oil oil oil...

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: oil oil oil...

Originally posted by fullsize_chevy:<br /> Just as a followup.....<br /><br />I've burned a gallon and a half of walmart oil (blue bottle). The engine runs just a smooth, if not smoother, on the walmart oil.
:p :p It would run smoother with Synthetic :p :p <br /><br />Or just put cotton in your ears, its a lot cheaper. :D makes a world of difference. ;)

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I ran the Wally oil with no problems for years. I switched to the Penzoil synth blend, and the greatest improvement I saw was less smoke. I have done too many other things to say that a performance gain was acheived, but less smoke is just fine by me.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

You did exactly what you needed to, and that is, to do the test, to settle for what you feel comfy using. All the properly rated oils will work just fine. And, even SOME of the not so rated oils will work just fine. Chief

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hey y'awl,<br />question: Motor brands have related recommended oils.<br /><br />Mercury = Quicksilver or mercury<br />Omc = Omc<br />McCullock = McCullok (red)<br /><br />What was the related oil for Chrysler and Force ?<br /><br />Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Internetoutboards, Thank you, but I never heard of these Chrysler and Force oils ... what would be the equivalent now a days ?<br /><br />Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Jason : Now that's a REAL nice fishing boat. I used to own a central console 21 footer with a 115 Merc that turned out to be a dream boat. One you could walk in without any side tipping.<br /><br />Downgraded to a 14 footer for lighter usage ... still happy .. LOL<br /><br />Congrad,

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

guys ... I just spend a few hours on the river with my Johnson 9.9 experimenting on my friend's behalf (and mine) the ex Merc dealer, with Amsoil Injector 50:1 Trolled for a few hours, with WOT between fishing spots.<br /><br />I have been running this motor with Castrol (who bottles for OMC) and it always ran super good.<br /><br />But this time with the Amsoil oil it ran GREAT ... I mean what a diffence in sound, steadier idling, higher WOT Rpm, kwick instant accelerations, hardy ANY smoke ... it reacted like a 12 hp. Those pistons just felt like they were running slicker. I know I would be more credible if I had'nt been shooting my mouth (words) about my intention of using their oil .. but these are the facts I ll be reporting to my Merc friend.<br /><br />One neg note ... he had warned me about OMC oil being parafin based which fills the gap between pistons and cylinder walls ... With the Amsoil Injector in the gas I could ear some slight (very light) metal clicking at times at very low rpm. (I troll for bass)<br /><br />Would like some mecanic comments on that part.<br /><br />Tx

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just a note:<br /><br />There was a meeting between my ex Mercury dealer friend and an Amsoil dealer a few days ago. <br /><br />Following that meeting my friend told me the full sinthetic Amsoil Injector oil contained the exact additives as the Mercury/Quicksilver oil which is a semi-sinthetic oil to start with, official or not.<br /><br />Cheers

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

For instance, Walmart oil is actually by shell, Yamaha is Exxon Mobil, etc. It's quite interesting.
Yamaha 2M as sold in the USA and Canada is produced by Citgo. Caltex(AKA Chevron) and Mobil also produce Yamalube, but only for other markets.<br />
I noticed that one of my favorites, Castrol, changed manufacturers from 04 to 05 - from Castrol to BP.[/QUOTE<br /> BP has owned castrol for years. They are one and the same.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by pecheux:<br /> Just a note:<br /><br />There was a meeting between my ex Mercury dealer friend and an Amsoil dealer a few days ago. <br /><br />Following that meeting my friend told me the full sinthetic Amsoil Injector oil contained the exact additives as the Mercury/Quicksilver oil which is a semi-sinthetic oil to start with, official or not.Cheers
I very much doubt that, us dealers are not given any secrets from Amsoil so he would have no Idea what he is talking about. <br /><br /> Just another Amsoil Dealer running off at the mouth!

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most two stroke oils contain the same additives. Same for motor oils. It the formulation, base oil and concentrations that are key.<br /> Most dealers know shat about the oil they sell.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Ben Walker:<br /> Most two stroke oils contain the same additives. Same for motor oils. It the formulation, base oil and concentrations that are key.<br /> Most dealers know shat about the oil they sell.
Now that right there is a mouthfull and all true. :p

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Lubedude: the friend I am writing about is a Merc motor and quicksilver oil expert ... I presume the Amsoil dealer that visited him was also an oil expert ..<br /><br />they were comparing notes regarding additives and found similarities ... Now I dont know if this was a coincidence or the Amsoil dealer was JUST SAYING that to please him.<br /><br />this friend of mine is a much higher authority in the 2 cylcle lubrification than any Amsoil dealers that I have talked to lately. <br /><br />With all due respect I must add that I found that many Amsoil dealers are semi-retired or retired people who had nothing to do with engine lubrification in their career prior to becoming Amsoil dealers.<br /><br />My friend has 42 years experience as both an outboard mecanic (all brands) and about 25 as a Mercury dealer ... and stil opererates one of the most trusted shop in the province. <br /><br />You still beleve he does'nt know what he is talking about ? <br /><br />On a more positive note I just ran a 8 hours test FOR HIM with my Johson using Amsoil Injector oil ... he is satisfied with my result reporting ... and dedicated enough for wanting to know.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Maybe he would agree to come online and share some of his knowledge with us. I would welcome his input....

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

rickdb1boat: good thinking ... but unfortunatly after working 70 hours in his shop (peak season), only his wife is allowed to ask anything from him ... LOL

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Pecheux, I believe BF was refering to the AMSOIL dealer not knowing what he was talking about. As he said in the post, the AMSOIL dealers are not privy to the information regarding additives/formulation. So if he told your buddy what was in the oil, he was BS'ing him.

Bwalker

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never met a Amsoil dealer who I felt wasnt full of crap. Most have no training or background in tribology. The like to blow their mouths off about decreased wear rates, smoother running etc, but they have no data to back up what they are saying. <br />I have tested more than a few Amsoil products and some were decent and some were not. I do not think they are any better than the lubes offered by the OEMS. In fact I would say when it comes to out board oils HPI is inferior to Merc premium plus and Yamalube 2m.<br /> As for outboard delears knowledge of oil. Most have no knowledge of the subject other than to reccomend the stuff they sell and I have delt with the biggest Merc dealer in canada.

pecheux

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dave Abrahamson: Thanks for getting me back online ... next time I ll put my reading glasses on ... lol hummm ... nice boat<br /><br />Lubedude: I apologise for getting on your case ... either way I m sure you meant well.<br /><br />Ben Walker: I am very curious when it comes to oil and lubrification ... must be in my genes since my father's bro was a lube tech for Veedoll (then Castrol) back a while. <br /><br />I did try that HPI in a 9.9 Johnson that ran on Castrol super outboard oil most of its life and I was astonished with so many improvements ... enough to say I ll stick with it. That motor imediatly started to behave like a 12 hp ... including smoother idling, less engine noise, and faster WOT speed.<br /><br />I m hoping for similar results with my new Force 15hp.<br /><br />Is that Merc premium plus a synthetic oil ?<br /><br />Cheers to Y'awl.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Dave Abrahamson:<br /> Pecheux, I believe BF was refering to the AMSOIL dealer not knowing what he was talking about. As he said in the post, the AMSOIL dealers are not privy to the information regarding additives/formulation. So if he told your buddy what was in the oil, he was BS'ing him.
Yep that was my intent.<br /><br />I personally havnt ever found Any Amsoil product I have used Not to perform better than the product I replaced it with. Be it 2 Cycle, Motorcycle, weedeater, outboard, car or truck. Now thats over about 30 years of fooling with it. That has to say something. Scientific, Not hardly, but I still use it in most everything and will continue and always will.<br /><br />Actually the only thing I tried it in and went back to conventional oil was my RX7, I think it lubed fine and was clean burning, but the oil ran down into the bottom of the combustion area and pooled up giving me very smokey startups after setting for a couple days. Now I really think that my oil injectors are leaking down and its not the oils fault. The Dello Im using now does it some, but not as bad.