oil oil oil...

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: oil oil oil...

WallMart oils are a great bargain. There synthetic oils are a great deal also, even though a group III, you dont pay a group IV price for it like you do the Castrol stuff, (Syntech)! The only oil I wouldnt use in its aplication would be there diesel oil, Its just not up to the job, IMHO. <br /><br />The only problem I see with there oils is that you never really know who is making it, they change whenever it suits them. It used to be Quaker State, now I beieve some of it to be warren, (Valvoline), and some of it is Shell. (Pennzoil).

Scali

Petty Officer 1st Class

This topic is an eyeopener, I trust the opinons of these guys, I believe I now finally know the truth about the cheap vs expensive oil debate, :)

lund17

Petty Officer 1st Class

This is by far the most civil thread on oil I've seen so far :D Very nice manners LubeDude ;) I've been running the Pennzoil semi-syn based on posts I've read and do believe I've seen a reduction in smoke, especially cold. I tend to agree with D. Follow the voices and be comfortable in your own mind with what you decide. Diligence is more important than brand.<br /><br />Thanks to all here whose advice has made me a more confident boat owner.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by neil2fish:<br /> This is by far the most civil thread on oil I've seen so far :D Very nice manners LubeDude ;)
:D :D :D <br /><br /> "OIL" Buy what your vehicle requires, whatever brand, use it, change it regularly, be happy! <br /><br />Now with that said, there are those engines that have a sludge problem with cheap oils, its up to you to know if you have one of those engines. If you do you need to use a better quality oil. By "Better" I mean a synthetic.

Dave Abrahamson

Lieutenant

Originally posted by neil2fish:<br /> This is by far the most civil thread on oil I've seen so far
That's because you-know-who hasn't showed up to pretty much repute whatever "member lubedude" says. ;)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by Dave Abrahamson:<br /> That's because you-know-who hasn't showed up.
:D :D <br /><br />Havnt seen, "You know who", around for awhile. :confused:

mattttt25

Commander

i miss you know who. one of the most intelligent members on this board.

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

It's nice to have LubeDude as a member as well, guys..<br />His knowledge has helped alot of people as well.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by mattttt25:<br /> i miss you know who. one of the most intelligent members on this board.
:eek: I have to agree, he does know his stuff :eek: Even if I have to say it myself. We just have a different type of education and way of looking at things! Allthough I did find out that he has had his hands dirty in the past.<br /><br />I know you all might find it hard to believe, but Im glad he is here, he keeps me on the straight and narrow so to speak. I just wish he had more time to just hang with the guys so we could find out a little more about him.

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice

Well, here's what I'm gonna do...Supertech it is for the next tank or two. If the engine seems to run any different than it currently does using the quicksilver prem+, I'll let everyone know. FYI...you can go to NMMA.org and take a look at who is behind alot of the oils. For instance, Walmart oil is actually by shell, Yamaha is Exxon Mobil, etc. It's quite interesting.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by fullsize_chevy:<br /> Walmart oil is actually by shell, Yamaha is Exxon Mobil, etc. It's quite interesting.
Actually if you look down or up the list, you will see that there are two different Supertech TC-W3 oils, one from Warren, one from shell, I dont know for sure which one is which, there is a white bottle, and a blue bottle. Why 2???? Beats me, or to which one is the best? Dunno! :confused:

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by LubeDude:<br />
Originally posted by fullsize_chevy:<br /> Walmart oil is actually by shell, Yamaha is Exxon Mobil, etc. It's quite interesting.
Actually if you look down or up the list, you will see that there are two different Supertech TC-W3 oils, one from Warren, one from shell, I dont know for sure which one is which, there is a white bottle, and a blue bottle. Why 2???? Beats me, or to which one is the best? Dunno! :confused:
I noticed that one of my favorites, Castrol, changed manufacturers from 04 to 05 - from Castrol to BP. Reading these lists is interesting. I didn't look much further that, that other to make some of the same observations that you did - that there's a lot of relationships between different brands and major companies.<br /><br />Another thing I notice at the nmma site -that the term TCW3 is trademarked? I seem to remember thinking or being told at some point that what we were lookign for on the container was tht nmma trade mark and that tcw3 oils without it weren't actually certified. Now am I correct in thinking that just by using the term tcw3, they are approved/certified by NMMA? Not that it makes any difference to me, but I'm curious. <br /><br />Are there any outboard oils you know of that don't actually use the TCW3 nomenclature - or are there any you know of that aren't certified by the NMMA?

BillP

Captain

[/quote]I noticed that one of my favorites, Castrol, changed manufacturers from 04 to 05 - from Castrol to BP. Reading these lists is interesting. I didn't look much further that, that other to make some of the same observations that you did - that there's a lot of relationships between different brands and major companies. <br /><br />
Another thing I notice at the nmma site -that the term TCW3 is trademarked? I seem to remember thinking or being told at some point that what we were lookign for on the container was tht nmma trade mark and that tcw3 oils without it weren't actually certified. Now am I correct in thinking that just by using the term tcw3, they are approved/certified by NMMA? Not that it makes any difference to me, but I'm curious. <br /><br /> Are there any outboard oils you know of that don't actually use the TCW3 nomenclature - or are there any you know of that aren't certified by the NMMA? <br /><br />Changes in mfg for NMMA oils are common if you look back over the yrs. SuperTech at our local Wallyworld is in the blue container. <br /><br />The NMMA sez oils that don't have their certification cannot use their seal or advertise as being TCW-3 certified. Otherwise they take legal action against the oil company. That doesn't say an oil company can't advertise "use where TCW-3 is specified". Unfortunately, the way some advertising presents it, consumers believe that means the oil IS certified and unknowingly buy oil that isn't. Look for the official NMMA TCW-3 seal on the container for finding oil that is actually certified.

gss036

Commander

I haven't looked at that area of the TCW3, but there are many oils out there that are sold for 2 stroke engines and most eill tell you on the label they are not intended for outboard, marine use. Wally Mart has one for snowmobiles, motorcycles, weed eaters, etc.<br />My Husky chain saw manual specifically says not to use TCW oils in it.<br />One needs to read the labels before putting the oils in an unknown engine.<br />Personally, I use Penzoil Premium Blend in my 89 200 hp Merc.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

That's because 2 stroke oils are engineered to burn best at certain temperature ranges. Air cooled motors vs water cooled moters,etc.

TheOilDoc

Petty Officer 1st Class

The price of an oil has little to do with its performance. There are some higher quality oils that are less expensive than some lower quality oils, and vise-versa. <br /><br />Both the Walmart and Quicksilver oils will exceed the TC-W3 requirements of the Merc outboard.<br /><br />If you want some kind of peace of mind, and can afford it, then go with the OEM oil. If you prefer to save a buck for bait and still provide your outboard with everything it needs, then get the Walmart oil. The choice is yours. I'd feel completely comfortable doing either, as the TC-W3 rating is what really matters.

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

TCW - two cycle water(outboard) - best not to use in two cycle air cooled (chain saws, weed eaters,etc.)<br />PCW(jetskis) has its own recommended oil<br />If you have an Academy store near you - Merc oil cheaper than Wally World. Merc Plus oil about $12/gal.

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Try this trick next time you go shopping. Go to the aisle with the instant coffee. Look at the more expensive brands and on the back you'll see a freephone contact number and probably a best before date and batch number. Now look at the generic shops own brands and look for the contact numbers. Bet that some of them are the same. The real clue as to who made it is how the batch codes and BB dates are printed and where they are printed. Same applies to bottles of oil.

fullsize_chevy

Seaman Apprentice

Just as a followup.....<br /><br />I've burned a gallon and a half of walmart oil (blue bottle). The engine runs just a smooth, if not smoother, on the walmart oil.