Oil Pressure guage pegged over 80

Neted

Seaman Apprentice
I haves 2006 VP Gi-F the oil gauge pegs to the right, my mechanic tested the gauge and he told me its something on the engine side, not the gauge. Is this just the sender on the top of the block or could it be something else? The engine runs great. Thanks for any help with this.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Oil Pressure guage pegged over 80

Could be the sender. Usually is. You can also hook up a mechanical gauge to see if the pressure is normal or not.

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

I'm sure the oil pressure is fine I've run it for at least 10 hours and everything sounds and feels fine. Don, would you recommend I just replace the sender?

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

Could be the sender. Usually is. You can also hook up a mechanical gauge to see if the pressure is normal or not.

Mechanical gauge shows oil pressure normal, new sender did not help. Mechanic thinks it could be the computer?? does anyone know what each of the three wires do? green/red stripe, black/green stripe, blue? any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Don S

Could also be a faulty gauge.

What engine do you have? Is it a 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, or 8.1 ?????? All you say is Gi-F

Has your mechanic hooked the ECM to a scan tool to check for codes? Is your mechanic a trained Volvo tech.

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

Could also be a faulty gauge.

What engine do you have? Is it a 4.3, 5.0, 5.7, or 8.1 ?????? All you say is Gi-F

Has your mechanic hooked the ECM to a scan tool to check for codes? Is your mechanic a trained Volvo tech.

The Mechanic had checked the gauge initially and said it was ok. the engine is a 5.7 Gi-F 2006. I'm waiting to find out if they checked the ECM for codes will advise.

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

I'm told my boat does not have a DLC? Not sure what this is but they could not read the ECM!

Technologic80

Seaman

I'm told my boat does not have a DLC? Not sure what this is but they could not read the ECM!

This should be your first clue to find a new mechanic.

DLC = Data Link Connector. You have one.

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

This should be your first clue to find a new mechanic.

DLC = Data Link Connector. You have one.

Thanks Technologic, I think the DLC may have been moved when the exhaust risers were replaced last season. They are going to look for it again today and try and read any codes. Will advise the results. Ed

Technologic80

Seaman

Thanks Technologic, I think the DLC may have been moved when the exhaust risers were replaced last season. They are going to look for it again today and try and read any codes. Will advise the results. Ed

Any good marine mechanic will have the necessary scan tool not only to just read codes; but also to read live data. Such tools are an absolute necessity these days with EFI/MPI. A sensor could be going bad and not setting a code, thats why just checking for codes can be futile sometimes. Really, a scan tool that is not a basic one is needed to 'read' the sensor data.

I have twin VP 4.3 TBI engines. My DLC's are right in front of the throttle bodys, they sit atop of the thermostat housing. I have no idea how anybody would move them without a.) cutting them off, which would likely cause problems with the ECM and your engines performance b.) adding a bunch of additional wires to relocate it. Volvo Penta gives like 5" of wiring for the DLC and thats it. You cannot move it anywhere, at least on my engines.

Don S

He's probably looking for the old MEFI type DLC, you have the EGC setup on your F model.

The connector now looks like this. Untitled1.jpg

Neted

Seaman Apprentice

Finally got her hooked up to a computer! The boats Computer not sending correct info to gauge. I really don't want to replace computer unless this is a sign it's about to totally fail. A friend of mine who dabbles with engines suggested running a two wire sender from a second port directly to the gauge so I'd have a reading but still have the computer to shut the engine down if oil pressure suddenly drops. Does this sound like a logical fix?