OMC,can't be all bad!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC,can't be all bad!

As long as you maintain your driver properly, you can get years of service out of it. There are some quirks with the Cobra that you have be aware of(Shift cable failures as an example). I think the main thing is that at some point, parts are going to be tougher to get for it and service will also be harder to get for it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Re: OMC,can't be all bad!

Don't feel so bad about getting a Cobra for your first boat...I did the same thing and it's worked out fine for me...once I had it gone through by a good OMC mechanic it's been trouble free and only needed normal maintenance for the past 5 seasons...moored in salt water...which is tough on any I/O boat...and as long as I can get the parts I need and my mechanic can help out with the jobs I can't do I'm not changing anything....if I need a rebuilt drive and he can do it for me I'd go that way before doing an conversion....the conversions make sense when you can no longer get the needed parts or there are no good OMC techs where you live...

So just maintain it well and enjoy...I've had a lot less trouble with the Cobra than some friends with Mercs and Volvos because it's always been maintained right....