Merc Control Box Issues

BoatMan95

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 64 merc control box and there are several issues:

-shifting is hard, seems cables are stiff. I assume I need new cables, thought I'd ask.
-When you shift into forward, the warming lever flips up,not sure what this is about. I have taken the box apart and the all looks like it should. But not sure if this is related to bad cables or what.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Merc Control Box Issues

But not sure if this is related to bad cables or what.

Ayuh,... Install a set of New Cables,+ Try it....

Moody Blue

Captain

I would disconnect the cables from the motor end then try them. You can't be sure if the cables are the problem or the motor linkages.

Did you clean and re-lube the mechanism in the control box when you had it apart?

BoatMan95

Cadet

Thanks to both posts.

I did clean and greased the box, the warming level still has to move up before you can shift.. even with the cables disconnected. The shifting cable moved easily and the throttle is very stiff.

Fuzzytbay

Chief Petty Officer

Did you check if the throtle cable moves easily while disconnected from the engine?
There is a grease nipple on the distibutor shaft, that may need to be greased
that would make the throtle feel stiff, if it needs grease.

BoatMan95

Cadet

Thanks for the posts.

I had greased the zerk a few years back and all moves well when separated from the cable.

Today, I went to Seaway Marine and bought a new cable and that did it. It shifts much smother now, so well I can feel the cam is bad. I had a sense it was when I cleaned it tonight and it looked really warn. I guess I cannot complain, 45 years is a long time for something to hold up.

The motor popped right off and runs smooth. I replaced the upper and lower mounts a few years back and it made all the difference in the running of the engine.

It was shaking so bad it would hardly run, did not know that would do that.

Well that's it for now, I will be sure to pass along this forum to my buddy who has a mid 80's merc 125.

Thanks again guys,
Mike
Seattle