OMC vs Volvo drives

Laneman25

Seaman
Hey Folks, I'm getting back into boating and could use some help. I had a 19 foot boat back in the 90's. Back then everyone said to avoid OMC and stick with either Volvo or Mercruiser. Now that Volvo has merged with OMC I am leary of Volvo. Most of the boats I am looking at are 1990 to 2000 Volvo or Merc drives. Are Volvo's up to around 2000 still Volvo's or are they OMC?

Scott06

Admiral
Modern Volvo sx drives are robust and durable. Most of what you are metioning was a hangover of issues OMC had with the introduction of the cobra outdrive. Although the drives look similar to the omc cobra Volvo heavily modified them post acquisition. Have several neighbors at the lake with VP SX drives no issues.

Biggest thing I would consider is availability of mechanic support. Depending on where u live there may not be as much VP mechanics and parts around

Horigan

Senior Chief Petty Officer
OMC stopped around 1996, though the joint venture drives with Volvo started around 1994, which are good drives.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey Folks, I'm getting back into boating and could use some help. I had a 19 foot boat back in the 90's. Back then everyone said to avoid OMC and stick with either Volvo or Mercruiser. Now that Volvo has merged with OMC I am leary of Volvo. Most of the boats I am looking at are 1990 to 2000 Volvo or Merc drives. Are Volvo's up to around 2000 still Volvo's or are they OMC?
Volvo didn't merge. They did a joint venture, which ended when OMC went out of business.

In the mid to late 90s, OMC drives were mostly Volvo drives.

Avoid anything Ford powered from the 90s

I myself would recommend boats from 2010 or later

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
No need to fear Volvo drives. I`ve had two and both were very well built and very durable. Obviously maintenance is a must on any drive.

Laneman25

Seaman
Volvo didn't merge. They did a joint venture, which ended when OMC went out of business.

In the mid to late 90s, OMC drives were mostly Volvo drives.

Avoid anything Ford powered from the 90s

I myself would recommend boats from 2010 or later
I'm curious why you say to avoid 90's Ford motors. I have had 3 Ford V8's- two were in trucks from the 90's, one was my 70's Caravelle boat with Ford 302. My 92 F150 ran great beyond 220k miles. My current 99F150 has 310 k miles with no issues. Was it just the marine engines that had troubles and if so, what was the problem? My observation as I look at boats is every engine that has oil in the water or that needed a rebuild is a Chevy

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I'm curious why you say to avoid 90's Ford motors. I have had 3 Ford V8's- two were in trucks from the 90's, one was my 70's Caravelle boat with Ford 302. My 92 F150 ran great beyond 220k miles. My current 99F150 has 310 k miles with no issues. Was it just the marine engines that had troubles and if so, what was the problem? My observation as I look at boats is every engine that has oil in the water or that needed a rebuild is a Chevy
Because the EFI bits for Ford Marine motors are NLA. The marine specific bits are NLA. That means no support

Do not confuse lack of support from NLA parts from owner abuse and improper winterization leading to water in oil

Plus over 90% of the marine I/O motors in operation today are GM based. That is why you only hear of GM motors being killed by their owners

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Never fear a Volvo outdrive, extremely durable and IMO far easier to repair if the need arises

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Find out what your local mechanics like to work on and buy that.
Here you can get service on both Volvo & Merc but not sure about the rest of the country.
OMCs no one wants to work on. So I have to be my own mechanic as far as I can take it. I have a spare drive I am going to get rebuilt, I have a complete transom assembly, spare trim rams and many spare parts. If you don't want a garage full of old stuff like me, get a later model boat where all the parts are available but NOT WITH CAT CONVERTER exhaust. More trouble with O2 sensor codes, and $$$$$$ to replace/repair.