

mausili

Seaman

the decking and sides are one peice it should all lift off together.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

You'll have to pull the cap then. Remove the rubber trim from your rub rail and remove the screws or dril out the rivets holding the cap to the hull, then lift the cap off the hull... it'll probably be heavy and your decking won't be attached to the stringers.

This is the problem with trying to help someone without pics of their boat, posting pics makes it easier and will get you the best help.

mausili

Seaman

I do have a picture it's only of the outside though but search mausili and click on the motor position. I will also get more pics today.