Older Boats Not Welcome at Lake George, NY

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
We should have a sticky on boat launches.
A State-by-State list.
It would be an immense undertaking to create that list, but we might be able to achieve it with member input.

ahicks

Captain
We should have a sticky on boat launches.
A State-by-State list.
It would be an immense undertaking to create that list, but we might be able to achieve it with member input.
Several states have so many launches you would pretty much need to go county by county to keep them organized.....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Several states have so many launches you would pretty much need to go county by county to keep them organized.....
Yeah, I guess the whole thing would be too much to list.
There would be so many lakes, rivers, bays, shorelines, etc. to cover, it would be impossible.

matt167

Captain
google will compile a list quickly based on the lake your interested in.

FloatKi

Recruit
New guy here. I just inherited a 1998 21ft Caravelle 209 from my FIL. Alpha One Gen2, 5.0 Merc 2bbl, 200 hours. Always trailered. I know it's an oddball. Boat needed a good rotary buffing, and little things fixed- Tach, limit switch etc... I repaired everything, did fluids and gave it a full detail. Looks brand friggin new.

We typically use Lake George in NY because we live 30min away. Before taking ownership and becoming the boat's caretaker, we have taken it to a few different marinas for launching. Now that I control the boat I'd like to use it more and have been inquiring about trailer launching memberships at various marinas. The one I like the most said they have a strict no boats older than 2005 policy in their trailer launch or dock program. It was explained that they do not have parts available for the older boats in case we break down or they winterize it. Huh?

1) The alpha is still current 2) A lot of parts are universal and are spec'd to multiple engine/outdrive combos 3) If you don't have alpha merc parts I'm not sure you can service anything.

Has anybody even heard of such a policy anywhere? It seems completely ignorant and they are just trying to pander to big money boats.
Well Bomoseen isn't much farther away (or closer depending on where you are coming from) and Mr Woodard at Woodard Marine is an Old boat (much older than yours) guru. They have an awesome staff. I've rented Pontoons from them to take my elderly Father in law out and they have always been accommodating. The parts staff helped me last weekend getting more items for my 73 Glastron... I can't say enough good about that place.