oil oil oil...

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oil oil oil...

Originally posted by pecheux:<br /><br /><br />I did try that HPI in a 9.9 Johnson that ran on Castrol super outboard oil most of its life and I was astonished with so many improvements ... enough to say I ll stick with it. That motor imediatly started to behave like a 12 hp ... including smoother idling, less engine noise, and faster WOT speed.<br /><br /><br />Is that Merc premium plus a synthetic oil ?<br /><br />Cheers to Y'awl.
Have you ever heard of the Placebo effect? I challenge you or anyone else to provide peer reviewed, scientific data that backs up such claims. Spew from Amsoils or anyone else's website does not constititute data.<br /> I will say this. After playing around with a variety of oils, both syn, mineral, and blends I have never heard a engine sound differant, have more performance, or have better economy from a switch in oil.<br /><br /><br />Premium plus is a synthetic blend oil. It performs very well as I have tested for over 1000 hours on 14 differant motors. Ditto with Yamalube 2m.

LubeDude

Admiral

Might as well keep this thread going, its lasted this long.<br /><br />I have had four personal boats over the last 30+ years. One with an 85 HP merc, one with an 85 HP Evenrude, one with a 75 HP Evenrude and now one with a 150 Merc..<br /><br />The 85 Merc I ran with Quicksilver and fresh fuel the first few times out, after changing to the 100:1 Amsoil at 80:1 and fishing all day, by the time I ran back to the dock and there after, it had gained about 100 RPM at WOT, I have found this to be the norm on engines of 75 HP and up. The 85 was ran on Amsoil at 80:1 also as was the 75 HP. I now run my Merc 150 on the HP Injector oil and have experienced about 150 RPM change. It was decarbed before use and ran on Quicksilver also for about a tankfull. All the above engines were ran for a period of time on Quicksiver oil before the switch took place. I dont think I could count the number of engines I have changed over for other people over the years and the ones I still am in contact with are still using the Amsoil. So, although not scientific at all this does say something.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Does the 100 RPM go away when you switch back to Quicksilver? What if you run it at 80:1? I wonder what a tablespoon of Bon-Ami will do for my compression?<br /><br />Oh, I shouldn't be jabbing with knives here. Regrets. :D

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Ben, I got placebo'ed when using a fuel additive once, upon scientific evaluation I found that I only tricked myself into thinking the sound was different and the mileage was better. So, anymore I use the scientific approach. Chief Chief

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have observed RPM's to varry by up to a couple hundred depending on barometric pressure and water conditions.<br />Its never been documented that synthetic two stroke oils increase rpm by a substantial degree. I believe many people thank this because the old wives tail regarding synthetics as being "slicker" that sticks in manys minds. Of Course this is non sense. <br />BTW there is a SAE paper Authored by Mc Culloch that provided a two stroke engine made more hp with greater oils concentrations up until fouling became a issue. This shoots all sorts of holes in the Amsoil peddlers ascertation that 100:1 ratios make more HP.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have observed RPM's to varry by up to a couple hundred depending on barometric pressure and water conditions.<br />Its never been documented that synthetic two stroke oils increase rpm by a substantial degree. I believe many people thank this because the old wives tail regarding synthetics as being "slicker" that sticks in manys minds. Of Course this is non sense. <br />BTW there is a SAE paper Authored by Mc Culloch that provided a two stroke engine made more hp with greater oils concentrations up until fouling became a issue. This shoots all sorts of holes in the Amsoil peddlers ascertation that 100:1 ratios make more HP.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ben is the hawk lake ontario up by wawa?as for me im using penzzoil semi syn.i troll lots and use a trolling plate and my 90hp rude. never misses a beat.this subject could be a never ending saga for sure lol.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

No, we are loacted in NW Ontario by kenora.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here is a test that was ran that will spread some ink in this forum.<br /><br />2 motors each 115 hp were installed on a large boat. one OMC one Mercury<br /><br />Each had its gas tank, OMC with Omc oil, Merc with Qwicksilver. Both motor ran WOT for a while and rpm were noted. Then tanks were switched (with adaptors) and both engine were again taken to WOT for a while and a 600 rpm drop showed on each motors.<br /><br />Original tanks were put back on their original motors Omc with Omc mix and Merc with Quicksilver and taken to WOT for a while again and both engines recovered their original rpm's<br /><br />THis test was ran to evaluated recommended mfg oil for each engines. Prooved right !<br /><br />NB: that was using original mfg non-synthetic oil

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by Bassin' Fever AKA LubeDude:<br /> ...after changing to the 100:1 Amsoil at 80:1 it had gained about 100 RPM at WOT
You post this over and over, failing to recognize the effects of changing the fuel/oil ratio.<br /><br />A 100:1 oil used at 80:1 will result in a much more volatile gas/oil mixture than a 50:1 mix. Gasoline is more volatile than oil. This effects the combustion process, even things like combustion timing, and cylinder temperatures, etc. It also changes the air/fuel mixture. Less oil means more fuel in its place, for the same amount of air. Fuel is engery. Again, this can have effects on the combustion process.<br /><br />I would not be surprised if you saw an increase in RPM by running any oil/gas mix at 80:1.<br /><br /><br />It was decarbed before use<br /><br />Decarbing an outboard, and then running a tankful of fuel with different oils in it under different conditions can result in all kinds of results.<br /><br />From what I understand AKA LubeDude, you are/were an Amsoil dealer. I have read many of your past posts and you make some outlandish comments regarding Amsoil, and oil in general.<br /><br />I spent much of my life testing outboard oils for an accredited testing facility. Amsoil is just oil...with a bunch of hype. BTW, Yamalube set the standards and was the reference oil for the NMMA TCW3 testing and certification process.<br /><br />There is always an explanation for increases in performance. I would like you to explain what Amsoil's is.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

"Each had its gas tank, OMC with Omc oil, Merc with Qwicksilver. Both motor ran WOT for a while and rpm were noted. Then tanks were switched (with adaptors) and both engine were again taken to WOT for a while and a 600 rpm drop showed on each motors."<br />BS! OMC and Merc oil are made by the same company!Using simular base oils and additive types.<br />"outlandish comments regarding Amsoil, and oil in general."<br /> I agree.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will say this. After playing around with a variety of oils, both syn, mineral, and blends I have never heard a engine sound differant, have more performance, or have better economy from a switch in oil.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ben: I have done the same as you in experimentation with oils on motorbikes, outboards, and cars. ... only I have found multiple variations in end results in oposition to your flat consistency .. which only confirms 'different strokes to different folks'. LOL

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your findings as well as many others who make such claims have never been verfied as being attributed to the use of synthetic oil...and its not from lack of research as syn lubes have been studied in depth. So ya I am calling BS.
Syn lubes are not wonder lubes and not all of them are even better than their dino counterparts. In some applications synthetics are in fact inferior. just ask Mobil about there synthetic air craft oils.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bwalker: I have to agree with you on this one ... syn lubes are wonder lubes ... and yes I agree that in some applications syn are inferior due to some specific requirements ex: harley davidson

But as far as everything else we have discussed or that I brought up ... no offense but you'r loose on the BS returns. (shooting without a cause .. LOL)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I posted in this thread already. Nevrmind...:%

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Pechaux, it hink you woudl ahvea hard time challenging me on the facts, but go ahead and try. I'm waiting.:%

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Bwalker: I write on this forum for the pleasure of sharing info ... not to argue ... nor to compete with anyone ... nor to challenge anybody ... nor to get smart by sharing my experiences. Result from you is that you just about called me a liar on this board. I dont recall you being in the boat with me ... Any problem I am not aware of ?