OMC,can't be all bad!

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: OMC,can't be all bad!

The only reason to consider an OMC Cobra powered boat is that now SEI has a kit to convert it to an Alpha One drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The only reason to consider an OMC Cobra powered boat is that now SEI has a kit to convert it to an Alpha One drive.
Unless its a King Cobra drive with cone clutches...and especially if its a 460.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Why would you even do that....with all the Merc boats out there...we don't know yet the long term reliability of SEI conversion....or what problems can crop up...I'd consider it...but only because I already have this Cobra powered boat...and I'd only do it...when I can read reports of how well it actually performs...
I don't tell anyone to buy OMC at this point but mine has been good to me...it's needed normal maintenance but that's all....would I buy another...well...for myself..maybe...esp if I had a line on a good used Volvo SX..I'd do that conversion...if the price was right on the drive...and the price of the boat was like 1/2 market value because of the OMC issue...and it had no rot...but that's just me..I know the Volvo conversion works...and it's been around a long time...

PS I just took mine off for the winter and to check the bellows...all good in there..no water in the bellows...no water in the gear oil..hoping to get a many seasons out of this one as I can...it's on # 22 now.....

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thats true but what do we do about couplers and exhaust manifolds? I see the SEI conversion as just a patch to extend the playtime of the hull. I would have a real hard time handing over my cash to Frankenstein my drive.

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

I own an OMC engine from the Volvo joint venture days (1994). So I also have an SX DP setup on the leg. Parts are hard to come by for the engine, and when I do they are expensive. The computer for the EFI is NLA. You can be fooled when you go to places like doug russell and find a part number. That doesn't mean they can GET it. Manifolds are OUTRAGEOUS, about twice what OEM Volvo or Merc cost. THESE ARE WEARABLE ITEMS YOU WILL REPLACE

There is nothing wrong with an OMC from an engineering or reliability POV. I'd put them up against a Merc any day. Volvo probably not ;) As has been stated, it's more about how well something is maintained that matters though. But when things go wrong you need access to support, service and parts. All of which are becoming more scarce over time for OMC.

If you already have an OMC there is no reason to dump it. I don't think anyone is calling them junk. They are NOT lemons. BUT why in the world would you buy INTO an OMC when there are other boats priced just as well with similar power that are still supported by mfgr's?

Even if there IS a difference in price becasue of the brand of power plant (which I don't believe is the case in boats old enough to have pure OMC's), it will be a few hundred, not thousands. That few hundred will be MORE than recouped on your first repair.

As the saying goes, pennywise and pound foolish.. People are not saying to run becasue they are BAD. They are trying to save you time and money by avoiding buying an obsolete unsupported product, especially when you ca buy one that IS supported for the same money.

Just another opinion, coming from experience. Probably not worth anything to someone who has their kind made up. Been there done that. I learned

QC

Supreme Mariner

This point has been loosely made, but I thought it worth emphasizing: The main reason to run from all OMCs is that you can. There are deals to be had on Mercs and Volvos too. If the choice was that there is only one good boat that meets all of my requirements, it has been well maintained and there are good records and there is not one other example within my geographical constraints that is Merc or Volvo powered then go for it. However, if there are options, even at a premium, then it is just plain smart to go where there is more servicing flexibility, availability and experience.

All of us know that many people subconsciously desire to hear only the answer they want to hear. On this topic. No one with experience will ever say "Go with the OMC, it doesn't matter, you will be just as happy in the long run". That would be a disservice. Same with a 470 . . . Can a good one of either give years of service and make a boat go? Of course. But the question is "should I buy this boat?", and the responsible and informed answer is "No, continue your search as there will be a Merc or Volvo (or non-470) powered example out there soon, and in the long run it is a much better decision to be patient."

Oh, BTW, I loved my '84 3.0 Stringer . . . ;)

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I called SEI this afternoon because I have a alpha one drive in like new condition. They were very helpful but, The conversion kit will only accept a Gen 2 drive. So unless I want to spring another $1200 for a new drive,I quess thats not going to work. Thats more than I paid for the whole running boat. You just can't win when it comes to these floating holes in the water!

TilliamWe

Banned

I called SEI this afternoon because I have a alpha one drive in like new condition. They were very helpful but, The conversion kit will only accept a Gen 2 drive...

Well, that sucks for you, but it's a good idea on their part.

I never said that converting a Cobra to an Alpha was a "great idea" I said it's the only way you could justify buying a Cobra.

Summer Fun

Banned

My 2 Cobra outdrives have NEVER been apart in 22yrs for repairs :). Its all about how you take care of them. Yes i can still buy all the parts for them if needed. :D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My 2 Cobra outdrives have NEVER been apart in 22yrs for repairs :). Its all about how you take care of them. Yes i can still buy all the parts for them if needed. :D

When you buy a boat that hasn't been taken care of, it soon becomes apparent.
It's also a know fact that every seller has taken perfect care of his boat :rolleyes:........... Yeah right. :eek: :eek:

mcleaves

Chief Petty Officer

Well if you can warranty it for him that'd be great. The rest of us are realists. You situation is highly unusual. Unless you can show all that care and feeding of the drive you just assume problems. Anyone who buys a used boat and doesn't prepare for them is foolish at best.

So given the notion the things are going going to fail, buying an OMC is NOT a good plan, especially when there are better options for the same price

zbnutcase

Commander

Yes they are that bad, and their outboards are rubbish too. Their sterndrives put a LOT of food on my table back in the day....'nutcase

Yes they are that bad, and their outboards are rubbish too. Their sterndrives put a LOT of food on my table back in the day....'nutcase
And we appreciate you putting food back on ours by helping us "fools" zb! Your knowledge has helped me more than once.

Now, I will put my 21 foot Searay with a Stringer 800 stern drive in a turning contest with any Merc or Volvo driven 21 foot Searay hull. My bet is that I can turn inside the radius of anyone not using and OMC. Hate the ball gear if you must, but respect it's strengths as well.

Don S

There is a lot more to outdrives than just turning and tilting. If those stringers were so great, why did OMC stop building them in 85 and move to the Cobra.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

And we appreciate you putting food back on ours by helping us "fools" zb! Your knowledge has helped me more than once.

Now, I will put my 21 foot Searay with a Stringer 800 stern drive in a turning contest with any Merc or Volvo driven 21 foot Searay hull. My bet is that I can turn inside the radius of anyone not using and OMC. Hate the ball gear if you must, but respect it's strengths as well.

Oh..I hear a thundering herd approaching.....I'm staying off the street on this one..lol

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yes, thats the one good thing about the stringers...turning radius.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are many of us that knew NOTHING about these boats and drives. Myself, my story is most likely not unusual. This fall I went boat shopping for the first time with a few bucks to buy something for the family to enjoy next summer. After looking at about 30 boats, most not worth the powder to blow them to H##l. I came home with 86 glastron with a cobra drive and 3.0 motor. The boat was clean and appeared to be well taken care of, Even still have the plastic cobra emblems on the side of the drive that covers those screws you never touch. The boat needs BTB seats as they all did. Took it to the lake and it runs like new. Bought the manuals,winterized it , changed all the fluids and put it down for the winter. Then discovered there are forums to help people like me only to find I have made a huge mistake buying an OMC, Very Dishartning. For what it's worth.

Don S

Then discovered there are forums to help people like me only to find I have made a huge mistake buying an OMC, Very Dishartning. For what it's worth.

It's a 3.0L and a Cobra. I don't really see a reason to worry at this point.
Make sure you change the gear lube properly (not like Mercruisers or what your friend down the street with an out board says) and take care of it, ask questions and hopefully you have the OEM manuals not the junky Seloc and Clymers manuals.
You have all winter to get ready for spring.

The Adults Only sticky at the top of the page has some good info for winterizing and summerizing. Did you read them.
Hate to find out you winterized the wrong way and loose your engine.

flyer4ever

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes I have the real manual and the seloc manual, big difference! I Did the gear oil change in the drive and then filling in steps from mid drain screw. Motor oil with 30wt and new filter. Pulled the drive,gimble smooth as silk,no water and greased u-joints.Bellows are soft and clean. I'm hoping to get a year or two out of this first boat and I'm not the type to beat up machinery. In fact I'm a bit of a maintaince freak. Thanks